Trader Joe's

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Trader Joe's

Postby Ducatista » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:47 am

david cohen wrote:My experience is that for $75, I get one bag of stuff at Whole Foods....but I get 3 bags at Trader Joes. YMMV.

Yup, that. Their produce is a lot cheaper than WF or Metcalfe's, and often as good or better. I go to TJ's for produce, nuts, orchids, and a few staples like coconut oil and their amazing orange blossom honey hand soap.

But I have strong brand loyalty with things like canned tomatoes and beans, dairy, paper products, etc., so I usually can't do a full trip there. Oh, and meat, Metcalfe's all the way. Love those butchers.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:10 am

Ducatista wrote:Oh, and meat, Metcalfe's all the way. Love those butchers.

I love those butchers too. I have some issues with the fishmongers, however -- not the seafood itself, mind you, which is generally great -- namely: no, 9 ounces is not really "close enough" to 7 ounces and if I ask for two fillets, they should both be the same, not one very thick one from the middle and one super-long end piece from a different fish entirely. I have the same problems at WF. Fishmongering is clearly a lost art.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Ducatista wrote:Their produce is a lot cheaper than WF or Metcalfe's, and often as good or better. I go to TJ's for produce ...
Really? To me, their produce looks like it was grown on a space station, then sealed and shipped to earth on a slow shuttle. Apart from a few key limes, I've never dared buy much.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:06 pm

fennel wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Their produce is a lot cheaper than WF or Metcalfe's, and often as good or better. I go to TJ's for produce ...
Really? To me, their produce looks like it was grown on a space station, then sealed and shipped to earth on a slow shuttle. Apart from a few key limes, I've never dared buy much.

Often, not always. And yeah, the packaging is insane. But I've had good luck with: lemons, limes, oranges, berries (sometimes), peppers, brussels sprouts, bagged greens, scallions, herbs, cherry & grape tomatoes, haricots verts, broccolini, shallots, onions... and impulse buys of unfamiliar items like Kumato tomatoes. And their seasonal stuff, like little packages of pattypans or trays of diced butternut squash, is generally cheap and convenient.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:48 am

Trader Joe's is awesome. That and a Costco run and I'm set.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:15 pm

fennel wrote:
Madsci wrote:Damn, I have never been to a Trader Joe's. Seems like I am missing out on something. I just don't know what yet.
It's similar to the Food Hole in many regards — and I think the two consider themselves as primary competitors.

But TJ's seems to focus on certain desirable staples at better prices, along with idiosyncratic snacky schmutz, whereas WF aspires to be the coöp with a better location and similar prices.

TJ's can be hit and miss. You just have to be strategic. We bought their canned tomatoes a few times, for example. They had the consistency of fibroid tumors. So it just depends...

But give us your assessment if you're up for it, by all means. Shopping at TJ's is a kind of odyssey. I, for one, would like to hear a farmer's take.

I was trying a bit of satire ( fail ). If on Thanksgiving day if my hosts need something from a local grocer, I will attempt to shop at TJ but it may not be open.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm

I think it's only closed on Xmas.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:00 pm

They must treat their employees well.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:36 am

I spent an extended period of time in Manhattan not too long ago.
I avoided TJ in Manhattan, and went to Whole Foods instead.

Reasons?

1. WF was closer to my home. I walked. Long walk either way, but longer to TJ.

2, and this is the biggie. Lines in TJ in NYC are unreal. TJ is very popular, and a lot of people are willing to wait in insane lines to check out. WF was much shorter. WF lines in Manhattan, even the express lines, are still much longer than most stores in Madison. But TJ is completely insane in Manhattan. Lots of people refuse to go there just because of the lines. If they had twice as many checkout counters, they could still keep them full.

So, be thankful you live in Madison where you can run in and out of TJ quickly.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”