American Tuna?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
bikinchef

American Tuna?

Postby bikinchef » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:34 am

There was a post last week about tuna. There was a mention about "American Tuna" and it's whereabouts around town.

I know that Crema Cafe over on Monona Dr. Is using it for a special right now and the chef mentioned that it is going on the menu at some point.
I have tried this product and it rocks! It's simply it pole-caught tuna, in a can with it's own oils. Look at "chicken of the sea" sometime, it is full of a bunch other crap?

http://www.americantuna.com
http://www.goodcrema.com

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Re: American Tuna?

Postby juanton » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Whew, this thread really is about tuna.. At first glance, I thought maybe MadMind had started another thread about his dating woes.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm

The other tuna topic was on Ventresca tuna (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45919&p=575526), and it was early May. Time flies when you're talkin' tuna, though.

Good to know it's getting some pub' around town.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:58 pm

American tuna: $4.99 a 6 oz. can. Just sayin'.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:05 am

Violet_Skye wrote:American tuna: $4.99 a 6 oz. can. Just sayin'.

Slate wrote:A new study warns that overfishing has shrunk marlin, swordfish, and tuna populations by 90 percent since 1950. Given the crisis, why does a can of tuna still cost under a buck?

Because the species that end up in your tuna casserole aren't the ones being severely depleted.

As visitors to Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market can attest, a choice southern bluefin can fetch upward of $40,000—a price that makes it an uneconomical choice for, say, Starkist's Chunk Light tuna. That's why big-time canners instead prefer smaller, less flavorful species. Albacore, the so-called chicken of the sea, is what you'll get if the tin says "white meat."

A recent study by the WorldFish Center estimated that, in a worst-case scenario, prices for tilapia, carp, and other low-grade fish could jump by 70 percent, in real terms, by 2020. On the canned front, albacore, skipjack, and yellowfin stocks are generally considered "fully exploited," meaning that a marked increase in annual catches could, eventually, put an end to your supermarket's two-for-a-dollar deals.

Just sayin'.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:50 am

Just sayin' that if if I'm going to pay that much for tuna, it will not be for canned, I'll go for the fresh steaks. Good link.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:52 am

Tuna melt with sustainable tuna and local cheese and tomato. Tastes good, feels good.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:14 am

juanton wrote:Whew, this thread really is about tuna.. At first glance, I thought maybe MadMind had started another thread about his dating woes.

I thought it was going to be about Bill Parcells.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:08 pm

If you're looking for other "sustainable" fish, check out http://www.kona-blue.com/

I can't vouch for it personally, but have been wanting to try it for some time.

Overfishing is big problem that's going to get worse before it gets better. Good for you for seeking out responsible alternatives.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Costco's "Kirkland" brand canned tuna is the absolute best.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”