Refrigerate after opening

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
habari
Forum Addict

refrigeration

Postby habari » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:51 am

One time I was trying to peel the safety sticker off of the business end of a plastic bottle of sriracha, and it fell out of my hands and bounced squarely off of the floor, creating an eruption of sriracha that apexed directly into my gaping eyes as I stupidly watched to see where the bottle would land, thus creating a scene of intense physical pain and perfect physical comedy that no ethereal being besides myself, the sufferer, would have been able to witness.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 am

I call those my "Lucy" moments.

For those too young: Lucille Ball

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:45 am

fennel wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:It's consistency is a lot more like a salsa than Frank's. Modified corn starch and mustard, but no papaya or sugar. It even has potassium sorbate as a preservative.

It's not this one? :
http://www.asiamex.com/proddetail.cfm?C ... SubCatID=8

That's one of the three Matouk's I buy and use in a rotating basis. I get them at Yue Wah. The hottest is the flambeau sauce, next the hot sauce and the mildest (but still plenty hot) the calypso sauce. Jamerica uses the calypso in many of their entrees.

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:47 am

What about Smuckers Orange Marmalade?

I just realized my orange marmalade has the "refridgerate after opening" statement on it. Will it be okay without chilling?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:58 pm

universitylad wrote:What about Smuckers Orange Marmalade?

I just realized my orange marmalade has the "refridgerate after opening" statement on it. Will it be okay without chilling?

Does the lid bulge, is it fuzzy, does it have an off smell? If you can answer no to all three, I say give it a shot. If you end up in the ER, take your laptop along and tell me my advice sucked.

joey

Postby joey » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:30 am

i'm assuming they're saying that just to cover their asses. and yes, the ph level will affect how long something is good until it turns bad. thats why you shouldnt make garlic or any other flavored oil--or anything with sugar. they can go bad, without you knowing it, and make you sick.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”