Breakfast cafes?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
jessie

Breakfast cafes?

Postby jessie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a good place for breakfast that's a little more of an old fashioned cafe, like the kind of place that has the same waitresses who have been there forever and remember to bring you coffee refills.

Something non-chain, not too packed or filled with students. I checked out Mickey's and Cleveland's and they were both good but really small and crowded and not exactly the quiet "homey" type of environment I'm going for. The Avenue Bar is close and they serve a decent breakfast so that works, but I'd love to have other options that have even more small-town flavor with a crowd of the regulars.

I'm in Verona so anything on the west side, in a little town not too far from Verona, or downtown would be fine. (Probably just not the far east side so I don't need to drive 30+ minutes for pancakes and bacon.)

Thanks!

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:47 pm

I believe you are looking for the Copper Top, in the parking lot of Vitense Golfland near the corner of Whitney Way and the Beltline.

jessie

Postby jessie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:06 pm

I drive past that place all the time and have never gone in to check it out. Great suggestion! Thank you.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Pancake House on University and Parkway Restuarant right off the Beltline & Fitch Hatchery Road.

slake

Postby slake » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Since you're so close in Verona, you should head to Mt. Horeb and check out Schubert's Old Fashioned Cafe and Bakery on main street. It probably has a larger square footage than cleveland's, but it's really the light wall colors, big front windows and lofted ceilings that make it feel a lot larger than it is. I think they still do counter service, but it's been awhile since I've been there.

If my memory serves me, they were also called Blue Sky Cafe for awhile, after ownership changed hands. But recently the original name came back, although the specific business circumstances are unknown to me.

It's pretty easy to find too, only a couple storefronts from the only stoplight "downtown". Despite being a pretty hopping joint some mornings, they could always use more business, so I hope you get a chance to check it out.

jessie

Postby jessie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks for the other great suggestions! I'm excited to have some new places to try. I'll probably check out one or two of them this weekend.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Oh, come on. Ya gotta suggest The Curve! South Park St, across from the north corner of St Mary's.

It doesn't get much more "traditional diner" than that.

workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:03 am

I'd avoid all 3 Curve locations (if they are still associated with each other), they lack consistancy and the service was hit or train wreck, depending on the day. Willy street was the worst.

The name escapes me, although I visit it 3 times a month, but the "family" restaurant at Stoughton and Milwaukee is like the diners I remember. Busy, good, filling, good prices, salty waitresses, overall great comfort. And for those who like breaking Madison taboos, you can smoke.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:57 am

The Jet Room.

zelda
Forum Addict

Postby zelda » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:38 am

This is out of town, but if you are ever in Stoughton try the Koffee Kup on Main Street. Be hungry when you go.

JohnnyBlood

Postby JohnnyBlood » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:43 am

Easy...the Green Lantern in McFarland.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:59 am

Cottage Cafe on Atlas Avenue

Brothers 3 on Fair Oaks

Prairie Diner in Sun Prairie

Second on the Jet Room but they don't open until 8 a.m. on Sunday

Guess you can tell I'm an east sider, right?

jessie

Postby jessie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Thanks again for all the good suggestions!

On Friday AM I checked out Schubert's in Mount Horeb and it was perfect. Good food, attentive service, and the kind of atmosphere I was looking for.

Saturday morning I went to the Copper Top. Again - a good call. The breakfast menu was extensive, they had someone walking around to refill coffee non-stop, and it was very relaxed. I'll be back for sure.

Sunday morning my guest and I checked out C's Restaurant in Middleton on the recommendation of a friend. Cute place with pretty decent food but it was completely packed with the after church crowd so I'll have to go again when it's not so busy.

I'll keep the other east side, Sun Prairie, Stoughton, etc. recommendations in mind for when I'm in that area next. :)

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”