Milwaukee on a Sunday

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Kovalic

Milwaukee on a Sunday

Postby Kovalic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Pardon me for going all Chowhound on folks here, but...

We've got to be in Milwaukee on a Sunday night, next month.

Coquette Cafe is closed Sundays. Does anybody have any recommendations for places that might be open?

I'm not that plugged into the Milwaukee restaurant scene.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:46 pm

If you like Japanese, you could consider Nanakusa or Ichiban.

I've heard good things about the Bartolotta restaurants (Lake Park Bistro, Bacchus, Ristorante Bartolotta) and the Pasta Tree.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:53 pm

That's Amore on Hwy 100 in Hales Corners.

hecky
Forum Addict

Postby hecky » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Well, I would not recommend That's Amore, especially if you are longing for something like Coquette. It's heavy Italian food.

hedgie

Postby hedgie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:28 pm

Casablanca is very good. We ate there out of desperation one afternoon (running out of time and had no clue where to go...and this place looked a little sketchy to us) but we were happy to find that they had fantastic food.
It looks like they're open until 9 on Sundays.
http://www.casablancaonbrady.com/

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:46 am

I highly recommend Riviera Maya. The have 6 different mole sauces. I really liked the almond mole and the peanut mole. Neither of them are the kind with chocolate. They also have tasty drinks. There's nothing like it in Madison.

Riviera Maya
2258 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
Bay View,WI 53207
(414) 294-4848

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:31 am

Alright Muchachos, I've sobered up a enough to respond to this post in half-way coherent manner.

Good suggestions overall thus far, although I don't know about That's Amore.

Riviera Maya is an excellent suggestion. Some other very excellent Mexican places include Taqueria Azteca and Las Botanas. There are a lot of great Latin places in Brew City that are definately not Pedro's Mexican Restaurante. Quimera is a new Puerto Rican place I've heard good things about, though I've not been there myself.

Roots is a very good mid-upscale place on the same $$$ level as Coquette.

Lake Park Bistro is one of my favorite places.

If you're looking for Asian, my favorite Thai joints woulld be King & I, Singha Thai and EE Sane. Fortune on Highway 100 is reputed to be the best Asian place in the metro area.

There's a very excellent Chinese place in the Third Ward that goes lightyears beyond General Tso. It's called Jing's.

A Turkish place called Tulip. Good place.

Water Buffalo. Very good contemporary/American.

A Caribbean place called The Good Life. Awesome Mahi Mahi.

Something a little more casual? The Milwaukee Ale House has good brewpub grub.

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:05 pm

Skip dinner and save your $$ and calories for your return to Madison.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:57 pm

Sheppy wrote:Lake Park Bistro
EE Sane

Two of my favorites. Careful, EE Sane's heat scale seems to run little hotter than at your average Madison Thai place.

I really like the Social on S. 1st St.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:00 pm

I can't get enough of Conejitos on Virginia. The paper plates that the food comes on is a really nice touch.

hecky
Forum Addict

Postby hecky » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Conejitos is a trip, and I love it, but again it's a far different restaurant than Coquette. Milwaukee Magazine's "best new restaurants" issue hit the stands yesterday, maybe take a look in it.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Doesn't Brett Farve own a steak house in Milwaukee? Now that he's out of a job, maybe he'd be hanging out at the bar.

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:56 am

Sideshow Bob wrote:Doesn't Brett Farve own a steak house in Milwaukee? Now that he's out of a job, maybe he'd be hanging out at the bar.

Brett Favre used to own a steakhouse in Milwaukee. It closed about 6 years ago and was replaced with a Pizza/Italian place named Joey Buona's. I have never been there nor do I know anyone who has.

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:04 pm

juanton wrote:I can't get enough of Conejitos on Virginia. The paper plates that the food comes on is a really nice touch.

Are you freakin' kidding me? Conejito's?! Am I reading this right? You like Conejito's. Are you freakin' insane?

Look, dude, I don't want to rain on your little parade over here man, but if you "can't get enough" of Conejito's then you need to seriously evaluate e a few core questions life, such as who you are, where you are going and what you're doing being a member of this society. Conejito's a plain-jane, little hole in the wall dive Mexican cantina. That's it. You "can't get enough" of mediocre Mexican food presented on paper plates? I mean mere blocks from from Conejito's are options that are far better than this dive. Las Botanas. Cielito Lindo. Shit, even La Fuentes and La Perla are better than Conejito's. And that's sayin' somethin', pancho.

I would advise you to tread, very, very carefully here, Jaunton. Because you're entering the realm of the absurd. And trust me, plenty of folk on this board have gone that route with ol' Shep and the've got stories to tell about it. Beef? You betcha. And once you've entered the Realm of the Shep you've stepped in it, bub. You've stepped one foot firmly implanted in quicksand. You DO NOT praise Conejito's like that and get away with it. Not with Shep in the house. Sheppy OUT.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:58 pm

I fucking love Conejitos. Muy bueno y el cheap gas-o.

I just had to offer up the other end of the spectrum from Briquette Cafe.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”