I've heard the restaurant at Sundance is closing? WTF

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
cookingmadtown

I've heard the restaurant at Sundance is closing? WTF

Postby cookingmadtown » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Has anyone heard anything about this? The one vendor we deal with at work passed this on to us and I was quite surprised since I think they have come a long way since their opening days. And that would really suck since there is nothing like enjoying a mojito while watching a movie.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I've heard the restaurant at Sundance is closing? WTF

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:46 pm

cookingmadtown wrote:...there is nothing like enjoying a mojito while watching a movie.

... especially if it's included with the $4 entrance fee.
("Movies for the rest of us ...")

cookingmadtown

Postby cookingmadtown » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:48 pm

fennel wrote:
cookingmadtown wrote:...there is nothing like enjoying a mojito while watching a movie.

... especially if it's included with the $4 entrance fee.
("Movies for the rest of us ...")

I don't give a crap about the service fee. To not have to sit through obnoxious ads is worth the extra cash. I don't go to movies enough for that to matter enough financially to me anyway.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:49 pm

I have a close relative who works there. This is a rumor as far as closing. They are doing some revamping in the business operation and management reporting, but they are definitely not closing. From what I hear, there will be some changes for the better.

gorgonzola

Postby gorgonzola » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:12 am

Actually, I think they officially closed the restaurant at Sundance yesterday. I have friends who work(ed) there and they sent out an email to employees yesterday saying the restaurant on the 2nd floor is closing. Then a paragraph later, they say, don't tell anyone it's closing 'especially press'. It will still be available as a rental.I heard they didn't treat employees well. The food at that restaurant was never consistently decent, and the service was sometimes wobbly. It's a shame because that place is gorgeous and they did have some talented cooks in the restaurant. Seems the management/owners had trouble running it. I hope someone takes it over or they reopen it, because it has wonderful atmosphere. They said the theatre part of Sundance is going strong and of course, the cafe on the main floor is open, with the same menu as always, and all the booze is still available. Unfortunately, I've heard really negative things about the theatre management too. Hopefully they'll figure it out...because Madison needs a place like Sundance to do well.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:17 am

Although I am in that area on a regular basis, and have both dined and seen movies at Sundance, I have never managed to eat on the second floor. It has never been open when I wanted to visit.

Guess I need to be at Hilldale later at night.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:50 pm

Corporate decided to replace chefs and kitchen staff with baristas, paying them minimum wage, preparing the food behind the candy counter and lowering the overhead. Totally a bottom line decision. The menus are set and all they have to do now is follow fixed recipes with no allowance for creativity. What a shame. One time, I had one of the best French Dip sammies I ever tasted. I wonder if Redford even knew about it. I doubt it. He has bigger fish to fry like the film festival and other investments rather than fretting over this little venture in a Midwest town.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”