The Friday night Fish Fry experience

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

The Friday night Fish Fry experience

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:32 am

This was touched on in another thread, but has anyone else become totally beleaguered by this in the last few years? My take is that, particularly during Lent, you get huge waits in places that are almost antagonistic toward customers. Try to make a reservation at any noted fish fry establishment and they'll laugh at you... literally. So you're pretty much forced to wait in tight quarters, holding your coat. Then, when you're finally seated, you're approached by harried waiter who expects to be excused for crappy service because of how busy it is.

In other words, is the fish fry experience all its cracked up to be? I mean, we're talking about fried fish here, right? Is it worth the hassle?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:18 am

My solution is to go early. Bars that serve up Friday fish fries want a lot of people waiting. The profits on booze is much higher than on the fish.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:31 am

Early is good. Off season (not during Lent) is better. It's worth the hassle if the fish is good, which is far from a given. I'm partial to the Ave and the Orpheum (though I haven't been there lately).

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:33 am

Henry Vilas wrote:My solution is to go early. Bars that serve up Friday fish fries want a lot of people waiting. The profits on booze is much higher than on the fish.

Are you enjoying your time at Del Boca Vista Hank?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:34 am

Fortunately for me, I'm largely indifferent to eating fish - fried or otherwise.

After almost twenty years living here I've capitulated almost completely to all other aspects of Wisconsin culture. But two tours of duty on fishing boats in the Bering Sea left me with a strong aversion to all things piscean.

So - don't blame me if there's a line for the fish fry; I'm having the chicken.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Really Marvell? Two tours on fishing boats in the Bearing Sea?

Could you share some details? This sounds like an interesting story.

As far as friday fish goes, a couple weeks ago we went to the Avenue Bar. I made reservations the day before. When we arrived, we were told that there would still be at least a half hour wait. (What was the point of reservations?".

After half an hour or so, we were seated. The server came by twice, just to say she'll be with us soon. Half an hour later, she came by and took our drink orders. I ordered two drinks at this point, because I doubted we'd see her again.

We were finally served the drinks, with the food, an hour and 20 minutes after we had arrived; 40 minutes after sitting at the table.

I don't think we'll do that on Friday ever again!

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Go to the church fries. The Friday Fish Fries at Immaculate Heart St. Mary in Monona are fantastic and the wait is usually short. And they serve beer.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Learned wrote:Go to the church fries. The Friday Fish Fries at Immaculate Heart St. Mary in Monona are fantastic and the wait is usually short. And they serve beer.

But is it good beer?

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 pm

My favorite hassle free Friday fish fry is the one at the V.F.W. on CTY HWY CV, north of the airport.

If it's Bob's turn to cook, the catfish is amazing. The other fish choices are pretty damn good too.

Cheap drinks with full salad at the bar.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:41 pm

Pogoagogo wrote:I don't think we'll do that on Friday ever again!

Yeah, it can get pretty bad. We go so early that we sometimes meet the senior rush coming in as we're leaving. At that hour, the crowd is manageable.

Fried cod is a permanent fixture on the Ave menu, so if you're jonesing for a fry, you could always go on a Tuesday.

Some church fries are good, some not so hot. The fish fry at my childhood church is the standard to which I hold all others. Nothing's ever measured up. Bonus: they always had homemade pies for sale, including my aunt Rose's lemon meringue, which was unfuckingbelievable.

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Learned wrote:Go to the church fries. The Friday Fish Fries at Immaculate Heart St. Mary in Monona are fantastic and the wait is usually short. And they serve beer.

But is it good beer?

Miller and Leinenkugel products.

Depends on your definition, I guess.

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Some church fries are good, some not so hot. The fish fry at my childhood church is the standard to which I hold all others. Nothing's ever measured up. Bonus: they always had homemade pies for sale, including my aunt Rose's lemon meringue, which was unfuckingbelievable.

Me too. Ours served fried Lake [Michigan] perch. None of this cod bullshit.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:56 pm

Learned wrote:Ours served fried Lake [Michigan] perch. None of this cod bullshit.

Go perch or go home.

Seriously. There is no Wisconsin Friday fish without perch (or baby walleye...ohh mama).

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:58 pm

I go for the lake perch or the bluegill at the Big Ten Pub (where Nick Zabel of Dexter's used to work). The best baby walleye I've had locally was at the Nau-Ti-Gal.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:01 pm

These fish fry threads have been killing me. I gotta get out more.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”