Jeni's Ice Creams at Fromagination

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Will you buy an $11 pint of ice cream?

Yes
20%
No
47%
Already did
33%

Total votes: 15

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Jeni's Ice Creams at Fromagination

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 04, 2010 2:47 pm

Let's get one thing out of the way. These pints are in no way inexpensive. $10.50 is an awful lot to pay for a pint of ice cream.

But have you tried it?

I've had the good fortune of sampling a number of Jeni's flavors thanks to friends who frequent Columbus, OH (the home of Jeni's) and also by way of a couple mail-orders.

I love Babcock, and I love Michael's, and I love Chocolate Shoppe. But no one in town makes ice cream like this. And Fromagination only has a fraction of the flavors Jeni's produces. Thai Chili with Krema peanut butter, cayenne pepper, and coconut. Cherry Lambic. Brown Butter Almond Brittle.

If you like ice cream, I encourage you to silence whatever indignation you might harbor over the price tag (after all, it'd be $15 a pint to mail-order), and just buy one. Buy the Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Cherries. Buy the Salty Caramel (although you'll have to wait until this weekend, as Fromagination sold out of this flavor within hours of its debut on 5/1).

Then come back here and talk about whether it's worth it or not.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Jeni's Ice Creams at Fromagination

Postby depinmad » Tue May 04, 2010 3:32 pm

Saying you love Michaels does not fill me with confidence RE your ice cream/custard taste.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Oh no, will your opinion of me go even lower?

I'll admit to basing my approval of Michael's mostly on the cherry soda they serve, and that they do the K9 custard thing. Let's say I love them as a local institution, although I'm more likely to go to Culver's for custard than Michael's.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue May 04, 2010 4:05 pm

ok, you are now back up to my former level of disapproval. carry on.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm

All right, all right! I'm not a huge ice cream fan, and my IC tastes are pretty pedestrian (Haagen Dazs strawberry is my default), but you had me at goat cheese and roasted red cherries. Wish Fromagination were open later—it's just around the Square, but I'm rarely home early enough to get there on a weeknight. But I'll hit it this weekend.

beenie
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Tue May 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Even if I'm never able to justify the price ever again, I will definitely be trying the Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Cherries, as well as the Cherry Lambic.

Especially in the case of the latter, I fear it will become an expensive addiction.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. A friend of mine occasionally brings chevre ice cream to get-togethers so we will see who makes the better version soon enough. I wonder if it will be good enough to disprove my rather current discovery/belief that semifreddo is the best form of "creamy dessert from the freezer" ...

ryanatjenis

Postby ryanatjenis » Thu May 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Hey, folks -- it's Ryan at Jeni's.

really Really REALLY excited to have our pints in Madison, particularly at Fromagination; it's a great fit.

Couple things about our ice cream worth noting:

We make it in small batches, by hand -- from start to finish.

100% of our dairy -- we get it from Snowville Creamery -- comes from a single pasture-raised herd. (Here's a piece about Snowville from The Washington Post a couple weeks back: http://bit.ly/came0Z.)

There's no egg -- the absence of which you can both taste and feel.

When we make the Strawberry Buttermilk that you'll be getting in a couple weeks, the strawberries are delivered to our kitchen the very same day that our friends at Wayward Seed Farm pick them.
Our flavor calendar is a direct reflection of the Ohio growing season; we use the freshest possible ingredients.

Our pints aren't cheap by any means, no.

But if you decide to spring for some... we think you'll find it surprising and delightful. Splendid, even.

If you have a taste, let us know what you think :)

nichole

Postby nichole » Fri May 07, 2010 12:56 pm

beenie, word on the street is there will be Cherry Lambic later today.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Fri May 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Ryanatjenis,

I don't know whether to think it quaint and charming that you magically seem to have appeared in this thread to enlighten us all about Jeni's Ice Cream, or perhaps, it's a bit sinister in an Echelon type of way. One might picture the CEO poised in front of a giant LCD waiting for comments about the company to pop up around the net. Perhaps you arrived from a google alert?

Anyway, your evil plan is working. Now I simply must try this ice cream that employees are so obviously passionate about.

Thanks for dropping by, and welcome to Madison.

ryanatjenis

Postby ryanatjenis » Fri May 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Pogoagogo wrote:Ryanatjenis,

I don't know whether to think it quaint and charming that you magically seem to have appeared in this thread to enlighten us all about Jeni's Ice Cream, or perhaps, it's a bit sinister in an Echelon type of way. One might picture the CEO poised in front of a giant LCD waiting for comments about the company to pop up around the net. Perhaps you arrived from a google alert?

Anyway, your evil plan is working. Now I simply must try this ice cream that employees are so obviously passionate about.

Thanks for dropping by, and welcome to Madison.

I run the Twitter and Facebook accounts, for fun, and because I connected with a lot folks from Madison on Twitter last summer -- including TheBookPolice -- we regularly interact and chit chat and that's where I was tipped off to Kyle's 'exhortation.'

(FWIW, I don't use Google Alerts... I use a combination of http://socialmention.com/ and http://whostalkin.com/, sometimes http://backtweets.com/ and the good old classic Twitter search.)

Again, because it's fun for me, personally, I'll carry on a conversation in the comments sections for weeks, like in this Serious Eats piece: http://bit.ly/aQNkiE

No joke, we're really excited to be in Madison -- thanks for the welcome, Pogoagogo! -- and grateful that we have so many passionate fans in the area. They're our best storytellers and we literally wouldn't be where we are today without them.

Cheers.

(P.S. More pints did indeed arrive today.)

beenie
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Fri May 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Welcome, Ryan! I wish you nothing but success here.

nichole wrote:beenie, word on the street is there will be Cherry Lambic later today.

Ooooh, thanks for the heads up! Hopefully there will be some left tomorrow (people who are lucky enough not to have to be at work until 10AM unfortunately do not get out of work until after Fromagination is closed).

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu May 13, 2010 11:52 am

I've thought about this for several days, because ice cream ranks far above whiskers on kittens for me. I am not saying I will never try it, but in general, I must decline. It feels too much like ice cream with bling. Same as with fancy jeans thread, it seems to me that something already good was taken, improved marginally, priced expensively, and sold conspicuously.

Well, you asked. But hey, that means more mail order ice cream for the rest of you.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu May 13, 2010 1:03 pm

I feel mostly the same way as acereraser, but my resolve is barely holding up against the thought of salty caramel and strawberry buttermilk.

(Similarly, my principled stand against 3D movies may buckle in December when Tron Legacy comes out.)

ryanatjenis

Postby ryanatjenis » Thu May 13, 2010 1:20 pm

acereraser wrote:I It feels too much like ice cream with bling. Same as with fancy jeans thread, it seems to me that something already good was taken, improved marginally, priced expensively, and sold conspicuously.

Hey, don't knock our marginal improvements until you try them ;-)

(pic via http://twitpic.com/1na273)

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”