Ideas for our company holiday party?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:04 pm

steveo wrote:sometime Wonders Pub rents out the whole place for parties.

That's right.....we had a going away party for a friend awhile back and had a great time at Wonders.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:13 pm

Cafe Montmarte does private parties. So does Gennas. Both are centrally located and have a bartender and/or waitstaff just for you.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:27 pm

Call around to the downtown hotels to see if they have banquet rooms available. All of them (Hilton, Concourse, Edgewater, Inn on the Park, Doubletree) can accomodate a group of around 50-100 people, they all have food service and alcohol. And you can probably get a room discount for those who may want to party a little bit and not worry about driving home. But I'd be calling fast, the holidays are rapidly approaching and I'm willing to bet availablility of facilities are booking quickly.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:32 pm

Also are hotels, restuarants and bars the only businesses that hold their employee holiday party after the holidays? Every hospitality job I've ever worked always had their party in January or February, for obvious reasons, but just wondering if any other companies out there have taken advantage of the slower months to save a few bucks.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Ideas for our company holiday party?

Postby Lily » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Check out Quiveys Grove. A department chair I used to work for would treat all the staff there for Christmas. We had a big private room, awesome wine selection, and really, really good comfort food. He paid for this out of his own pocket, not on the University dime.

Good luck with your holiday planning.

Ryanwiz

Postby Ryanwiz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:08 am

I'd give the Essen House a try. But I wonder what the capacity of that extra room is....

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:44 pm

nah, Rabbit. A lot of companies have holiday parties in January because lots of people take vacations and have tons of family obligations during the month of December. It's usually easier and less hectic to have a company holiday party after the traditional holiday.

Almost every company I've ever worked for has had the party after the fact. One year, we had the party in the upstairs room at Jingles (Coliseum bar). It turned out really well, and it was decorated nicely.

The Esquire Club was a previous location as well. The food was great, and the downstairs room was fine. The prices were very reasonable. Very easy to work with.

white_rabbit wrote:Also are hotels, restuarants and bars the only businesses that hold their employee holiday party after the holidays? Every hospitality job I've ever worked always had their party in January or February, for obvious reasons, but just wondering if any other companies out there have taken advantage of the slower months to save a few bucks.

zinnia

Postby zinnia » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:31 pm

gargantua wrote:

That's right.....we had a going away party for a friend awhile back and had a great time at Wonders.

What kind of food do they have for groups? Do they have dinners plates or is it more burger and fries?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:39 pm

bassbari wrote:Madison's was catering a company party last night. Don't know how the food is but it looked nice.

NEVER EVER eat at madison's.
The food is as bad in direct ratio to the beauty of the building's location.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:11 pm

The Majestic is renting out space for private events-- either the main floor or the swank upstairs bar. There are photos and contact info on their website. It's pretty reasonably priced and you can bring in any catering you want.

steveo

Postby steveo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:46 pm

they are able to do just about anything. Dinner plates, most everything

zinnia wrote:
gargantua wrote:

What kind of food do they have for groups? Do they have dinners plates or is it more burger and fries?

zinnia

Picked a spot!

Postby zinnia » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I checked out many of them and ultimately we decided on Brocach on the square. They've got a great set up upstairs, reasonable prices and everyone I asked said the food is fantstic.

Great Dane Fitchburg and Crave we're also in the top three. Maybe next year...

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”