Madison Restaurants that Serve Wild Salmon?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
realgal

Madison Restaurants that Serve Wild Salmon?

Postby realgal » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Does anyone know of restaurants in the Madison area that serve wild Alaskan salmon? I was surprised to learn that Bluphies doesn't serve it and wondered if there are places that do. Suggestions for chains or locally owned restaurants are appreciated.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison Restaurants that Serve Wild Salmon?

Postby TAsunder » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:54 pm

I don't know of a place serving Alaskan offhand. I know that L'Etoile sometimes serves some sustainable salmon, but it's not on the menu at the moment. Magnus has Atlantic Salmon, though. Not quite the same...

titus

Postby titus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:58 pm

Weary Traveler has wild Alaskan salmon and it's very reasonably priced. I think around $11.

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:16 pm

We serve wild caught salmon at the Brass Ring on two of our entrees, the Bourbon Street Salmon Salad and Salmon Sandwich. Both are reasonably priced at under $10 and are highly commended by patrons (I don't eat salmon).

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:56 pm

Keep in mind that "wild salmon" is often farm-raised salmon. Salmon can be tested (for it's source of pigment – natural or added), but it rarely is. Unless you're dealing with a reputable distributor who bends over backward to document the source of it's salmon, you can well assume it is not wild.

Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Renee Gabel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:13 am

Wild salmon is seasonal and I'd be really leary of any restaurant that has it on it's regular menu. The last few salmon seasons have been dismal and this year doesn't look much better.

Salmon rund begin around this time of year so if you are going to find any at all, it will be in a month or so.

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:30 am

This thread brings a question to mind I'm hoping someone more fish-savvy can answer for me. I thought that wild salmon were caught during that one time of year when they spawn and return to the fresh waters where they were born. If I'm correct (and by no means am I sure about this) isn't eating wild salmon interrupting the breeding cycle and won't it end up decreasing the population? On the other hand, I've read that farmed fish are loaded up with antibiotics. Finally, a source I know and trust (my mom) has mentioned about all the tumors that are being cut out of fish caught through traditional means by nets.

Which is why I stay away from fish... except for the Old Fashioned lake perch on Fridays.

chleppr

Postby chleppr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 pm

In my own personal opinion...the reason for not eating farm raised is that farm raised fish are fed grains. Therefore...their meat is full of "unhealthy" fatty acids. When you eat wild...the fatty acids are "green fed" and healthy. Hence...eating farm raised fish is equivalent to eating a greasy hamburger.

Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:14 am

lolagirl wrote:This thread brings a question to mind I'm hoping someone more fish-savvy can answer for me. I thought that wild salmon were caught during that one time of year when they spawn and return to the fresh waters where they were born. If I'm correct (and by no means am I sure about this) isn't eating wild salmon interrupting the breeding cycle and won't it end up decreasing the population? On the other hand, I've read that farmed fish are loaded up with antibiotics. Finally, a source I know and trust (my mom) has mentioned about all the tumors that are being cut out of fish caught through traditional means by nets.

Which is why I stay away from fish... except for the Old Fashioned lake perch on Fridays.

Most Salmon die after spawning. There is no interuption in the breeding cycle.

Hatcheries have been a part of Salmon harvesting for decades. Basically, salmon are hatched upstream and released into the wild. When they are ready to spawn, they return and we eat them.

My absolute favorite Salmon is Copper RIver.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:34 am

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11999769
Mmmmm.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Toxic/f ... salmon.cfm
Why is the farm-raised salmon pink?
"canthaxanthin manufactured by Hoffman-La Roche."

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”