Brat Fest

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Brat Fest

Postby Shipley » Fri May 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Haven't decided if I'm going tomorrow or sunday, but I'm going.

WHo's been? How many did you eat? Last count I saw on the Bratfest twitter says 36,414...

http://twitter.com/BratFest

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brat Fest

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 22, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm playing tonight and will get my brat on as well. Possibly again before its over. There are a lot of bratfest haters on this board. I expect they will come in and talk about fat guys from rural areas and the parking mess (which doesn't exist) and how much better it was when it was at Hilldale (which it wasn't ).

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Went first thing, to avoid crowds. Weather turned perfect. Loud music was already playing at 10:00 A.M. I was pleased not to have to purchase tickets for brats. Bought two and found a shady spot to enjoy them at. Seriously considered a third, but decided that's just too naughty for me. Worked them off, walking and gardening.

It seemed like many people just enjoyed this simple (cheap) kick-off to Summer. People from the neighborhood just strolled on over. I sat there, counting my blessings.

Oh, yeah, that's right: This is for charity!

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri May 22, 2009 6:28 pm

well I'm a fat guy who is going to belly up for it, last year I ate 5 before I left and took home enough to eat the next day.

Total Sausage Fest.

dawnbug

Postby dawnbug » Fri May 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Nom nom nom. WPR was talking about brats this morning-- the different varieties, the preparation methods and the origin of the word (fried sausage is the translation!). It got me in the mood for some brats-- looking forward to eating, hmm... maybe 2. For charity.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 22, 2009 7:40 pm

2 in my car as part of a totally ridiculous and almost not worth it Take Your Brat to Work endeavor. I don't like any of my coworkers enough to bring them brats; I just wanted to have brats in the morning.

I'll be back.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 22, 2009 8:18 pm

I got a free coupon for a brat. It was on one of those sticky labels attached to last Sunday's W.S.J. Ms Vilas and I (weather dependent) plan to bike over to Willow Island and cash in our freebie. Hope this Sunday's paper has the sticker too. Otherwise, Ms Vilas' veggie brat is on me.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat May 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Between me and my fiance, we added 8 to the Brat ticker today.

Delicious as always, and amazingly good weather to be outside, good music too.

Handy Smurf
Forum Addict

Postby Handy Smurf » Sun May 24, 2009 4:13 pm

My wife, three daughters, daughter's b-friend & wheelchair bound mother in law went yesterday and ate about 20. Pretty crowded, but that's to be expected. I don't see any cause to complain about parking, but if I go again this weekend, it'll be by bike.

NOW my Bratfest beef, which may put me in a minority of one. Not being a fan of super loud rock & country music, I find it really difficult to relax and enjoy brats & conversation. I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, but how about ONE stage, so there could be a space on the grounds that's at least relatively quiet?

Now go ahead and let me know what a stick in the mud I am :lol:

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun May 24, 2009 4:37 pm

You might be a literal stick in the mud. What was the deal with the soaked sod between rock wall and main stage? Talk about a booby trap.

Put three to bed today. That makes my personal total five consumed brats over two days. Not a sprint by any stretch, but I can't go nuts this year.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sun May 24, 2009 5:12 pm

the last update says they need about 42,000 more to beat the record.

I'll consider stopping by for lunch tomorrow to help tip the scales, both literally and figuratively.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

broke the record about an hour ago, still over an hour to go, the final count will likely tip past 200,000

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Yay! I'm glad I patriotically ate two more this morning. Arriving early, when it was not crowded, made it much more enjoyable for me.

LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Mon May 25, 2009 10:41 pm

208,752 appears to be the final tally per - http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/452440

Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby Bellwether » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:28 pm

Handy Smurf wrote:NOW my Bratfest beef, which may put me in a minority of one. Not being a fan of super loud rock & country music, I find it really difficult to relax and enjoy brats & conversation. I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, but how about ONE stage, so there could be a space on the grounds that's at least relatively quiet?

You're not alone. My SO and I avoid Bratfest because it's loud. My SO is a musician, used to do the '80s rock thing and is no stranger to LOUD -- but there's a time and place, and there should *always* be a place where it's quieter.

I'll build on your beef: People with babies in car seats in the back seat of the car, pumping out the tunes through just their back speakers, couple of subs in the rear deck, not realizing just how LOUD that is for the kidlet back there. Hullo? Why is Suzie deaf at age 3?

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”