Fromagination...cheese on the square

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:10 pm

skrattypants wrote:
btw, ain't NO cheese shop anywhere, boutique or otherwise, going to be carrying bucheron for under $12.99/#, and that's if you're extremely fortunate.


un-uh...I bought a package of 12 individually wrapped "sure-fine" cheesy things at Cap-Center for $2.29. And it weighed pretty close to a pound.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell.

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:35 pm

La Quercia? Did I hear La Quercia? I'm there. Tomorrow.

In 2008 they are bringing to market prosciutto from pigs that are fed a strict diet of acorns. The Italians don't even do that any more.

And from Iowa!


La Quercia prosciutto is a superb product. Skratty was correct, it rivals (and in my opinion0 supersedes anything from Parma. And usualy, it's around $15.95lb.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison
Contact:

Postby TAsunder » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:53 am

I stopped by there last night after work. I love this place. Their cheeses are definitely top notch. Since they are only selling wisconsin cheeses at the moment, it's hard to get a sense of how much variety they will have, but what they do carry is delicious. I have faith they'll keep a good variety.

They carry an assortment of other goods that all seem very top quality. I got three types of cheeses, some homemade crackers (allegedly, the crackers were made specifically for the pleasant ridge swiss I got), some olives, and some wonderful salami. Definitely the best salami I've had. The cheese was wrapped in paper carefully.

I also saw high grade honey, including flavored honeys like lavender honey, various mixed nuts, jams, pickles, pestos, pasta, and lots of books. One person purchased a caramelized pear with chevre and walnuts on top that looked delicious. The lady in front of me spent about $90 on a dozen or so items, none of which were cheese.

They sell a lot of cheese you can probably get at the market, such as bandaged cheddar from bleu mont or various capri cheeses. But it's not a huge price difference.

They also sell baked goods from cafe soleil, and perhaps not coincidentally, the manager from soleil was there buying a decent chunk of goods to eat that evening as well.

They seem to have a wine tasting service too perhaps. I saw a lady with glasses of wine.

The service is superb. They let me taste any cheese I wanted to, offered suggestions on what went with what, and so forth.

It was a bit slow, despite having 3 workers, because it was busy, and there were still some kinks with the computer and card machine. The clients did seem to be more towards the foodie side, but I saw a couple of students stop by and pick some items up.

Really great store. And surprisingly good hours... they were open until at least 7pm yesterday, and are open on saturdays.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3389
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 am

TAsunder wrote:I And surprisingly good hours... they were open until at least 7pm yesterday, and are open on saturdays.

Sarcasm?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8509
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:28 am

TAsunder wrote:
I also saw high grade honey, including flavored honeys like lavender honey

Lavender-flavored, or lavender-flower?

evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu May 01, 2003 2:37 pm
Location: Where the deer and the antelope play
Contact:

Postby evansvillehousewife » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:53 am

Hit Decatur Dairy, 5 miles out of Brodhead, on Hwy 11.

Fridays they make their world champion Munster curds. If you get there after 11 Am they are just putting the warm salty fresh curds in the cooler, and you can eat them warm.

Either put them in the trunk, or buy one bag to take home and one to eat on the way home.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison
Contact:

Postby TAsunder » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:00 pm

fennel wrote:
TAsunder wrote:I And surprisingly good hours... they were open until at least 7pm yesterday, and are open on saturdays.

Sarcasm?


No... many of the shops around state inexplicably close around 5pm. For example, capitol kids closes at 5:30pm.

PeterSteinberg
Senior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Madison

Postby PeterSteinberg » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:05 pm

skrattypants wrote:btw, ain't NO cheese shop anywhere, boutique or otherwise, going to be carrying bucheron for under $12.99/#, and that's if you're extremely fortunate.


Some cheese shops in New York have it for under $12.99 / lb:
Murray's $11.99 (http://tinyurl.com/2vzwpl)
Fresh Direct $10.49 http://tinyurl.com/3agtlz

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3389
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:52 pm

PeterSteinberg wrote:
skrattypants wrote:btw, ain't NO cheese shop anywhere, boutique or otherwise, going to be carrying bucheron for under $12.99/#, and that's if you're extremely fortunate.


