REAL CHILI REAL CLOSED

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

REAL CHILI REAL CLOSED

Postby blunt » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:09 pm

Welcome to the Real Word.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:26 pm

Did we have one here? I had no idea. I had it at bar time in Milwaukee a while back and loved the place.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:28 pm

yep looks like we did. Shows how long its been since I walked down State St.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:45 pm

Who was that Foron that went there about 18 times a week when it opened? She/he musta burned out, I think he/she was keeping it in business.

maybe now we can get a calzone place in there.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 pm

They should reopen as Himul Chili

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:48 pm

Funny, I'm actually writing this right now at one of the Real Chili locations in Milwaukee.

... jealous?

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:51 pm

Sheppy wrote:Funny, I'm actually writing this right now at one of the Real Chili locations in Milwaukee.

... jealous?

No. The place was mediocre at best. At least, the one here was.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:20 pm

meowzamusic wrote:They should reopen as Himul Chili

Let me guess - the chili's made with lentils and ground yak.

grumpus

Postby grumpus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:53 pm

Real Chili had great food (for what it was - burgers and chili) but for whatever reason they never seemed to be able to get it together.

The service was growing increasingly horrible. When you have, like, 6 people behind the counter and it takes you a half an hour to get an order ready - I dunno.

It's a shame it closed, though.

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:57 am

TAsunder wrote:
Sheppy wrote:Funny, I'm actually writing this right now at one of the Real Chili locations in Milwaukee.

... jealous?

No. The place was mediocre at best. At least, the one here was.

Come on man, you know you're jealous. You are so jealous you can hardly see straight. Right now I'm typing this on my laptop with a bowl of piping hot Real Chili, with all the fixin's. You know you're jealous. Right now I'm typing with my left hand as my right hand picks up a spoonful of this delightful brew. I'm placing the spoonful on my palate right now. Right .... now ..... ooooooooohhhhh yeah. I'm tasting the plump, ripe tomatoes, picked fresh this morning and mashed up, mixed with beans, the freshest chili peppers. All served over succulent, al dente pasta, mixed with smooth sour cream, melted cheese, and crisp oyster crackers. All of this is mixing up right now on my tender palate, the taste coursing through my nerve endings like a wildfire. It's HOT baby. YES! I can feel the heat, baby! Beads of sweat are forming right now on my brow. A little patch of sweat has appeared beneath my left ear. That's the pepper. The HOT PEPPER. But the heat is balanced so perfectly by the smooth, cool sour cream.

I am now taking a sip of ice cold water to wash off my palate to prepare it - and me - for the next spoonful. I have picked up a heaping spoonful of this glorious chili. This hearty, full-flavored chili, so perfect on a cold November day. Hits the spot. I have opened my mouth, and hoisted the heaping spoonful of steaming, succulent chili, steering this massive load toward my waiting palate. My saliva glands have kicked in right now, in anticipation, and my beads of sweat on the forehead and neck have started to evaporate. And now, I place the spoonful on my palate!!!! GOD DAMMIT THIS IS GOOD. The second bite is even better than the first! The taste! The heat! OOOOOOOO-WEEEEEEE! Taste that chili!

You are jealous!

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:10 pm

I have finished my delectible bowl of chili and now I rest. I am reclined right now on a bed of soft pillows. I am reclined right now with my laptop, typing this with my left hand whilst my right rests snug around your girlfriend. Yeah, that's right. I am enjoying the after-glow of fine, piping hot chili, retiring to an anteroom with your girlfriend. Jealous?

Your girlfriend is now giving me spoonfuls of soft, cool ice cream. Vanilla. Mmmmmmm. This ice cream really hits the spot after that bowl of steaming hot chili. My palate is still ablaze with the heat of the pepper. The ice cream hits my palate and melts instantly, soothing my raw palate with cool, creamy flavor. Yes, those are natural vanilla beans, no imitations. No artificial "vanilla" flavoring. Real, true vanilla flavor, mixed with rich cream and sugar.

Now I grow tired of the ice cream. I am closing my eyes slowly to nap. I will soon hit submit on this message and rest my head snug on a silken pillow, to digest the chili and ice cream. And I will dream wonderful dreams. When I awake, your girlfriend will be there to feed me fine fruits.

Jealous?
Jealous?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:35 pm

Sheppy wrote:Jealous?
Jealous?

Oh, hell no.

You're still Sheppy. I wouldn't wish that on Flanders.

ubiquity
Forum Addict

Postby ubiquity » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:36 pm

Sheppy wrote:
Jealous?
Jealous?

Actually, this is all just kind of creeping me out, at this point.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:40 pm

i heard that an employee walked out with several thousand dollars and took off. that's why they closed so abruptly.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:19 pm

square wrote:i heard that an employee walked out with several thousand dollars and took off. that's why they closed so abruptly.

Wow.
I can't believe they even made that much money total from all the time they've been here.
Poor place was always empty.
"Real" chili has spaghetti in it?
Not on my watch.
Guess it's a Lithuanian Amish tradition here in the Midwest?

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”