Isthmus preview party at Segredo: restaurant/lounge/bowling

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Isthmus preview party at Segredo: restaurant/lounge/bowling

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Isthmus is hosting a sneak preview of Segredo at 624 University Ave. on Wednesday, 1/13 from 5 - 7 pm. Tickets are required, but they're available free by signing up here:

http://isthmus.com/r/?r=50f

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Re: Isthmus preview party at Segredo: restaurant/lounge/bowling

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:01 pm

the social butterfly in me is excited about this... but the grammar aficionado wants to know: Jason, can we please start spelling it "peek"?

Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:28 pm

In

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Tickets officially going fast.

dean123

Postby dean123 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:32 am

I was at DMI's party there last week. I had high hopes for this place, but what a sh#t show!! There's no doubt it may catch on with the students, but this will not be a place for families or those with an appreciation for good food and drink. For starters, the music is awfully loud, the food was average and expensive, and the drinks were awful. Both the wait and bartending staff are extremely inexperienced. I will not go back. The whole thing was very contrived, and although the project seems well funded, the devil is in the details, and they clearly have a long way to go. It reminded me more of that place Scatz than anything else.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:00 am

Why do I have a feeling "boutique bowling" is more expensive than bowling in a full size lane?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

File under 'Duh.'

Postby Marvell » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:26 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Why do I have a feeling "boutique bowling" is more expensive than bowling in a full size lane?

Because of your firm grasp of the obvious?

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re: File under 'Duh.'

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Marvell wrote:
MadMind75 wrote:Why do I have a feeling "boutique bowling" is more expensive than bowling in a full size lane?

Because of your firm grasp of the obvious?

It's just really stupid if you think about it. You're getting less lane for more money.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: File under 'Duh.'

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:01 pm

MadMind75 wrote:It's just really stupid if you think about it. You're getting less lane for more money.

And as everyone knows, that's the universal standard for measuring bowling value: how far your ball rolls.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Isthmus preview party at Segredo: restaurant/lounge/bowl

Postby lysander » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:30 am

How's that "boutique bowling" going? What? It's a dance floor now? You don't say!

http://www.madisonatoz.com/2010/09/segredo.html

I guess they didn't do the same PR blitz they did when they opened, or before that, when they promised they wouldn't become a new iteration of the "vertical drinking space" / "drunken brawl generator" that once inhabited that location.

My balls will never be cast down a non-PBA approved lane. Where does Segredo want you to put your balls?

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:37 am

lysander wrote:How's that "boutique bowling" going? What? It's a dance floor now? You don't say!

That's discouraging. Because it sends the message that themed bars/clubs that dare to try something new and different is just something that doesn't fly in Madison.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Mon May 18, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:34 am

MadMind, I have to agree with you. A successful upscale strip club would be an improvement for that area. It would be very unlikely to cater to the college crowd, drinks would probably be priced in a manner that would discourage excessive consumption, and police calls would be fewer.

Of course, the ALRC would almost certainly oppose it, because it doesn't fit into the vision most local politicos have for Downtown.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:54 pm

lysander wrote:My balls will never be cast down a non-PBA approved lane. Where does Segredo want you to put your balls?

<pedantic> Actually, the PBA doesn't do the lane sanctioning, unless it is a pro tournament. Those in general are handled by the USBC and BPAA. </pedantic> But I share your sentiment. It's not like you can't find a normal bowling alley with expensive drinks and a light show. I suppose hipsters that want to bowl for the sake of irony will have to go to the Holler House in Milwaukee.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:28 pm

lysander wrote:MadMind, I have to agree with you.

Woo-Hoo! It's been a while! :D

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 am

As seen on Twitter (conveniently reposted by TDP) "@SegredoMadison Segredo will be doing Live Music Soon. Who would you like to see at Segredo?"

I find this potentially problematic. I'm all for live music, especially downtown, but at the same time,I don't think it's fair to other bars and venues that Segredo positioned itself as a completely different "concept" bar outside the norm (ostensibly in order to snag a coveted downtown liquor license), and now may be able to use its considerable size and deep pocketbook-- caveat: I admit that I'm not positive that there's a ton of $ behind Segredo, that's just what I've heard-- to wrest acts/attendees away from other places who present live music and rely on it for their bottom line. Do they have an experienced promoter on board?

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it seems this kind of complete change in concept should have to start over with the licensing process, allowing other bar/venue owners to voice their opinions.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”