Some cheese shops in New York have it for under $12.99 / lb:
Murray's $11.99 (http://tinyurl.com/2vzwpl)
Fresh Direct $10.49 http://tinyurl.com/3agtlz

Yeah, I saw it in the Detroit area for $9.99, but that was an exceptionally good store. Hmmm, stinky cheese!

BTW, it was noted that 'gination's price was not that much different from Farmers' Market price. But was it higher or lower?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21181
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:00 pm

As long as we are talking about the prices of top quality stinky cheese, does anyone know if the $11.99 a pound that I pay for Roquefort Société at TJ's can be beat anywhere locally?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3389
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:47 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:As long as we are talking about the prices of top quality stinky cheese, does anyone know if the $11.99 a pound that I pay for Roquefort Société at TJ's can be beat anywhere locally?

That sounds pretty good. I haven't bought Roquefort there, but with other cheeses, it seemed the quality was marginal. Mainly chèvre, now that I think of it.

If you want the ultimate experience in mercenary pricing masquerading as "good service" with a corporate happy-grimace, try Zingerman's in Ann Arbor:
"Societé, you ask? ... Well, I suppose we have some in a bin beneath the stairwell, but why buy that when you can have bleh for $29 per pound?"

I suppose Societé is a high-production cheese these days, but still ...

Wino
Forum Addict
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:44 am

Postby Wino » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:18 pm

So...Fennel...what cheeses do you like and where do you get them?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3389
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Postby fennel » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:21 pm

Wino wrote:So...Fennel...what cheeses do you like and where do you get them?

Apart from the Farmer's Market and the Willy St Coop, I haven't found that much. I've yet to try Brennan's. So, beats me. Where do you buy wine? I just had the Wisconsin Three Tier distribution system explained to me, as a reason why wine costs so much more in Wisconsin.

I could live a long time on Wisconsin's artisinal cheeses alone, but I've yet to see any local soft ripe cheeses like Camembert, Banon, Taleggio, or Robiola.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8509
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:37 pm

fennel wrote:
Wino wrote:So...Fennel...what cheeses do you like and where do you get them?

Apart from the Farmer's Market and the Willy St Coop, I haven't found that much. I've yet to try Brennan's. So, beats me. Where do you buy wine? I just had the Wisconsin Three Tier distribution system explained to me, as a reason why wine costs so much more in Wisconsin.

I could live a long time on Wisconsin's artisinal cheeses alone, but I've yet to see any local soft ripe cheeses like Camembert, Banon, Taleggio, or Robiola.


Ahem...

fennel wrote:Sorry, but that's pure snobbery.


If you want to live in California or Italy or France, then live there. If not, learn to revel in what's around you. Roth Butterkase for one and all!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3389
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:19 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
fennel wrote:
Wino wrote:So...Fennel...what cheeses do you like and where do you get them?

Apart from the Farmer's Market and the Willy St Coop, I haven't found that much. I've yet to try Brennan's. So, beats me. Where do you buy wine? I just had the Wisconsin Three Tier distribution system explained to me, as a reason why wine costs so much more in Wisconsin.

I could live a long time on Wisconsin's artisinal cheeses alone, but I've yet to see any local soft ripe cheeses like Camembert, Banon, Taleggio, or Robiola.


Ahem...

fennel wrote:Sorry, but that's pure snobbery.


If you want to live in California or Italy or France, then live there. If not, learn to revel in what's around you. Roth Butterkase for one and all!

I never said it needs to be over-priced to be good. It just needs to be good. Good cheese-making in Wisconsin is a relatively new (stunning) phenomenon. Ripe cheeses will come, surely, but they may have to wait for U.S. regulations to catch up to the science that explains how very unscientific processes can be safe. We can only thank our stars that the emerging artisinal makers here did not sit back on their haunches and learn to revel in what was around them.

No, they went abroad to taste and to ask questions. Upwards and onwards.


Return to “Cooking & Food issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests