Vom Fass

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
@wood
Forum Addict

Vom Fass

Postby @wood » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:58 am

Vom Fass just opened on University Avenue in the same strip as Penzy's spices where Chickadee Depot was formerly located (Shorewood shopping center). It is a foodie venue for imported artisan vinegar, oil, whiskey, liqueur, and European wine. You can sample all of their products.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Vom Fass

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:28 am

@wood wrote:It is a foodie venue ...

That's it, you're off the Christmas list.

When are you fuckers gonna get hip to the fact that "foodie" is a term invented by assholes for assholes to describe those same assholes?

Grow the fuck up, fatty.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:47 am

@wood wrote:You can sample all of their products.

Even the whiskey? I thought Doyle line item vetoed the hard liquor sampling proposal in the recent state budget bill.

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:52 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
@wood wrote:You can sample all of their products.

Even the whiskey? I thought Doyle line item vetoed the hard liquor sampling proposal in the recent state budget bill.

If so, he has disgraced his Irish Catholic roots.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:14 pm

mmmmmmmmm....taste-testing vinegar and oil. I think I'll stick to tasting pizza slices at Woodies.

But whiskey, now there's an idea.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:57 pm

I'll give it a shot. Isn't the premise that everything comes in barrels (or other bulk storage) and you bring your own containers or portion it yourself or something?

Side note - the 'sampling of liquor' at grocery stores that was included in the budget was a prime example of half-assed soundbite reporting. It would have allowed grocers to allow people to sample small amounts of liquor similar to the way they do with food (only with legal restrictions on who, how much, etc). Not an awesome idea, but given the cost of booze versus the cost of, say, frozen pizza, I doubt many stores would even consider doing this, and the ones that would do it would probably be niche stores with sales people and stuff. It wouldn't be the end of civilization.

Reading the papers, you'd think Copp's was going to be handing out jello-shots to everyone who walked in the door and setting up a Jaegermeister chiller in the meat section. And naturally, MADD got word that it would allow people to consume alcohol and proceeded to have a shit-fit.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:11 pm

From the DP Eats section.

[quote]Coming soon to Shorewood Hills: the first American franchise of Vom Fass, the German specialty-food chain that â€â€

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:16 pm

This will now fill the niche (European-based oil and vinegar purveyors) that was almost filled by Dutch-based Oil and Vinegar at Greenway, until their funding fell through and they scampered back over the dike with their tails between their legs.

Thank god! (that's Godzijdank to you clog-hoppers, thanks for nothing)

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:32 pm

It was started by brewers who saw that wine tastings at liquor stores are ok, but beer tastings aren't.

vomfassguy

Vom Fass & tastings

Postby vomfassguy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:29 am

Just a bit of clarification (if one actually can clarify the melange of federal, state, and local liquor laws); the proposal to add spirits to the laws allowing retail stores to offer beer and wine tastings was vetoed by the governor. The Vom Fass shop elected to be licensed as a bar - rendering the question of 'tastings' moot.

The big change for U.S. Vom Fass shops from the European ones is that we cannot decant alcohol products from their casks directly into bottles. We have to pre-fill a range of bottle shapes and sizes. But you can still taste/sample every oil, vinegar, wine, spirit, and liquour in the shop.

The liquours have not yet made it through the TTB approval process yet, and will be delayed until Februrary - but nearly all the spirits are now in stock, with more coming in every day.

As an aside; the Oil & Vinegar franchise store products are just purchased as commodities. All Vom Fass products come from small, artisanal producers who make the product in traditional ways, and in the traditional regions. Vom Fass seeks these people out and develops long-term relationships with them - thus insuring product taste and quality.

OK, I'll quite evangelizing now and just invite you to stop by and taste for yourself.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:07 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:When are you fuckers gonna get hip to the fact that "foodie" is a term invented by assholes for assholes to describe those same assholes?

Grow the fuck up, fatty.

Oh, you and Chris Onstad can both just blow me. Who's more the asshole, the asshole that uses a made-up word or the asshole that takes it upon themselves to lecture other assholes on what assholes they are for using said neologisms?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:19 pm

NullDevice wrote:
lordofthecockrings wrote:When are you fuckers gonna get hip to the fact that "foodie" is a term invented by assholes for assholes to describe those same assholes?

Grow the fuck up, fatty.

Oh, you and Chris Onstad can both just blow me. Who's more the asshole, the asshole that uses a made-up word or the asshole that takes it upon themselves to lecture other assholes on what assholes they are for using said neologisms?

The asshole that freaks out and riot acts the asshole that took it upon themselves to to lecture other assholes on what assholes they are?
Ha! Kidding.
But I do hate the term "foodie."
Like food is some bizarre fetish.
I mean, who hates food?
(Excluding rice cakes.)

@wood
Forum Addict

Postby @wood » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:50 pm

blunt wrote:"foodie" is a term invented by assholes for assholes to describe those same assholes?

But I do hate the term "foodie."
Like food is some bizarre fetish.
I mean, who hates food?
(Excluding rice cakes.)

due to all the controversy surrounding the topic of foodie, whether a word or not, I journeyed to the ancient Holy Land to seek the Ark of the Covenant. It might have been the hash, or the pure imported Afghan poppy stew, but sure enough, on the entire back side of the second tablet under XI (yeah, I thought is odd they were Roman numerals. Also odd, the first ten were Algonguin), was inscribed:

THOU SHALL NOT SAY FOODIE.<whip crack!>

THOU SHALL NOT SAY FOODIE.<whip crack!>
Last edited by @wood on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maxine
Forum Addict

Postby Maxine » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Anti-Foodites. I'm a born again Foodist.

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:22 pm

Screw all y'all -- I'm a Fooder.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”