Macaroni Grill Closing

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
chleppr

Macaroni Grill Closing

Postby chleppr » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:35 pm

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:42 pm

Where oh where will I get my factory made, flash-frozen grilled macaroni?

Another chain closing. Oh the humanity!

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:01 pm

That's quite some turnover for Greenway Station restaurants. Big Bowl (replaced by TGI Fridays), Bear Rock Cafe (replaced by Cosi), and now Romano's.
What will it be replaced with?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:14 pm

i'd pray for a texas roadhouse, but doubt my prayers would be answered.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:17 pm

texas roadhouse??? have you been keeping up on the news???

grumpus

Postby grumpus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:27 pm

I liked Big Bowl and miss it a lot.

Greenway Station as a whole destination is a big flop. They were going for the cool, upscale vibe intitally, but it's just become a big borefest trying to catch the overrun at West Towne.

There is nothing restaurant-wise worth making a trip out there for. And the stores suck too....They missed the boat by not putting something like the Apple store in there.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:41 pm

Cost Plus is worth a visit. Especially if you have the coupons they circulate once in a while.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:45 pm

grumpus wrote:I liked Big Bowl and miss it a lot.

Greenway Station as a whole destination is a big flop. They were going for the cool, upscale vibe intitally, but it's just become a big borefest trying to catch the overrun at West Towne.

There is nothing restaurant-wise worth making a trip out there for. And the stores suck too....They missed the boat by not putting something like the Apple store in there.

I think the management of Greenway Station either is or was terrible. I don't know if it's operated by the same people that started it, but they've obviously made some major missteps.

1) Not reeling in the Oil and Vinegar franchise that was halfway done with interior construction before it fell through

2) Not trying harder to keep a branch of the MMOCA Store open after Overture was done

3) Agreed on the Apple Store bit, but I suspect that Apple prefers enclosed malls to open-air shopping centers, and Apple's a pretty big animal to butt heads with

4) Michael's and Oshkosh B'gosh (now Justice Just for Girls, whatever the hell that means). Nuff said

5) WHY NO FUCKING CRATE AND BARREL JESUS CHRIST. Bringing them in, especially in the space that went to Linens 'n' Things, would have A) REALLY classed the joint up, and B) prevented the need to force in the three or so different home furnishings stores that opened and failed along that same row

We can only hope that, after Sharper Image goes belly up once and for all, the ownership works really fucking hard to bring in something awesome.

grumpus

Postby grumpus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:00 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I think the management of Greenway Station either is or was terrible. I don't know if it's operated by the same people that started it, but they've obviously made some major missteps.

1) Not reeling in the Oil and Vinegar franchise that was halfway done with interior construction before it fell through

2) Not trying harder to keep a branch of the MMOCA Store open after Overture was done

3) Agreed on the Apple Store bit, but I suspect that Apple prefers enclosed malls to open-air shopping centers, and Apple's a pretty big animal to butt heads with

4) Michael's and Oshkosh B'gosh (now Justice Just for Girls, whatever the hell that means). Nuff said

5) WHY NO FUCKING CRATE AND BARREL JESUS CHRIST. Bringing them in, especially in the space that went to Linens 'n' Things, would have A) REALLY classed the joint up, and B) prevented the need to force in the three or so different home furnishings stores that opened and failed along that same row.

We can only hope that, after Sharper Image goes belly up once and for all, the ownership works really fucking hard to bring in something awesome.

Yeah, agreed, especially w/Crate & Barrel...or something along those lines, like Room and Board.

I like DSW and World Market, and shop at both, but from a business perspective there ain't much else there @ Greenway that you can't get elsewhere.

Apple does have a store at Old Orchard in Chicago (another open air mall, or as they like to say, 'lifestyle center') which was why I was really surprised Greenway didn't get 'em.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:12 pm

Restaurant-wise, Claddagh ain't bad.....unless it's gone downhill. Haven't been out there for awhile.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:21 pm

gargantua wrote:Restaurant-wise, Claddagh ain't bad.....unless it's gone downhill. Haven't been out there for awhile.

I still dig it. Can't say I've ever had a bad meal there.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:34 pm

supaunknown wrote:
gargantua wrote:Restaurant-wise, Claddagh ain't bad.....unless it's gone downhill. Haven't been out there for awhile.

Uh... you complained about how it had "gone downhill" the one time we went there together...
Just sayin'...

Love hearing Crate & Barrel described as classy. That's priceless.
{snarky Apple store comment removed -- it's Friday and I don't want to start a pointless argument.}

square wrote:texas roadhouse??? have you been keeping up on the news???
So, um... what kind of a fucking freak takes up a complaint about hair in their food to the cops?
Obviously what that cook did was wrong but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that this particular customer is probably a pain-in-the-ass in general.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:37 pm

I APOLOGIZE FOR GOING DOWN THIS ROAD, but in the interest of self-flagellation, I will leave the rest of the post alone.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

Uh... you complained about how it had "gone downhill" the one time we went there together...
Just sayin'...

Love hearing Crate & Barrel described as classy. That's priceless.
{snarky Apple store comment removed -- it's Friday and I don't want to start a pointless argument.}

square wrote:texas roadhouse??? have you been keeping up on the news???
So, um... what kind of a fucking freak takes up a complaint about hair in their food to the cops?
Obviously what that cook did was wrong but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that this particular customer is probably a pain-in-the-ass in general.

Quoted to preserve Prof. Wagstaff at his trolliest. I mean c'mon, Wags. Crate and Barrel troll, Apple troll, law and public health troll. Care to take a shot at Brett Farve while you're at it?
Last edited by thebookpolice on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:41 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Quoted to preserve Prof. Wagstaff at his trolliest. I mean c'mon, Wags. Crate and Barrel troll, Apple troll, law and public health troll. Care to take a shot at Brett Farve while you're at it?

You're ridiculous.
Since when does having a different opinion about what kind of store is "classy" make someone a troll?
And, hello, I'm seriously asking: What kind of a fucking freak takes up a complaint about hair in their food to the cops?

I'm no more a troll than you are, pal.
One more crack like that and you can shove that $10 I owe ya right up it, dig?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:48 pm

AGAIN, SORRY.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Quoted to preserve Prof. Wagstaff at his trolliest. I mean c'mon, Wags. Crate and Barrel troll, Apple troll, law and public health troll. Care to take a shot at Brett Farve while you're at it?

You're ridiculous.
Since when does having a different opinion about what kind of store is "classy" make someone a troll?
And, hello, I'm seriously asking: What kind of a fucking freak takes up a complaint about hair in their food to the cops?

I'm no more a troll than you are, pal.
One more crack like that and you can shove that $10 I owe ya right up it, dig?

Well, you didn't just say "I don't think Crate and Barrel is classy." You said it was "priceless," emphasis on the SNARK, that anyone would find it classy. That's asking for an impassioned or at least defensive response, if you want my perspective. Crate and Barrel certainly isn't a slummy joint.

You yourself admitted you were going to make a snarky Apple comment, but instead made a left-handed pseudo-amendment to further irk the Apple people.

And I don't see how someone taking a matter of potential violation of the law to the police is that ridiculous. Where is the line of demarcation where one body part is report-to-the-cops worthy, and a lesser part is not?

And c'mon, Pefesser. It's 3:45 on a Friday. Have a little fun. I need that $10 in case the Packers lead the Lions by 3 or more games. Otherwise Marvell's gonna kneecap me.
Last edited by thebookpolice on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”