Fromagination...cheese on the square

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Fromagination...cheese on the square

Postby dstol62 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 pm

I recently looked in on this new store (they opened Friday)located next to Badger Office Supplies. It looks nice, and they have a decent, if limited selection of high-end cheese, and pricey small sandwiches. The big question is whether the the place will draw the condo dwellers downtown, as that who I am guessing they are targeting.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Gonna use my...my...my...fromagination...

Postby Marvell » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:31 pm

dstol62 wrote:The big question is whether the the place will draw the condo dwellers downtown, as that who I am guessing they are targeting.

Either that or fans of The Pretenders.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fromagination...cheese on the square

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:18 pm

dstol62 wrote:I recently looked in on this new store (they opened Friday)located next to Badger Office Supplies. It looks nice, and they have a decent, if limited selection of high-end cheese, and pricey small sandwiches. The big question is whether the the place will draw the condo dwellers downtown, as that who I am guessing they are targeting.

I've been jonesing for a good cheese place for some time, but with a Liberace-meets-Chuck E. Cheese name like Fromagination, I don't have great hopes for this place. I hope I'm wrong, but this just strikes me as a hobby business. I'm looking for a seller who is really about the cheese, not the price of the cheese.

But if fromagination, or ungulations, or lacatations can offer up a nice ripe bûcheron for under $10 a pound, I'm there.

Gnome sayin'?

bikinchef

Postby bikinchef » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:21 pm

They could not survive on condo dwellers, look at Jacobson Bros., gone...
It is my understanding that many of the condo dwellers are part time inhabitants, lobbyists and such.
This is a destination place, farmers market place, for tourists, you know.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:13 pm

bikinchef wrote:They could not survive on condo dwellers, look at Jacobson Bros., gone...
It is my understanding that many of the condo dwellers are part time inhabitants, lobbyists and such.
This is a destination place, farmers market place, for tourists, you know.

I doubt that. The tourist cheese place is the one on state street that has cheesehead hats and sells pretty junky cheese. Madison is in need of a cheese shop that sells high quality cheeses. Right now the only store that qualifies would be whole foods, and that is rather pathetic. There is no need for a cheese shop for farmer's market goers since there are about 10 cheese stands, including bleu mont, at the market.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:35 pm

TAsunder wrote: Madison is in need of a cheese shop that sells high quality cheeses. Right now the only store that qualifies would be whole foods, and that is rather pathetic.

Have you tried Brennan's?

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:49 pm

I used to go to a Deli/Coffee shop on Monroe st that had really good Stiltons-can't remember the name.

I don't go out of my way to shop at Trader Joes-but the selection looks fine there too.

Usually for my purposes the Willy st Coop and Jenifer st have plenty to offer...'Tho I'm sure the hard to please set will bitch and moan aplenty.

If you can live with being a tourist in your own back yard "Cheesers" in Stoughton has some wonderful varieties from all over the world.

skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:56 pm

i'm guessing that if your needs require cheese under $10/#, you're better off at jenny street market.

i recently had the opportunity to tour facilities and meet with some of monroe's cheesemakers including bruce workman of edelweiss and myron olson, the last limburger-maker in the country, and a Master Cheesemaker at that. a lot goes into non-commodity-produced small-batch quality cheeses. it'll be interesting to see if the madison-area foodie will be willing to put their money where their mouth is. we whine about corporate farms and commodity producers, but when time comes to ante up, we certainly find reason to skirt those core beliefs.

i've sampled many of fromagination's offerings. right now, they're just selling wisconsin artisinal, farmstead, and specialty cheeses; international cheeses will come in a few weeks. i'm not annoyed by paying larger scratch for these cheeses; from what i can see, they're pretty much cut to order, not lying there sweating all day in saran wrap. and this is where you'll find some of those farmers' market cheeses once the market closes. i figure i'm getting high-quality delicious cheese AND supporting my neighbors--cheese equivalent of girl scout cookies.

just as interesting to me are the cured meats. they're carrying la quercia meats out of iowa--prosciuttos and such made from berkshire pork. these rival any san daniele i've had.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:39 pm

bikinchef wrote:They could not survive on condo dwellers, look at Jacobson Bros., gone...

Jacobson Bros is gone because it wasn't very good.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:12 pm

Cedar Grove for $4 - $5/lb (At Woodies) is the best around here I've had.
I give it as gifts.

bikinchef

Postby bikinchef » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:18 pm

Ask any business owners around the Square, the condo dwellers on not making much of an impression on their business, period. It is going to be interesting to see how a cut-to-order-cheese-house is going to survive on the Square, no parking, no other food shopping. People who shop at Whole Foods to buy their cheese, aren't going to migrate quickly. I wish him the best of luck, I love the place.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:21 pm

I noticed the place Kimia, used to be, is going to be a fancy pastry-coffee place.

I guess, when the highrise dwellers, want to see and be seen, they'll go there and to the Overture.

Is that pretty much the way Pearl St., in Boulder is?

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:30 pm

I've checked out their website and I think they can make it if they can successfully market themselves to individuals and corporations to use them as a "gift basket" company. Ever since Moze's on Monroe closed I've been hard pressed to find a local store that I can go to and get an awesome gift basket for any occasion.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:10 pm

skrattypants wrote:i'm guessing that if your needs require cheese under $10/#, you're better off at jenny street market.

Sorry, but that's pure snobbery. Real cheese naturally costs more to make than industrial cheese. So does good wine. But there is a tendency in the retail industry to "boutique-ify" well made products and inflate their price well beyond the difference in production costs. I'm more than willing to pay more for better food. I just have no interest in paying for it's aura.

skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:04 pm

i'm not talking snobbery. i'm talking about real cheesemakers who need to make a living above and outside of the farmers market, and the shopfronts that are willing to risk carrying cheeses that cost more.

i did not imply that jenny street market cheese is sub-standard. vern's is a fine inexpensive cheese; i've bought tons and will continue doing so. cedar grove is also very good.

btw, ain't NO cheese shop anywhere, boutique or otherwise, going to be carrying bucheron for under $12.99/#, and that's if you're extremely fortunate.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”