What could you eat every day?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What could you eat every day?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:59 am

Broadsheet wrote:Baked salmon and steamed greens.

Close . . .

My pref: Lightly marinated salmon (a little soy sauce, some garlic and shallots, a dash or three of lemon juice w/zest, and a little bit of fresh ground ginger -- 15-20 min. is ideal) cooked on my indoor grill to perfection (nice sear, creamy in the middle), steamed asparagus, and a side of rice with turmeric and sauteed veggies (whatever I have on hand -- carrot, zucchini, onion, celery, squash, cucumber being my standbys -- and garlic, always garlic.)
This is a perfect meal.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Authentic cheesesteaks. Meaning nothing made west of Valley Forge. And that's pushing it.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:40 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Broadsheet wrote:Baked salmon and steamed greens.

Close . . .

My pref: Lightly marinated salmon (a little soy sauce, some garlic and shallots, a dash or three of lemon juice w/zest, and a little bit of fresh ground ginger -- 15-20 min. is ideal) cooked on my indoor grill to perfection (nice sear, creamy in the middle), steamed asparagus, and a side of rice with turmeric and sauteed veggies (whatever I have on hand -- carrot, zucchini, onion, celery, squash, cucumber being my standbys -- and garlic, always garlic.)
This is a perfect meal.
Oh but for a little cilantro ... !

anaranjado

Postby anaranjado » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:35 pm

Popcorn (I make the best at home in a paper lunch bag in the microwave), 2nd best is the popcorn stand downtown on the corner of MLK, Jr. Blvd.

If I didn't need to be concerned about carbs, I could eat a fresh baguette every day with butter, brie, or olive oil -- sounds like heaven!

Ha Long Bay fresh spring rolls with pork and shrimp

Lately, I have been drinking some good iced coffee everyday from Colectivo, Barriques, and EVP. Starbucks is okay, but the others are better.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:02 pm

fennel wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Lightly marinated salmon (a little soy sauce, some garlic and shallots, a dash or three of lemon juice w/zest, and a little bit of fresh ground ginger -- 15-20 min. is ideal) cooked on my indoor grill to perfection (nice sear, creamy in the middle), steamed asparagus, and a side of rice with turmeric and sauteed veggies (whatever I have on hand -- carrot, zucchini, onion, celery, squash, cucumber being my standbys -- and garlic, always garlic.)
This is a perfect meal.
Oh but for a little cilantro ... !

When you come over for dinner, feel free to bring your own. Otherwise, I'd be happy to include a little fresh parsley in the mix, as that's always welcome.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Speaking of zesty flavors, I'd add kheer to the list, since it's made with fresh lemon zest, cardamom seeds, and a number of other delightful ingredients. I use whole short-grain rice and, sometimes, maple syrup as the sweetener. Beats the pants off of anything one can find in a restaurant.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:33 pm

fennel wrote:. . . maple syrup as the sweetener.

This intrigues me.
The entire reason I started adding sauteed veggies to my rice was that nothing I was doing was adding any flavor. (And once I started doing it, I fell in love with the texture.) I use chicken stock instead of water and I tried adding all sorts of different herbs and spices during the cooking process but my rice was always still bland as hell. (I think the flavor packets that come in rice boxes are delicious but they're soooooooo salty. I use low sodium chicken stock for the same reason, which is probably why it doesn't really add much flavor.) If anyone else has good suggestions for making rice actually taste like something, I'd love to hear'em!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:02 pm

White rice really has no flavor, though it sometimes has a mild sweetness. I sometimes eat it, but I really don't think of it as food. Short-grain whole rice is my thing. The flavor is mild and vaguely nut-like and the texture resilient.

Unless you're interested in something like fried rice, just let the rice stand on it's own as a neutral pairing to other savory elements. (Stir-fry, tomato curry, etc.)

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:07 pm

fennel wrote:White rice really has no flavor, though it sometimes has a mild sweetness. I sometimes eat it, but I really don't think of it as food. Short-grain whole rice is my thing. The flavor is mild and vaguely nut-like and the texture resilient.

Unless you're interested in something like fried rice, just let the rice stand on it's own as a neutral pairing to other savory elements. (Stir-fry, tomato curry, etc.)

Kasmati Indian style Basmati rice has a nice flavor, and a nice aroma while cooking too. Woodman's and Walmart has it, and I assume many others. Not cheap, but worth the extra cost for the taste.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:05 pm

I agree with the others: buy better rice. There are rice varieties that are not only brown but red, and others that are black (those are delicious but pricey). If you buy fresh bulk rice you will also get more flavor. You can sniff and see if it has a pleasant, noticeable fragrance indicating it hasn't been sitting too long. Different varieties have different fragrances and uses, as the basmati label pictured above indicates.

Get a rice cooker if you don't already have one.

If you have any friends who are Asian and were raised in a rice culture (instead of a bread culture) ask what they recommend.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:35 pm

I've asked Japanese and Korean friends if they knew how to cook brown rice, and they had no idea. They seemed to think of it as a kind of specialty food. When I've had brown rice made in a cooker, it never seemed properly done, though it might be that it just needed another hour in the cooker. In any case, I think they're just another kitchen gadget.

2 c short-grain whole rice
3.5 c water
Bring to a very low simmer and cover tightly
**Do not take off the cover again**
Simmer 40 minutes
Move to a 250℉ oven for 20 minutes
Uncover and fluff with a large spoon.
Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.

BTW, I generally don't add seasonings of any kind. Occasionally, a little turmeric. Or if I know I'll be using it for kheer, I sometimes add the cardamom seeds ("decorticated") at the start.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:46 pm

If it wouldn't end up killing me it would be Kentucky Fried Chicken. Don't get me started on fried chicken and waffles with REAL maple syrup.
Love fridge oatmeal: my favorite breakfast is oatmeal, plain yogurt, some kind of berry, and walnuts.
Pizza, for takeout/delivery/eat-in I prefer Novanta's, Pizza Brutta, Ian's (NOT the mac n cheese), Roman Candle in Middleton. If I get lazy its frozen Newman's multi-grain. Otherwise I make my own.
Mac N Cheese made at home by me with real bechamel sauce. Sometimes with bacon.
Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Any flavor. Any time.
I could live on snacking with a tasty cracker and Wisconsin cheese. Currently havarti is my fav. And muenster, and Monterrey Jack, and Sartori Parmesan...
A BIG cup of coffee with half-n-half and keep the cup filled.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:16 pm

HotPepper wrote:Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Any flavor. Any time.
I appreciate Ben and Jerry, but their eponymous ice cream ... not so much. I do warmly acknowledge that they still sell full pints.

There's something about the guar gum or carrageenan additives that can make the texture stringy or gummy as the ice cream begins to warm.

I used to go to their shop in BTV when there was still only one. Their Mint-Chocolate-chip rocked! But it was only made once or twice a week, so you had to plan in advance to get it. Another great was Vanilla-Nutmeg.

The best flavors were usually only available hand-packed, so the staff had extraordinarily muscled wrists.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:10 pm

fennel wrote:The best flavors were usually only available hand-packed, so the staff had extraordinarily muscled wrists.

Crisp.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Just got a delivery of a pail-full of [cultivated] wild rice. I've really come to love it.

Usually, I'll try to stretch it by combining it with short-grain brown rice, but other times we'll have it straight. So damn satisfying!

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”