Ceviche preferences...

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
hecky
Forum Addict

Ceviche preferences...

Postby hecky » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:53 pm

I know that ceviche is served at various places around town...which do people like the most? Or should I say, which do forons like the most?

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Which do you like? What places do it best? How is it done elsewhere?

I've never actually ordered the stuff, so clue me in.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:00 pm

I suggest you make it at home; you'll be much happier with the results.

Use very fresh ingredients (though frozen seafood is often a good option in these parts), fresh lime, fresh garlic, fresh onions/scallions, and so on. I sometimes add fresh ginger as a non-traditional option. Fresh cilantro is critical, and locally-produced cilantro will make a big difference when properly grown.

Avoid Escolar ("White Tuna") which leads to ... Anal leakage.

Ceviche is my favorite preparation for squid, but scallops are a close second — when very fresh and unadulterated. Other nice fishies are Mahi-Mahi and Bluefish but, again, freshness is critical. I've never made it with mackerel, but it's one of my favorite fishes.

I suggest really nice, locally grown, thin-skinned Wisconsin-grown ripe red peppers — and locally grown, generally.

Serve with cold, short-grain whole rice, chilled.

kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:24 am

Cabana Room - like everything else here, beautifully seasoned, high quality, and you'll daydream about it later.

hecky
Forum Addict

Postby hecky » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:07 pm

Lysander -- I've never eaten a lot of it, so I don't have any particular preferences.

RabidLocavore

Hands down the best Ceviche

Postby RabidLocavore » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Hands down the best Ceviche in town is at Sushi Muramoto at the Hilldale Mall

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hands down the best Ceviche

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:53 pm

RabidLocavore wrote:Hands down the best Ceviche in town

Now, that's an interesting image!

Villanelle

Postby Villanelle » Wed May 07, 2008 1:13 am

I've eaten a lot of ceviche in the rio grande valley, which is about 30 min from the Mexican border. I can say that the traditional Mexican preparation uses mainly fish or shrimp. Traditionally a a white-fleshed ocean fish is used (cod;snapper). I highly recommend fresh fish for this dish. Since the fish is gently cooked by the lime juice, the quality and freshness of the fish make a big difference. From my experience Sentry has a nice seafood selection. Although the prices are on the high end, you don't need a lot of fish for ceviche.

Regardless of the seafood you are using, you should chop the fish into bite-size peices and soak them in lime juice (in a refridgerator) for about 6 hours in order for the acid in the juice to cook the fish.

As for ingredients, I think cilantro is great, but not entirely necessary. I know a lot of people find the taste peculiar. I like to add some freshly chopped and seasoned avacado to mine.

Villanelle

Postby Villanelle » Wed May 07, 2008 1:13 am

I've eaten a lot of ceviche in the rio grande valley, which is about 30 min from the Mexican border. I can say that the traditional Mexican preparation uses mainly fish or shrimp. Traditionally a a white-fleshed ocean fish is used (cod;snapper). I highly recommend fresh fish for this dish. Since the fish is gently cooked by the lime juice, the quality and freshness of the fish make a big difference. From my experience Sentry has a nice seafood selection. Although the prices are on the high end, you don't need a lot of fish for ceviche.

Regardless of the seafood you are using, you should chop the fish into bite-size peices and soak them in lime juice (in a refridgerator) for about 6 hours in order for the acid in the juice to cook the fish.

As for ingredients, I think cilantro is great, but not entirely necessary. I know a lot of people find the taste peculiar. I like to add some freshly chopped and seasoned avacado to mine.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”