Carnival with Dogs!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
workboy7
Forum Addict

Re: Carnival with Dogs!

Postby workboy7 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:37 pm

If you read my post again, you might realize I too really want a new local small business to succeed. My "bitterness" ( I was using your term "bitter" there again) comes from my disappointment knowing that these folks will have a very very hard time trying to survive selling inconsistent, poorly served food. I have seen it before.....

Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Scotty » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:12 pm

We stopped and had a Chicago dog this afternoon. It was OK.

The signage is lacking.

The menu is larger than hot dogs, but that's why we went.
The bun was grilled not steamed. The relish was not neon as has been pointed out in a previous post. The peppers were...well different.
I asked up front and was assured we were getting a Vienna brand hot dog. I had cole slaw as a side and had no complaints.

They don't serve french fries!
disregard this if I missed in a previous post.

They have a breakfast style American fries. We weren't there for breakfast.

Seating outside is two picnic tables with umbrellas.
Inside is two booths.
Where will anyone sit if it survives and gets cold outside? The restroom is the size of the dining area.

Stop and try it for yourself. Put some cash on the counter followed by a review.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:15 pm

Funny, I was in there again,yesterday. My old Chicago dog was usually, everything 'cept kraut and peppers. I nearly went for a Happy Meal, when I realized I could get a good dog meal, for less and closer. I also had the dog and slaw. Yum! I hope they do change to fries, like Jimmy's Red Hots, etc. I did mention the seating, with a suggestion: In the winter yank out those two booths, and put in smaller tables, with chairs, or bar-table, so small groups can sit for a while. They said they were thinking of that. Also, I would have used a large sign with a spot light.

I've always wondered why McD's never got dogs. Plenty of dog and burger drives in Chicagoland.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:44 am

Bwis53 wrote:I've always wondered why McD's never got dogs. Plenty of dog and burger drives in Chicagoland.

I'm an old fart but my memories of the McDonalds in Saratoga Springs NY in the late sixties is that they had hot dogs. They also had roast beef sandwiches. This was, however, way before the Big Mac, QPC, and breakfast.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:50 am

McDonald's menus vary by region as well as through time.

Shogun Burger, anyone? I give you the Amazing weird McDonald's Menu items from around the world:

http://trifter.com/practical-travel/bud ... the-world/

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:55 am

christopher_robin wrote:McDonald's menus vary by region as well as through time.

'Tis true. I was at a Mickey Dees in Puerto Rico circa 1970 and they served fried chicken (real chicken, not pressed patties).

Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby Ashley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:40 pm

BTW, it's "Carnival's", not "Carnival" although I think it should be Carnival too. I didn't have any food, but the "cyclone", their version of the DQ blizzard is good. I'm sure lots of people will be disappointed when they walk in and realize that they only have soft serve, though.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Well, this little place is still kicking. Had lunch there for the last two days. Chicago dog, and chili cheese dog. (yeah, I know, healthy as can be, right?) They now have the neon relish, and the dog was as good as whatever else is available in Madison. I'd say it's even better than that Papa Cornholio's place off of Stoughton Road.

It is what it is. The food was exactly as I expected it; good enough. I had no illusion that it'd be locally grown/raised, etc. The people who own it are friendly, and I love that this little place is on the south side. In fact, it's perfect for that area of Park St. I'll certainly add it to my regular lunch rotation of Cargo, Taqueria Guadalajara and Taj.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 pm

workboy7 wrote:I pray it doesn't suck, or blow. I'll try it today, but my experience has been most dog places in Madison have sucked or in some cases, blown.

You never specified which problem they had.

babelfish

Postby babelfish » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm kicking up some dirt on all the chicago dog threads, and I'm wondering if this place is still around? If so, is it any good?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:41 pm

You could check the Eats list, or their website, or Facebook, or just drive on by and throw a few bucks at the person behind the counter to see if you get any food back.

Yes, it's still open.

workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:34 am

I'll talk hot dogs all day. In my opinion Carnival does not serve noteworthy food. I have found, in my four visits over the last 2ish years, that Carnival is run by well meaning folks who fail at the most important aspect of food service..... consistency.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Carnival's: still there. Chicago dog: real nice. Cheese curds: dusted with celery salt--a good accident, or the BEST accident? Don't tell my doctor but I had a small s'mores sunday, too: mighty fine. All that for less than $10, with a smile and the precise feel of Bay or Point Beach's concession stands? I'll take it.

kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:13 am

I have to agree that I'm a little sick of Madison businesses starting up with poor signage and no advertising. The "if we unlock the doors, they will come" mentality is getting old.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”