Restaurant Magnus changing menu to 'New Scandinavian'

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
suburban-moron

Restaurant Magnus changing menu to 'New Scandinavian'

Postby suburban-moron » Mon May 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Someone PLEASE tell me this is a leftover April Fool hoax...

http://www.isthmus.com/isthmus/article. ... icle=25793

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Restaurant Magnus changing menu to 'New Scandinavian'

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 04, 2009 3:24 pm

I follow TDPF and the Onion on Twitter. When I first saw the Magnus line I thought it was from the Onion.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon May 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Coincidentally, Visions Nightclub is changing its entertainment focus to 'Nude Scandinavian.'

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Now that's got legs.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon May 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Me and my GF go here relatively often for drinks and tapas. We are both somewhat scared of this isthmus article and hope it is not so. Their Chimichurri and the xinxim are too good to give up...

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 04, 2009 4:26 pm

Nope, it's true. Have you gone to the website to see the menu sneak-peek? Looks good to me. It's a ballsy move, but I don't begrudge them, what with Cabana/Samba, Inka Heritage, and now Cafe Montmartre. South American's too cool for school right now. I dig Prentice Berge's ambition and his confidence in his new head chef.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 04, 2009 4:29 pm

I only ate there once. But I really enjoyed the chimichurri and the Latin-tinged entrees we tried. Was thinking of returning the last week of May when my parents are in town. Will the new menu have kicked in by then?

OK, I just read it again, and the chimichurri is staying (no oysters though--bummer), and the sea scallops and crispy pork belly sounds amazing. They really need a re-design on their website...

The Scandinavian dishes they described sounded great, but I prefer South American/tapas cuisine, so I too was surprised by the move.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon May 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Ah, good. I can probably get over the xinxim - assuming they are still keeping their best-in-town Batida to "smooth" things over.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:40 am

Anyone else tried it? We went a few weeks ago and got a few things. The menu looks great, and not just because of the cool font they use. The things we got were very tasty. I'm looking forward to returning. So far I may actually like it more, despite how much I miss xinxim.

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 am

Well, aside from the Berges' own strong Norwegian roots, the new chef isn't actually new; he's been there for at least 7 years in one role or another. My brother was in the MATC culinary program with him back in the day and says he's really talented, and it's always good to see some homegrown talent move up the ranks.

I don't go there very often, but I think I'll give it a couple more months and see how things shake out. And I agree that the South American market was getting crowded -- though that's not a terrible thing :)

So here's a "wait and see" from this cautious Swede :P

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:04 pm

We went about three weeks ago as well, and the dishes we had gave me the strangest sense/taste/smell of grandma's house at Christmas (I'm Norwegian) mixed with something from Harvest or Sa Bai Thong. It was the most unique combination. If you ever watch The Scandinavian Chef on PBS, you'll have a sense of this new Scandinavian cooking style. I loved it, actually.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:11 pm

I had the twin wild game burgers from the bar menu on Saturday. Fantastic, but certainly not "lite" fare.

palindrome

A dissenting view...

Postby palindrome » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:07 pm

My husband and I went this weekend. We arrived with open minds, hopeful that the new formula would work. The menu did look appealing.

The wine arrived. Very tasty. Seated in the front section, we were happy that, minus the bullfighting posters and a few other details, the familiar, cozy atmosphere remained intact. Grade at this phase: A

The appetizers arrived: 1) Smoked salmon and bacon crepes and 2) Gravlax and ahi poke. #1 was okay...it had some flavor. #2 felt like $13 wasted. Grade at this phase: B-

The entrée arrived: Buffalo sirloin, which we'd decided to share. Bland. Disappointing. Could have done much better cooking at home. Grade at this phase: C-

We both could have eaten more, but decided not to order dessert...didn't want to part with any more money here. Grade at this phase: D

Now we are bracing for the possible failure of what was once a favorite, and long for the old menu (especially the beautiful tapas and the desserts).

Duncan Hines

Postby Duncan Hines » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:32 am

Scandinavian food is so HOT - that's why there are soooo many Scandinavian restaurants in NYC, L.A. ... oh, wait a minute, there aren't any. Hum? I wonder why. Anyway we have a lot of them in Wisconsin because of the large Scandinavian population. Wait a minute. That's not true either. I guess the Berges know something that everyone else don't.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Duncan Hines wrote:I guess the Berges know something that everyone else don't.

Yup. They know what they want to do with their restaurant. Hot or not, it's clearly a smarter choice than your grammar.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”