an excellent lentil soup recipe

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

an excellent lentil soup recipe

Postby anaranjado » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:54 pm

This lentil soup recipe is the best I have ever tasted, I've made it so often that I start craving it every few weeks.

3 strips bacon, sliced into small pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup lentils, washed (pref. lentils de puy)
4 1/2 cups broth (I use chicken)
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup white wine
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
sour cream and fresh parsley to serve (optional)

Fry bacon pieces until crispy. Put diced onion and carrots into the pot and cook with the bacon. Add garlic and let it cook a few minutes. Add lentils and tomatoes, cook 8-10 minutes on medium-low heat. Add wine, bring to a simmer, add broth and water.

Cook for 30 minutes on low heat, partially covered. When soup is cooked nicely, puree 3 cups of soup in a blender and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar. Return pureed mixture to the pot. Salt and pepper as needed. Add parsley and serve with a dollup of sour cream.

I always use the green lentils and I think they really add to the flavor. I also wouldn't skip the balsamic as it really adds a nice depth of flavor. I usually just puree about a cup of it in my mini chopper to mix up the balsamic, but cuts down on the dishes and hassle.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 pm

Bacon soup. Yup.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:10 am

Best I ever had, out, was a French lentil recipe. It was almost black and very simple, but tasty.

I don't like the recipes that use tomato. If you're out of bacon, a bit of smoked sausage is good too.

Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:39 am

Ana, this looks really familiar. Where did you get it?

I have everything on hand. I know what I'm doing tonight. Thanks!

lentil soup

Postby anaranjado » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:48 am

I found it on Chowhound (the home cooking section of the message board). Someone posted a link to it and it is from some culinary group's recipe board. I'll try to remember the name -- they had some other great looking recipes, too.

Found it:
The Culinary Review ... 6630089131

Let me know how you like it!

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”