Microfoam / Microfroth / Latte Art -- anywhere around town?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Newtotown

Microfoam / Microfroth / Latte Art -- anywhere around town?

Postby Newtotown » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Hey all,

Ok, I have been unsuccessful in finding any self-proclaimed espresso bar around town that has even heard of microfroth/microfoam.

I have called:

Muddy Waters
Muddy Moose
Michaelangelo's
Escape Java

You would THINK that they would be familiar with it -- not none of them have even HEARD of those terms...

So, has anyone in the greater Madison area been to a place that does micro-technique -- or Latte art, for that matter...

If you are still scratching your heard, but are interested, microfoam is the area between steamed milk and traditional 'foam.' It has a velvety, paint-like sheen, and has a yogurt consistency. The biggest keu is that there are NO visible bubbles... Unlike the dish-soap froth you get from Starbucks... --

Here's a quick vid with BASIC instructions: HERE

Some cool latte art: HERE

I appreciate your feedback,

Matt!
Last edited by Newtotown on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Wow. Thanks for clueing me in.
I thought it was what Bill Gates ejaculates.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Well, what a sorry state of affairs we find ourselves in! No latte art? It's an atrosmacy!

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:43 pm

maybe you could open your own cafe and the closeted froth art snobs would come out of the woodwork. i suggest you talk to the city and open it in the allied drive neighborhood. they're looking for a little pick-me-up, and i think some latte art would be the best thing to cheer that depressed neighborhood up.

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:09 pm

Haha,

Yea -- for the Allied shop; I don't think there would be many applicants.

Really though, I wasn't trying to be snobby -- I just figured that if the espresso bar was familiar with a 'specialty' technique, then the chances are that they are pretty good at the other stuff too....

Kinda like... If an architect has built 50 mansions, and they all look great & are well-built, then the chances are that he will do a good job constructing your new porch...

That's all,

Matt!

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:18 pm

As a former barista I can tell you that I've never heard the term "microfoam" but I know what it means... I call it "good foam." It's actually how foam is supposed to be. Most good baristas know that and at least make attempts to get that consistency. As for latte art, although the perfect froth/foam is important for that meticulous form of expression, what's more important is the width of the spout the foam is poured through. I've gotten artful lattes from Ancora and from Barrique's, though as always it depends on who's making the coffee.

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:35 pm

swoon_queen wrote:I've gotten artful lattes from Ancora and from Barrique's, though as always it depends on who's making the coffee.

Queen,

Thank you! That's all I wanted to hear. It will be nice to get some decent Lattes like this - since most places just pour hot milk in, and toss some soap on top! I'll check out both places, and see what I find

By the way, do you still play Barista at home?

Thanks again,

Matt!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Microfoam / Microfroth / Latte Art -- anywhere around to

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Newtotown wrote:...or Latte art, for that matter...

Is that kinda like stout head art?

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Henry,

Yea -- same thing....um...but different.

Later,

Matt!

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:30 pm

It sounds like you are describing the type of foam we make at Mother Fool's. I've never heard the term "microfoam" though.. As mentioned previously, this is the "good" foam. We say "tight."

As to latte art, some of our baristas are into it and others don't care. Either way the foam will be perfect and the drink will taste great.

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:13 am

jhain wrote:It sounds like you are describing the type of foam we make at Mother Fool's. I've never heard the term "microfoam" though.. As mentioned previously, this is the "good" foam. We say "tight."

As to latte art, some of our baristas are into it and others don't care. Either way the foam will be perfect and the drink will taste great.

Jhain,

Great! That's awesome to hear... I called MF earlier in the day, and the person wasn't sure what I was trying to describe - but said to call back and talk to a manager -- but, since you said they do it - i'll definitely be in for a 'tight' Latte...

I'll be in in the next few days... I take it you work there...cool.

Thanks a ton!

Matt
Last edited by Newtotown on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:30 am

Newtotown wrote:since you said they do it - i'll definitely be in for a 'tight' Latte...

Dude, I swear to god, if you walk in there and order it that way, I'll hear you from down the street and march right down there and dump your tight latte down the front of your tight pants.

Seriously. You've obviously got an espresso jones. Just find a place that makes good espresso/lattes/cappucinos/whatever and order them there. Why do you feel like you have to call them something? From where, exactly, are you new to this town? I've got a guess.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:34 am

Newtotown... come to think of it, Mother Fool's is perhaps most consistent when it comes to good foam. Yes, I still play barista at home occasionally. You must be very serious about coffee. I was too after moving here from the east coast. I did eventually lighten up a bit... the "perfect" latte may be few and far between here, but I always remember that there are no deep fried cheese curds available on the coast.

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:38 am

BookPolice,

Wow - I think i hit a soft spot..lol.

Take it from me, i am the LAST person who orders with fancy names, I CAN'T STAND it - and am the first to roll my eyes at those who do (and think they are cooler for doing so). If it helps you understand where I am coming from, I still REFUSE to say Venti, tall, or Grande - or whatever.. I still say small, large, etc....

Also, notice how I put quotation marks around ''tight'' - that was for a reason....that way he would know what I was referring to. Anyway, the only reason I would order something special, is because if i DON'T then, they won't make it the way I want.

If they make a latte, for example, and always just pour hot milk in it -- why would someone accept that when they just have to say "latte with tight foam" and then get it exactly how they want it.... The espresso dude can't read your mind.

Kinda like being afraid to order a burger without tomatoes - so you keep searching around town for a place that serves burgers without them by default so you don't have to ask...

Plus, a place like Mother Fool's is a coffee house, if you feel stupid ordering a custom drink at a specialty shop, then go to McDonalds....

Oh, yea, try and guess where I am from...haha. I never even knew the difference between a latte and a cappuccino as of a month ago -- I found something I like, and I am looking for it... Nothing wrong with that...

Wasted too much time typing this,

Matt!

Queen,

Thanks again for your input... I'll check them out!
Last edited by Newtotown on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:43 am

I order food and drink the way it's written on the menu. That doesn't make me "cooler," it makes me "literate."

If I want something prepared differently, I ask. If I want their menu worded differently, I write a letter to the management; I don't stage a pretentious little one-man protest against pretentiousness.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”