Osteria di Lucca

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
radtek

Osteria di Lucca

Postby radtek » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:16 pm

New place on Stoughton Rd. It's in the building that Pacifico's used to be in.

Anybody know anything about it?

radtek

Found out!

Postby radtek » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:28 pm

Stopped by the other day. The manager said it is owned by the family who owns Tutto Pasta downtown. Ricardo Vera is the manager. He said everything is fresh from their garden. They will have pizza, pasta, seafood, veal, chicken, etc. I can't wait for it to open. I hope it's good. We need a good Italian place on the east side.

@wood
Forum Addict

Postby @wood » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:26 pm

If it's a Tutto joint, good a relative term. Quite frankly I don't really like anything I've eaten at a Tutto joint. I ask: good compared to what? Paisan's, with it's thick red sauced lasagna much maligned by purists but loved by the masses? Osteria Papavero, which clearly the new place seeks to steal half of the name with none of the context (okay, osteria is not original, but who in the midwest knows that)? Rossario's, where you and ten of your friends can eat pasta from a board until you explode? Let us know how "good" it is, and more importantly the critique, with some comparisons that might help us understand whether we would even want to go there.

radtek

Postby radtek » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:34 am

I have not tried Rossario's, or Osterio Papavera. I have not eaten at Tutto or Paisan's in a few years. Last time I did try Tutto, I considered where I was, and thought it was decent. The closest "Italian" restaurant to my home is the Olive Garden. In my opinion, there is no Italian place in Madison that compares to the many Italian places I have been in Chicago. I know this one won't compare either, but I'll go in with an open mind.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Found out!

Postby Paco » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:48 pm

radtek wrote: Ricardo Vera is the manager. He said everything is fresh from their garden.

So will this be true in the middle of January?

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:45 pm

When you say the tutto downtown do you mean the one on state or the one on king?

radtek

Postby radtek » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:50 pm

I assumed both Tutto's downtown and the one in Middleton were owned by the same people.

If your asking which one I've eaten at, I've tried both of the downtown restaurants. It has been a couple years, but I thought they were very similar.

And the fresh from their garden question? I wondered the same thing after I left. I did not think to ask at the time. Maybe they host a big canning party before winter. (bad joke)

radtek

It's open!

Postby radtek » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:45 pm

The interior is clean and new. They have a few murals and ethnic music playing just a bit too loud. We were seated right away and shortly after bread and olive tapenade arrived. No butter, no olive oil. I think they are working on that. Our server said they just opened the night before. I'm not a wine drinker, but they did have a long list of wines to choose from. I had Fusilli con Mozzarella. Fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic, and plenty of cheese. My date had the Pasta di Lucca. It had chicken, mushrooms, onions, garlic in a creamy sauce. Both dishes were really good! We tried the tiramisu without disappointment. They do drizzle chocolate sauce over the top, and I hate that. It is not the best tiramisu in town, but decent, and I would have it again. They have a nice menu with chicken, meat, and fish/seafood dishes in addition to pizza and pasta. The service was fast and pretty good. I think our guy was new to the serving "industry" and was very eager. We were checked on multiple times by our server and what appeared to be the managers. All in all it was a good first experience and I look forward to going again. I know you want me to compare it to someplace. That's hard for me to do. It's better than the Olive Garden. The food seems fresher than Cafe Bella Italia. The atmosphere is definitely better than CBI. From reading about La Rocca's, I think Osteria di Lucca may please the nay sayer's about that place.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”