Pasqual's at Hilldale is open

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Pasqual's at Hilldale is open

Postby bassbari » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:24 pm

I went last night. I was walking by and saw that they were having a soft opening, so I went in to check it out. Very nice decor and friendly staff. Food is the same as the other locations but they have a full bar with a large container of sangria sitting on the bar. Very good with a kick to it. I love the chicken fajita burrito. I see that they have a coffee shop area as well and will be serving brunch on weekends.
Finally a place in the area other than McDonald's that sells egg dishes for breakfast. I will be back.

Hilldale is getting bigger and better by the day. Check out Metcalf's. They must have the biggest deli in the state. The wine place is open now and so is Antropologie. Beautiful windows for Christmas.

Invariably someone will rant about the changes. I love it. It is better than grass growing in the parking lot.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:28 pm

Yeah but Bratfest.....Farmer's Market....splutter.

The woman is a major Anthropologie fan. We went there last weekend, and man. I'd hate to be responsible for the seasonal decor put-up/take-down. Talk about minutiae. Cute stuff, though.

I will always bitch, however, about Chocolate Shoppe getting the boot in favor of Ben and Jerry's, solely on principle.

Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pasqual's at Hilldale is open

Postby Veeder » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:06 pm

bassbari wrote:Finally a place in the area other than McDonald's that sells egg dishes for breakfast.

A breakfast place in that area would absolutely kill it. The Magic Mill site would be perfect.

I don't want to open a restaurant but would be very pleased if someone did.

A near-westside Marigold?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:29 pm

used to be a pancake house right there.

so much for progress.

and pasquals sucks.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Remember when Pasqual's was huge and didn't suck and everybody went there?

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:58 am

I thoroughly agree with bassbari about the improvements at Hilldale...tremendous and feels very classy.

I do not, however, care for some of the stuff that is going on in the area surrounding Hilldale.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:39 am

I gotta say, as an oldie, who's watched the place, from the beginning, I feel really good over there. I'm having a good time selling. Except for the awful N.Midvale & University Av. intersection, it's nice to walk around! The lunch, at Sentry, is tasty and affordable. Sales at Macy's are good. I still love going over to Willy Coop, but I will not deny my happiness at Hilldale. It is still one of the best looking shopping areas, I've ever seen. Now if Westgate would just follow their own potential.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:50 am

Best looking? The last two times I've been there, the entire mall was lined with assorted "antiques" or assorted "crafts". It was pretty disorderly and looked quite ugly. I felt like I was at a flea market.

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pasqual's at Hilldale is open

Postby robbie webber » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:49 pm

Veeder wrote:
bassbari wrote:Finally a place in the area other than McDonald's that sells egg dishes for breakfast.

A breakfast place in that area would absolutely kill it. The Magic Mill site would be perfect.

I don't want to open a restaurant but would be very pleased if someone did.

A near-westside Marigold?

I actually begged the Marigold guys to open over here, before Firefly (now Tex Tubb's) opened and that space was empty.

I will renew my plea for someone to open a place for breakfast near my house. As I said before:
http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewt ... ast#301263
Now, if FF really wanted a smash hit in that location, they would offer breakfast. A second Monty's or Hubbard Street Dinner would be packed. We have no breakfast place over here since Sun Porch closed in the same location (not due to lack of business, BTW.) Maybe the TT could have breakfast options?

Anyone else want to open a cafe/dinner/breakfast & lunch joint? I have some ideas where you could put it. I'm serious, just ask my neighbors. They know it's an minor obsession for me.

Just in case anyone is thinking about it, here's the pitch to have a breakfast place near the intersection of University and Highland (or Univ and Univ Bay Dr)

1. As of now, there are no places that serve a full breakfast within 1 mile of those intersections except for the restaurant at the InnTowner, which is like eating at a Holiday Inn.(Sorry if the chef is reading.) At least none that serve all week. Tex Tubb's is supposed to be doing brunch on weekends. Coffee shops are great, but we need a place with pancakes, eggs & bacon, oatmeal, etc.

2. This area cries out for breakfast all week. The UW and VA Hospitals have staff with variable shifts. Many students, staff, and faculty from the UW also work non-standard hours. The bus stops at the two intersections about are MAJOR stops, so lots of foot traffic. Many stay-at-home or work-at-home people in the area. Many people who can afford to eat out, or who have too much else going on to cook. A neighborhood that likes to have neighborhood spots, and will patronize local businesses. Also, lots of people that would come for "breakfast meetings."

Please? Someone?

workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:02 am

Sundance 608 has a huge wonderful kitchen and dining room. They are open early anyway...maybe they can be interested if enough folks really would spend their cash there...

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:48 am

workboy7 wrote:Sundance 608 has a huge wonderful kitchen and dining room. They are open early anyway...maybe they can be interested if enough folks really would spend their cash there...

I was just there, last night. Only had a coffee, but thought I saw a Breakfast Sandwich menu.

equuspower
Forum Addict

Postby equuspower » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:02 pm

maybe they can be interested if enough folks really would spend their cash there...

Well, it requires too much cash for my wallet...

Ann R

Pasquals at Hilldale

Postby Ann R » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:44 pm

Love the new Hilldale, don't love Pasquals. I was at Hilldale last night and was really impressed. I can't figure out what people like about pasquals except the marguarita's that'll knock you on your a$$. Other than the unexpected buzz, it's only slightly better than Texas Tubbs, which has to be the worst restaurant in Madison, although I haven't been to all of them yet.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”