Nice restaurant in Door County?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Starley

Nice restaurant in Door County?

Postby Starley » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:47 am

We're headed to Door County next weekend for our anniversary and looking for a nice place for dinner. Italian is a favorite.

Thanks!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:04 am

Upper or lower Door? Although their menu hasn't changed in many years, Trio in Fish Creek has some nice Italian fare.

There are many fine restaurants in the Door that aren't Italian. I recommend T. Ashwell's in Ellison Bay and Alexander's in Fish Creek.

You might also want to check this dining guide. http://www.doorcountydining.com/

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:08 am

It's not Italian, but do go to Al Johnson's if you're in Sister Bay - and steer clear of the Mission Grille as it is overpriced and overhyped (the "grille" should have tipped me off).

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:16 am

The White Gull Inn has always provided a pleasant experience. Maybe a little bit pricey, but great ambience. Not Italian - more regional americana cuisine, but a romantic dinner spot.

sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:54 am

Gotta give a plug for The Inn at Kristofer's in Sister Bay http://www.innatkristofers.com/menu.asp (Right down the road from Al Johnson's, but much, much nicer and less insane).

Also, The Sister Bay Cafe (Right across from Al Johnson's, with much, much better food--great cardamom waffles at breakfast).

I second The White Gull Inn's candlelight dinners/breakfasts and Trio, too!

If you're staying closer to the Sturgeon Bay area, you must visit Cafe Launch! http://www.cafelaunch.com

Was up there recently and must note one interesting trend ... Many restaurants in the county advertise the fact that their fish is so fresh, it's flown in daily (Went to Mission Grille where they note on their menu how it's "FedExed" in everyday). I had Tasmanian salmon at the place in Baileys Harbor that used to be the much missed Common House--it apparently came direct from Tasmania without ever being frozen. It was magically delicious. Crazy!

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:20 am

I vote for Trio.

P.S. It's in Egg Harbor, not Fish Creek.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:52 am

Fred & Fuzzy's! I love that place.

Though that place is only for when it's nice out.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:03 am

I'm going up tomorrow to close our cottage. No real heat = a cold couple days.

The Common House in Bailey's Harbor is expensive, but yummy.

Trio is pretty fancy. FIB central. Food is good.

Stay away from Shipwrecked. Also avoid Husby's in Sister Bay as it's pretty Sysco-y.

Not a bad time of year for the Coyote Roadhouse near Kangaroo Lake. The summer flies that dominate the place during warm monthes should be gone. The food is great (if you can stop thinking about the flies).

Try The Cookery in Fish Creek. Great food.

The Greenwood in the middle of the county is a nice supper club.

Sweet Lou's in Jacksonport is usually wonderful. On our honeymoon we were the only customers in there one night and they treated us like royalty. The food that night was prepared with tremendous care. That restaurant has a lot of history and lots of former monikers: The Ivanhoe, Door to China, Tundra House, etc. If you go in ask about the knife slash on the old bar.

Mike's Port Pub for greasy lunch goodness.

The Good Egg in Ephraim is one of the better breakfasts you'll ever have.
Last edited by supaunknown on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

utopia

Re: Nice restaurant in Door County?

Postby utopia » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:04 am

Starley wrote:We're headed to Door County next weekend for our anniversary and looking for a nice place for dinner. Italian is a favorite.

Thanks!

T. Ashwell's (Ellison Bay) is phenomenal.

sjbarlament

Postby sjbarlament » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:07 am

The Greenwood (corner of County Highways A & F) has the best Friday night fish fry in Door County, too, for whatever that's worth to you.

And if you're looking for breakfast while you're up there, I'd definitely recommend you try the crab omelet at the Village Cafe (in Egg Harbor, just north of Trio).

For simpler morning fare -- read: breakfast burritos, essentially, served in a very casual setting (the tables are made from old surfboards) -- hit up Good Eggs on the south end of Ephraim (open mornings only).

The best coffee on the peninsula is to be had at Leroy's Water Street Coffee in Ephraim.

And if you're looking for a true Door County dining experience, head to J.J.'s in Sister Bay. Order the Rambo Burger with onion rings.

sjbarlament

Postby sjbarlament » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 am

I see now that supaunknown beat me to a few of these. Oh, well... Consider those particular recommendations seconded.

A little more on Good Eggs in particular can be found right here.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:25 am

sjbarlament wrote:And if you're looking for breakfast while you're up there, I'd definitely recommend you try the crab omelet at the Village Cafe (in Egg Harbor, just north of Trio).

Sounds yummy. I've never been there and will make it a point to try it.

sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 am

supaunknown wrote:The Common House in Bailey's Harbor is expensive, but yummy.

And no longer in business. :cry:

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:11 am

My Dad & I went up this past weekend to close our cottage. It's divided into two separate sections - one has heat and the other dun't. Dad, old man that he is, keeps his section cranked up to about 95 degrees. I slept on the older no-heat side where I could see my breath in the air. Next year we've gotta close it up earlier. I froze.

Good breakfast: Square Rigger in Jacksonport

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:46 am

Another good breakfast place - Summer Kitchen, where Ephraim meets Sister Bay. Because of it's name, I'm not sure it's open during the off season.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”