Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
babelfish

Re: Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Postby babelfish » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:32 pm

I like their ribs better without sauce, the sauce covers up the taste of pork and smoke. Same for the brisket...but as for the pulled pork I don't mind drenching that in their homemade sauce. Sometimes there isn't homemade sauce on every table, so just look for a plain red squeeze bottle at an empty table nearby...can be mistaken for a ketchup bottle.

PPP, I will see you Fri for lunch, I will come early because I expect you will be busy.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Ms Vilas and I finally gave PPP's a try today. We went early (afraid they might run out of ribs). They were great and so were the sides. Plently of leftovers for tomorrow. Pete is fixing up the place. Decor includes saguaro cacti made from landscape timbers. Sounds still echo in the place. Guess they need more stuff on the walls.

A+++

Jennlee

Postby Jennlee » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:29 am

Tried Porky Pine Pete's last night. I'll definitely be back. Had the brisket and pulled pork dinner and both were excellent (I'd give the high score to the brisket though, which is a surprise to me as I'm a Pork girl (OK, that sounds weird)). One companion had the half rack of ribs and found them very tender and tasty. Another companion had the Piggy Pile South (pulled pork sandwich with slaw on top) and loved it. Beans and slaw were great and the roll with my meal was amazing. We didn't experience any problems with food having run out, etc, but we were there on the early side.

The style of the BBQ itself reminded me of some excellent BBQ I've had in Alabama and the Florida panhandle. Yum!

I agree that the space is a bit awkward and echo-y. Maybe a bit of a layout change to the dining room would help? Have the current seating closer together so it's not like a giant vacant room in the middle. Also, they really should have some info on how service/seating works when you first come in, because it was awkward not to know it was counter service, and then to mill around by the counter reading the lengthy and difficult-to-read-due-to-crazy-font menu. Still, when the food came out, we forgave it entirely!

I didn't see any homemade BBQ sauce, and that was my only disappointment in the area of the food. Staff were pleasant, but not super friendly - low key I guess. The decor and staff attire were in theme, but not as cheese-tastic as one might fear. I also give them major kudos for not having the standard BBQ decor of smiling pigs all over the place.

I really hope PPP stays! We need a good BBQ place in this part of town.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 am

Jennlee wrote:I also give them major kudos for not having the standard BBQ decor of smiling pigs all over the place.

Ain't that the truth.

okiebp

Postby okiebp » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30 am

tried it too.
thought it was very good. had the brisket sandwich.
very good flavor, huge sandwich!
i was also a little disappointed in not seeing any homemade BBQ sauce.
I had the mashed taters, very good.
I'll go back.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 pm

it's a true and very secret fact that the homemade bbq sauce is in generic ketchup containers. not advertised and seemingly not even known by some of the staff. nevertheless it is there. i had some the other day. delicious.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:09 am

Finally made it to this place last night. The service was great, and the food arrived quickly. My wife and I split the ribs/pulled pork/brisket platter and a pulled pork Reuben. Way too much food. All great, but the ribs were the clear standout. I'll be hard pressed to order anything else next time. Had the beans and mashed taters for sides. Both great. Love the homemade sauce.

Really hope this place succeeds.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:
Really hope this place succeeds.

So do I. I also hope Pete's disappearance from the forum is due to him being too busy with the restaurant to deal with keeping up with the forum fray, rather than him being turned off by a few disparaging posts from a couple of dumb asses.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 am

Seriously? Give the guy some credit. He had the balls to open a big new resto in a big old recession, can't imagine he'd be deterred by a few unfavorable comments among a flood of praise.

babelfish

Postby babelfish » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Having met Pete, he doesn't seem like the type that scares easily. I'm guessing he no longer needs to spend time advertising.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:13 pm

I had the tres banditos. I am a pulled-pork man. Of the beef brisket, pulled-pork and ribs, I liked the ribs best. Triple P stopped by to see how our meal was, which was nice. My dining companion remarked they were no longer using paper for orders but had a pos system.

I'd love to see a vinegar-based hot sauce on the table.

Smoked rice and fried roll where the champions, my friend.

raw-tracks
Forum Addict

Postby raw-tracks » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:23 pm

john_titor wrote:
I'd love to see a vinegar-based hot sauce on the table.

+1 !

I definitely think PPP needs some vinegar based sauce on the table. For me, that's what complements BBQ. Especially pulled pork.

Kovalic

Postby Kovalic » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:03 am

babelfish wrote:I like their ribs better without sauce, the sauce covers up the taste of pork and smoke.

"Sauce is for suckers." - Athony Bourdain. :-)

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:05 am

i never put sauce on their ribs. i do use a little of their homemade sauce on the pulled pork and brisket.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:32 am

I also prefer my ribs naked, with just dry rub, although the vinegar based sauce that Big Mama and Uncle Fat's (RIP) used was very good. I used to order a full rack, half dry rub and half with the vinegar sauce. I've only been to Pete's once, so I'll try a little of the vinegar sauce the next time, since it is now available.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”