espresso royale at cafe zoma?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
bikinchef

espresso royale at cafe zoma?

Postby bikinchef » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:39 pm

I am surprised nobody has inquired about this yet?

Are they going to make it a Royale? It looks like they are hiring on craigslist. April 1st is supposed to be the open date. You know Royale is a Mich. company, they serve no-foam lattes, they dont really do any good food, I just dont get it. I dont know if Ann had a hand in it, but she use Colorado coffee, so why would she think it was important to use locally roasted coffee. Unless they do something unique, it could fan again.
What happened to the Berges?, I dont like Barriques, but they are local.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: espresso royale at cafe zoma?

Postby fennel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Last edited by fennel on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:04 pm

bikinchef wrote:... they serve no-foam lattes, they dont really do any good food, I just dont get it.
So you're saying they're just like local cafes, then? (Who also serve pastries worthy of a 1960's era East European Automat ... who also think the crema of an espresso comes from a pressurized can ... ) In those terms, I don't think local cafes bother to offer anything beyond what's minimally expected. (Why can't they offer a remotely palatable croissant or scone? Is that unpatriotic, or what?)

But yes, using locally roasted coffee is a good thing, provided it's good.

madjunkie

Postby madjunkie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:07 am

Espresso Royale has been in madison for decades. Sure they are based in Michigan but the cafes here are run by Madison folks FOR Madison folks. They have 2 coffee houses on state street that are as uniquely different from one another as the other fewer than 20 cafes in the company are. It seems silly to automatically plan on a mediocre revival of a neighborhood institution. Anyone willing to purchase a coffee house that has been closed for months due to financial hardship is taking a number of risks, but thank goodness SOMEONE bought it and is going to MAINTAIN the space as a coffee house.

word on the street is Espresso Royale will be maintaining the name Cafe Zoma and developing a hybrid menu keeping the best of the 'former' cafe zoma food & drinks and bringing some of the popular Espresso Royale drinks to the 'new' Cafe Zoma. (including homemade Chai!) ALSO they are planning to have consistent evening hours! i give espresso royale props for stepping up to the challenge!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:06 am

madjunkie wrote:ALSO they are planning to have consistent evening hours! i give espresso royale props for stepping up to the challenge!
I have to say Zoma is the first cafe I've ever encountered that was closed in the evening?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:19 am

madjunkie wrote:i give espresso royale props for stepping up to the challenge!

As a purely disinterested outsider, right?

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:32 pm

ER is my fave coffee shop in Madison.
Has been since '93.
Best medium skim, easy whip mocha in town.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:31 am

fennel wrote:
madjunkie wrote:ALSO they are planning to have consistent evening hours! i give espresso royale props for stepping up to the challenge!
I have to say Zoma is the first cafe I've ever encountered that was closed in the evening?

If I'm correct, both Mermaid Cafe and Cafe Soleil close aren't even open in mid-afternoon.

Not the best way to get your rent money's worth, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:14 pm

Ancora on King closes at 5:00 or 5:30. With the number of people downtown, including a healthy happy hour and dinner crowd, I've always been puzzled by that. I've been kicked out on closing dozens of times.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”