Favorite chili recipes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Favorite chili recipes

Postby Cartman69 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Emphases on spicy but tasty and not dissolve your tongue and upper and lower GI tract.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:02 pm

CASI World Championship recipes. The effect depends on how tough your insides are - http://www.chili.org/recipes.html

naybobber

Postby naybobber » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:20 pm

Get the Cook's Illustrated Cookbook "The Newest Best Recipe" Every serious cook should have it. The Chili con Carne is awesome as are most of the recipes. With every recipe is an article explaining the food science behind it, so if you love to cook it's a fun read.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:32 am

I have two recipes I like. One is "texas" style, meaning meat and spices, no tomatoes, onions, or beans. It also works well with bison meat. Basically you brown the meat, drain it (not necessary with bison meat), add in a few cups of water, several tablespoons of chili powder, some paprika, ground cumin, 12 cloves of garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and cloves.

I also have a recipe for turkey chili with northern beans that can be found on the bon appetit site. The secret ingredient is coacoa powder!

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:34 am

Yep, in our latest chili cookoff most of the serious contenders had cocoa powder.

I have to say that the one I liked the best had lamb and black beans. Very, very tasty, and I'm not even much of a meat fan.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”