New York style pizza (crust)

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New York style pizza (crust)

Postby wallrock » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:35 pm

Ian's for sure! I used to love the old Casa Bianca on Bassett. I was intrigued when I saw the storefront out on Junction Road but never tried it, and from what I've heard it wasn't nearly the same. I like Pizza di Roma and I've stopped by a few times over the last few years after the bars, but I don't think I've ever had a slice not somewhat under the influence. By no means would I consider myself an expert on the style having never actually been to NY but I've always appreciated getting a quick and fast slice like at Bacci's in Wrigleyville. These never taste the same when sober though, but that can apply to many things.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:50 pm

I tried Ian's the other day for the first time (was sober) and enjoyed the mac n' cheese topping, but wasn't blown away by the pizza. I'll have to try other types there. It seemed less of a thin crust style than what the OP is probably looking for. I am no NY thin crust expert, but the ones I've had growing up in CT and visiting NYC many times over the years were larger diameter and thinner crust (sometimes only 6 slices per pie).

Admittedly, when I have enjoyed NY style pizza in NY, it was typically late night and I was usually at least semi-donged, eating on a sidewalk.

mock_talks

Postby mock_talks » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm in a masters program with Marinela, an owner of Pizza Di Roma, located on State Street, she brought in a few 'za's for the class a few weeks ago and I thought it was very good. The crust is foldable. The sauce is good and if you like cheese, they definitely don't skimp on it! If you are in the downtown area sounds like they are a hot spot late at night and they deliver.

Another one of my favorites is Picasso's. You can find them on Williamsburg Way on the way to Verona or in McFarland. I think they have great crust and an awesome assortment of toppings and inventive flavor combinations. Owner Chad and wife Sarah are often working at the place on Williamsburg...very nice, hard working people. They have created a good all around menu if you have people in your group interested in something other than 'za.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:17 am

mock_talks wrote:Another one of my favorites is Picasso's. You can find them on Williamsburg Way on the way to Verona or in McFarland. I think they have great crust and an awesome assortment of toppings and inventive flavor combinations. Owner Chad and wife Sarah are often working at the place on Williamsburg...very nice, hard working people. They have created a good all around menu if you have people in your group interested in something other than 'za.

Damn straight on Picasso's, but I guess I never really considered them NY-style. The crust is thin and crispy and good, but Cajun Comfort, Venetian, Feta Increda & Gorgonzola Rib-eye... When I think of NY-style it's either plain cheese or pepperoni in big slices. Actually Picasso's might do something like this but I've never actually gone off the specialties list for thin crust.

You're definitely right about the owners. They and the staff are about as nice of people as you're going to find. Chad has put together an excellent beer selection and likes to talk about it if you get him going. And you can still get a Chicago dog there, for those that remember the old Presto's.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:21 pm

I'll never understand those who consistently choose Ian's over Pizza Di Roma. F@$k that trendy Ian's bullsh*t!

snarkmonster

Postby snarkmonster » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:37 pm

La Rocca's on Willy Street is the closest I can find to NYC style pizza (and I've looked long and hard). Their crust has the right taste and thinness, and the sauce is great!

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:56 pm

They are good (La Bellitalia is better IMO), but not really NY style. I'll have to try Di Roma.

mock_talks

Postby mock_talks » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:08 am

How could I have forgotten to mention La Rocca. I LOVE their pizza...I haven't been there for over a month, I kind of miss it. The last time I had one with the alfredo sauce, fresh basil, chicken, artichokes, and tomatoes...it was soooooooooo good.

I'm going to check out Cafe La Bellitalia this weekend...I'm torn as to whether I should get pizza or a pasta dish. After reading reviews, I am actually considering getting both and just bringing the pizza home for a late night snack/breakfast!

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:35 am

My only visit there was for the full Italian meal with wine, appetizers, and pasta dishes. Not as fancy as Papavero or Lombardino's (my two Madison faves at that point) with more of an emphasis on pizza and pasta with red sauce, but every bit as good. Have had delivery pizza from there about 5 times since, and I think its the best I've had here. The thin, pan and stuffed pizzas are all good, and are hot and fresh every time (the stuffed and pan will fill you up). Great sauce, plenty of cheese, fresh toppings and the dough is very fresh (probably handmixed and not frozen). You can taste the difference for sure. Great coupons for pizza as well, much cheaper than La Rocca, Nickel and Roman Candle. I still enjoy the three aforementioned local joints, but La Bell is the shit.

I'm doing Cafe Porta Alba for the first time tonight, so we'll see if my rankings will change!

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:16 pm

MadMind wrote:I'll never understand those who consistently choose Ian's over Pizza Di Roma. F@$k that trendy Ian's bullsh*t!

Because Ian's also sells non-trendy pizzas on the cheap (e.g. $12 for a 20" pepperoni), and they taste a million times better than the garbage at Pizza Di Roma.

RastassJr

Postby RastassJr » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:51 pm

Get the 16" at Maria's Pizza in Oregon, you can get them to cut in large slices even and fold until your hearts content.

Marias is the best Italian Pizza for the price if you dont mind a trip to Oregon, or Cross Plains.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:32 pm

RastassJr wrote:Get the 16" at Maria's Pizza in Oregon, you can get them to cut in large slices even and fold until your hearts content.

Marias is the best Italian Pizza for the price if you dont mind a trip to Oregon, or Cross Plains.

I will always have a spot in my heart for Maria's in Oregon but I wouldn't quite say it's the best out there. Don't get me wrong, I love the place - it was where my parents would take my sister and I when we were kids. And I still go there because it's good and friendly and decently-priced, but the topping ingredients aren't always the best quality. Also, I'd say the crust is more of the medium thickness variety, not trad NY thin crust.

john-laws

Postby john-laws » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:37 am

Well said thats indeed very true

barreg

Postby barreg » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:04 pm

RastassJr wrote:Get the 16" at Maria's Pizza in Oregon, you can get them to cut in large slices even and fold until your hearts content.

How does a trip to Cross Plains get you to Oregon?

holyghost

Postby holyghost » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Try Pizza Di Roma

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”