Where do you by sushi grade fish?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
waylan
Forum God/Goddess

Where do you by sushi grade fish?

Postby waylan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:36 pm

The wife and I got a sushi making kit for a wedding gift, and I'm ready to get things rolling. (get it?)

Where's a guy go to get good, fresh fish?

mmmdelish

Postby mmmdelish » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:07 pm

Willy Street Co-op! Willy Street Co-op! Their fresh fish is AMAZING, especially the salmon and the tuna. Every time I've gone there, they've been incredibly helpful, and have gotten fantastic fish and seafood. Hope you have as much luck there as I have!

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:19 pm

mmmdelish wrote:Willy Street Co-op! Willy Street Co-op! Their fresh fish is AMAZING, especially the salmon and the tuna. Every time I've gone there, they've been incredibly helpful, and have gotten fantastic fish and seafood. Hope you have as much luck there as I have!

mmmdelishOnline
Total posts: 1

You register a year aqo and make your first post as an oddly enthusiastic post for raw fish?

...creepy...

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Where do you by sushi grade fish?

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:13 pm

waylan wrote:The wife and I got a sushi making kit for a wedding gift, and I'm ready to get things rolling. (get it?)

That depends. What exactly do you plan to DO by these fresh fish?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:23 pm

Beer Moon wrote:
waylan wrote:The wife and I got a sushi making kit for a wedding gift, and I'm ready to get things rolling. (get it?)

I think--and I'm just spitballing here--I think that they plan to make sushi rolls.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:45 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Beer Moon wrote:

I think--and I'm just spitballing here--I think that they plan to make sushi rolls.

Hey now, don't count your eggs before they're all in one basket.

sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby sydgrl » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:03 am

The best place we have found is the Oriental Shop at 1029 S. Park. They have a great selection and a variety of sushi making and Japanese food supplies. The owner is very friendly and I've learned a lot from her. I believe that she gets fresh fish every other Saturday. We've also bought frozen from her and it's been damn good.

The Willy Street Coop's fish is actually from the Seafood Center. Their sushi grade tuna is OK in a pinch. You can buy it from their fish counter at the Coop or one of their other locations.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Yeah, alternate saturdays, and if you need something special she can order it in advance.

They also get non-raw-fish-but-hard-to-find japanese perishables like real grated wasabi (frozen, but miles better than the green paste-in-a-tube or god help me the tinned powder) various roes, lobster salad, seaweed salads, non-sushi-able parts of octopus (meat from the head makes a great salad) and so forth.

The owner and her husband are also just the nicest people ever.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:15 pm

So would that be this coming saturday (22nd) or the one after it (29th)? I can never keep it straight when I'm doing theoretical planning.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:18 pm

Chances are, what is marketed as fresh has already been frozen. If I'm not mistaken, the FDA stipulates that, besides tuna, all fish to be consumed raw must be frozen first to kill parasites.

sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby sydgrl » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:36 pm

TAsunder wrote:So would that be this coming saturday (22nd) or the one after it (29th)? I can never keep it straight when I'm doing theoretical planning.

That would be this Saturday, the 22nd. The way I keep track is that it's the opposite week of recycling pick up.

sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby sydgrl » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:42 pm

O.J. wrote:

Chances are, what is marketed as fresh has already been frozen. If I'm not mistaken, the FDA stipulates that, besides tuna, all fish to be consumed raw must be frozen first to kill parasites.

Technically, that is correct, but the FDA doesn't monitor down to the restaurant level
because some of the top sushi restaurants serve fresh fish. Most sushi chefs will tell you that flash frozen (60 or 70 degrees below zero, as I recall) fish is hardly distinguishable from fresh. In regards to the Oriental Shop, I would guess that most of it has been frozen. I bet NullDevice would know for sure. :)

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:00 pm

I can't find a regulation on fish meant for raw consumption, just recommendations to freeze to kill off potential wormy parasites.

Syd, thanks for the info, although the recycling trick didn't help me since I use a giant bin behind my building that seems to magically get emptied multiple times per week.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:16 pm

My bad. I thought it was an FDA regulation, but it's just a recommendation.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/haccp4e.html

sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby sydgrl » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:46 pm

TAsunder wrote:I can't find a regulation on fish meant for raw consumption, just recommendations to freeze to kill off potential wormy parasites.

Syd, thanks for the info, although the recycling trick didn't help me since I use a giant bin behind my building that seems to magically get emptied multiple times per week.

Do you get paid every other week, you could tie it to your payday. Heh.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”