Cleveland's becoming a Greek Restaraunt?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Henry Chinaski

Cleveland's becoming a Greek Restaraunt?

Postby Henry Chinaski » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:05 am

I was walking past Cleveland's this morning on the way to work and noticed that it was closed for remodeling.

There was an ominous note on the door stating that they would be closed until May and reopen under some new totity name that would serve "the Cleveland breakfast" in the morning and Greek Cuisine the rest of the day.

Are there any authentic Diners in Madison anymore ?

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cleveland's becoming a Greek Restaraunt?

Postby nevermore » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:59 am

Henry Chinaski wrote:There was an ominous note on the door stating that they would be closed until May and reopen under some new totity name that would serve "the Cleveland breakfast" in the morning and Greek Cuisine the rest of the day.

I don't know what "totity" means, but ominous? Ominous? To me, an ominous note would be one that says "You die soon!", not "We'll be serving Greek food soon!" But hey, maybe you wig out over stuff more easily than I do.
Are there any authentic Diners in Madison anymore?

You might not like it, but nowadays a diner ain't authentic unless the owner/operator hails from, or has family that hails from, a nation in close proximity to the Adriatic Sea. It's just how we roll here in America.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Well, plus Telly and Nick are wicked fucking Greek.

So - it was already a Greek restaurant, whether you knew it or not.

There are things worth getting worked up over. This is not one of them.

Henry Chinaski

Postby Henry Chinaski » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Maybe the tone came out wrong.It was before my required 68 oz of coffee. I guess I was just sad to see an institution undergo change. (Even though it has before).

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Henry Chinaski wrote:I guess I was just sad to see an institution undergo change. (Even though it has before).

Yes it has. I stubbed out many a cigarrette in leftover egg yoke in the side room at Cleveland's.

I never really got over the change to the current version, but I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Rozydog

Postby Rozydog » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:07 pm

I believe the owners of Clevelands also own the Atlantis Taverna in Sun Prairie, so it would make sense that they would offer the same menu @ the Madison location.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:29 pm

Ducatista wrote:I stubbed out many a cigarrette in leftover egg yoke in the side room at Cleveland's.

Heh. Me, too. It surprised me how irritated the smoker would get, sometimes.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cleveland's becoming a Greek Restaraunt?

Postby blunt » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Henry Chinaski wrote:There was an ominous note on the door stating that they would be closed until May and reopen under some new totity name that would serve "the Cleveland breakfast" in the morning and Greek Cuisine the rest of the day.

Are there any authentic Diners in Madison anymore ?

Cleveland's served breakfast in the morning and was closed at night.
Now they are going to service breakfast and be open serving Greek food at night.
I'm feeling ecstasy, not consternation.
I think that quantum remake answers the questions:

Authentic?
Diner?
Madison?

With a transcendently inclusive YES.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:55 pm

I'll join the chorus of people singing ALLELUIA that they will continue to serve breakfast. When I talked to Nick after the change was announced in December he wasn't sure if they were going to continue to serve breakfast in the new incarnation. They have the best breakfast taters in town. I had to stay away for a while because of my cholesterol, but now that my doctor has put me on Lipitor, I say "bring it on!"

And as an added plus, from what I understand, they obtained or will be getting a beer/wine license so maybe now, after they re-open, I'll be able to have a beer with my greek omlette and breakfast taters.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 pm

fennel wrote:It surprised me how irritated the smoker would get, sometimes.

I always thought it was nice that you used your own egg.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:And as an added plus, from what I understand, they obtained or will be getting a beer/wine license so maybe now, after they re-open, I'll be able to have a beer with my greek omlette and breakfast taters.

You haven't lived until you've had the ouzo omelet.

They're what made Jimmy Greek.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:38 pm

Marvell wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:And as an added plus, from what I understand, they obtained or will be getting a beer/wine license so maybe now, after they re-open, I'll be able to have a beer with my greek omlette and breakfast taters.

You haven't lived until you've had the ouzo omelet.

They're what made Jimmy Greek.

Are they getting a full liquour license? I was under the impression it was just beer/wine.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”