Where to find Paczkis (POONSH-SKEES) in Madison?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Newtotown

Where to find Paczkis (POONSH-SKEES) in Madison?

Postby Newtotown » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Hey all,

Ok, I am looking for a place (bakery/Deli) that sells Paczkis around Madison - I would prefer a mom-and-pop Polish deli that makes their own from scratch(as opposed to Copps). There's a American/Polish Deli on E. Washington, but they, suprisingly, had no idea what I was talking about.

I hope somemone knows, because tomorrow is Fat Tuesday...and Paczkis are required!

Thanks a ton,

Matt!

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Well, I hate to quibble with a nationality not my own, but Wikipediabegs to differ with your pronounciation guide. That might be the problem. I think the dude who runs Alex is old-school enough that he doesn't pick up on American accented Polish, even when we try really hard (I learned this firsthand trying to find out when makowiec was in-stock).

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:24 pm

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Last edited by Newtotown on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Book,

Hello again - yea, I called that deli back after I posted, and tried again, he understood fine. He told me to come in and his wife would make some for me...

I say POONSH-SKII or PUNCH-SKII most often. I have heard PATCH-SKI and all sorts of other pronunciations.... Anything close, and I'll know what they are talking about.

Thanks ,

Matt!

P.S. and YES, he is very oldschool - but that's preferred in this case!

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:31 pm

POONSH-SKII...PUNCH-SKII...Let's call the whole thing off...ski

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Copps on Monona Drive had them yesterday.

Did you find 'em anywhere?

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:55 pm

Rosemary,

Thanks for checkin' in! Yea, we saw the Copp's 'Paczkis.' No surprise, they were just over-sized, cream-filled donuts (See pic below)

REAL Paczkis are supposed to look like these:

See what I mean -- HUGE difference. Oh well, lesson learned. Next year we'll have to start searching months in advance... Or take a quick trip to Milwaukee where hard-core, Polish Paczki bakeries are plentiful!

Thanks,

Matt!
P.S. Now I want one.....

Earthy

Postby Earthy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 am

'Tis the season for a good Paczki!

Check out National Bakery on 9th & Oklahoma on the South Side of Milwaukee. Oh my goodness are those little Polish pastries good!

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 am

What, are you too busy with your godawful election drama to post full-time as Sheppy?

cherryj

paczki in Milwaukee and Madison

Postby cherryj » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:16 pm

National Bakery is on 16th and Ohio in Milwaukee and their paczki are the very best, except for those made by my busia.
San Angel Bakery is on 9th and Oklahoma. As a former neighbor on 9th Place, I remember there has been a bakery at the 9th and Oklahoma location for more than 60 years. And bakery is still both the name of the shop and the products that you buy within it. Only in Milwaukee would you say, " I'm going to the bakery to pick up some bakery for breakfast."

Anyway, I had one of the paczki from Alex on E. Washington. It wasn't the freshest, but it was the real thing, not like the Copp's paczki wannabes!

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:14 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:godawful election drama

Well pardon me, doood. I mean it's not like I'm the Onion here, alright? I do not have an editor, I do not paid to sit around and write this shit. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not. I mean this isn't my job, I'm just a guy sitting at a desk wearing a tie who comes on here to blow off a little steam for 15 minutes a day writing crazy shit. I do not care if you think it's godawful or if you think it's rip-roarin' hilarious. My guess is that some people thought my 50 states thing was hilarious, some people thought it was horseshit and the rest were indifferent. So I take it you didn't like my Mitt Romney schtick. Fine. Don't click on it. Don't read it. It's not like I receive a nickel per page view or anything. I don't care. I do this for one reason and one reason alone: to amuse myself. So fuck off and eat your prune paczki.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:36 pm

So you did get your old job back!

:roll:

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”