Where Can I Get a %@**!! Cruller??

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Where Can I Get a %@**!! Cruller??

Postby evansvillehousewife » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:58 pm

A genuine Cruller. The kind that are 6 inches long, are cakey (not that yeasty psuedo-Wonderbread shit that they glaze) and covered with lots of yummy glaze?

The closest thing I can find are those crappy Little Debbie dunkers that look like turds and are loaded with preservatives.

Real Crullers are eaten fresh (preferably warm) and will turn into a rock by the next day.

When Sentry's was alive, Crestwood Bakery made them. I got one every Saturday right before my Dad would take me to the park.
Now I have hit Copps, Woodmans, Lanes, etc and no deal. Everybody seems to eschew cake donuts for that yeasty stuff.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:06 pm

evansvillehousewife wrote:Dr. Gustafson (psychiatrist) and Dr Woods (psychotherapist) are the bomb.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:25 pm

I know where you can get a good crueller, or even a kruller, but not a cruller.

Seriously though, good question.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Have you tried the Greenbush Bakery?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Stomach wrote:I know where you can get a good crueller, or even a kruller, but not a cruller.

Seriously though, good question.

Sassy. You can find a cruller here.

I'm sure I've seen them somewheres or another, but the last place I know I've seen them is at the gas station/convenience store at the Hwy 41/Cty Hwy 76 interchange in Oshkosh.

I dunno about six inches though; maybe, if you asked the cruller.

evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:47 pm

Fisticuffs- They made me seek professional mental health after I stalked and killed the last foron who pissed me off.

Sideshow bob- No. I have not tried Greenbush. However, in retrospect, they are the most logical place to start looking. Thank you.

For the record, I am not looking for the french cruller, although I do love those as well.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Where Can I Get a %@**!! Cruller??

Postby donges » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:57 pm

evansvillehousewife wrote:A genuine Cruller. The kind that are 6 inches long, are cakey (not that yeasty psuedo-Wonderbread shit that they glaze) and covered with lots of yummy glaze?

Speedway gas stations. Or at least the one on Monona Dr (used to be a SuperAmerica). I think they are from Grebe's bakery - if not anymore, they used to be.
But you got to get there early, 'cause those are the first to disappear from the case.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:07 pm

Have you tried Peoples bakery?

If that fails, ask a cop.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:55 pm

donges wrote:Speedway gas stations. Or at least the one on Monona Dr (used to be a SuperAmerica). I think they are from Grebe's bakery - if not anymore, they used to be.
But you got to get there early, 'cause those are the first to disappear from the case.

Those are exactly the ones I was talking about in my post.

And no, the Greenbush "crullers" are actually jelly-filled cake donuts. They're good, but not the same.

People's Bakery only makes the French variety. Awesome donuts, but not what you're looking for.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:14 pm

What's the name of that little bakery next to the Stop n' Go across from the golf course at the end of Speedway Drive? I think it has a french name, maybe they might have some.

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:26 pm

I think that's Madeline's Patisserie on Speedway.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:32 pm

That's it, that's the place. Haven't been there but heard rave reviews. Don't know if they have cruellers, but I'm sure they have something or another that'll trip a taste bud orgasm.

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:12 am

Unless they've stopped carrying them, I always got decent krullers (sp?) at PDQs.

shyguy

Postby shyguy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:19 am

evansvillehousewife wrote:A genuine Cruller. The kind that are 6 inches long, are cakey (not that yeasty psuedo-Wonderbread shit that they glaze) and covered with lots of yummy glaze?

The closest thing I can find are those crappy Little Debbie dunkers that look like turds and are loaded with preservatives.

Real Crullers are eaten fresh (preferably warm) and will turn into a rock by the next day.

When Sentry's was alive, Crestwood Bakery made them. I got one every Saturday right before my Dad would take me to the park.
Now I have hit Copps, Woodmans, Lanes, etc and no deal. Everybody seems to eschew cake donuts for that yeasty stuff.

Was in the Sentry at Acewood and Cottage Grove Rd. tonight, they have Crestwood Bakery inside, and I saw the Grebe's crullers with my own eyes. Come on over to the east side.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 am

They also have cake by the slice...mmmm, cake.

Take a ride out to The Pine Cone, they may have them. If not, at least buy a cream puff as big as your head.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”