Is Fyfe's going out of business?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
princessmidwest
Forum Addict

Postby princessmidwest » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:39 am

Hi All - My fiance is going there at 11 today to check it out. We have our wedding reception scheduled for Dec. 22. We haven't gotten a call from them yet to cancel, but better safe than sorry...I'll let you know what transpires.

If anyone has any other info that can help us, please send it to me at princessmidwest {atthingy} yahoo.com.

And worst case scenario, any recs other than Kennedy Manor for an 75-80 person reception?

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:58 am

Restaurant Magnus...

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:58 am

princessmidwest wrote:And worst case scenario, any recs other than Kennedy Manor for an 75-80 person reception?

My wife & I got hitched last September here. It was reasonably priced and met our needs. Great views. ESBMA has an exclusive catering arrangement with Gaylord Catering. They were easy to work with and their food was good.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:06 am

Previous threads to this effect have spoken reasonably well of the Masonic temple. And happy anniversary, supa.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:19 am

I hope they're not going out of business, but if they are, I hope they post their last day so I can be sure to get one or two last meals in.

Fyfe's has always been good in my opinion (if anything, a little meat-centered) and I'll miss them if they're gone.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:08 pm

Possibly another victim of the franchise frenzy? I've heard of other local restaurants suffering when new, deep pocket franchise restaurants open. Also know of a wholesale bakery owner in northern MN whose business has declined despite the opening of many new restaurants in his area. All have formulas for their products that the smaller, local suppliers can't economically provide.

Another reason to support your local restaurants. Yes, I know most franchises are owned by local business people but they don't do much to support local producers or suppliers.

2xBassist
Forum Addict

Postby 2xBassist » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:55 pm

Being the wedding gig whore that I am...

for a small reception, I think Forrestals in Middleton is a nice place. Nice folks, and I think Queen Anne does their catering.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:14 pm

dstol62 wrote:Restaurant Magnus...

I'll second that. A former co-worker had Magnus for her reception and it was tremendous. Though, I'm guessing you'll have to dig deep to book that place.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:56 am

Just heard it on Lee Rayburn's show.

Fyfe's will close within the next two months. The owner lists the reasons as three years of construction on the Avenue, more local restaraunts, and the smoking ban.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:00 am

Fyfe's Corner Bistro closing

Fyfe 's Corner Bistro, 1344 E. Washington Ave., will close its doors in the next two months, co-owner Susan Breitbach said Wednesday.

Three years of road construction on East Washington Avenue combined with the city 's smoking ban and a growing number of restaurants in the city all played roles in the 75-seat restaurant 's demise, said Breitbach, who opened the business with Keith Blew in the summer of 1993.

"We tried to hang in there the last three years of road construction but at a certain point the overhead overwhelms the revenue, " Breitbach said. "The banquet room has recovered from the road construction but the dining room and bar area had not. "

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:04 pm

Blaming the smoking ban is stupid. Everyone knows that the smoking ban has increased, not decreased, the number of people who go out to eat and drink every night.

Blaming the construction is silly. How many other businesses have closed along that road?

This owner sounds just like Wiggie, blaming everybody else for their own lack of business sense.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:38 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Blaming the smoking ban is stupid. Everyone knows that the smoking ban has increased, not decreased, the number of people who go out to eat and drink every night.

Fyfe's spent a ton of money to invest in a ventalation system after round one of the smoking ban prior to full prohibition. It takes years to recoup that government mandate. Perhaps the compound effect of spending lots of money to accommodate smokers and then a couple of years losing those customers contributed.

Blaming the construction is silly. How many other businesses have closed along that road?

How many other fine dining restaurants are in that section of East Wash? I made a couple of attempts to patronize them during the height of the contruction around their business. During a few phases of construction it was close to impossible to reach them.

This owner sounds just like Wiggie, blaming everybody else for their own lack of business sense.

You are freaking insane. Fyfe's for about 14 years has had a stellar reputation in Madison. And this is a tough market for a restaurant to have any meaningful longevity without the deep pockets of a corporate chain to help keep you afloat.

It's a sad loss. A lot of people have warm memories of that place. I personally had some of my most memorable dates at Fyfe's. I made some dear friends working there. And I remember the excitement and joy being at victory parties for Tammy Baldwin and Shirley Abrahamson upstairs.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:14 pm

I had a really cool experience at Fyfe's. Every x-mas, I give my parents a meal at a Madison joint they have never been to. Last year it was Fyfe's. We made the reservation for the Juanton family. One of the owners came up to our table to tell us that she grew up with the same surname as Juanton, yet she was adopted. I think she said she was from middle Iowa, the same Iowa my mexican grandfather met my german grandmother.

We had amazing service, like 5 different servers. The owner asked us about our Juanton surname heritage and we were amazed. Way cool, and good food.
Last edited by juanton on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:30 am

Peanutbutter wrote:Blaming the construction is silly.

Dude, that is simply an uninformed and misguided statement. Fyfe's has been at the tail end of two different phases of the East Wash re-build for over three years if you don't think that has an impact on the ability to run an establishment at that location you shouldn't even bother posting...

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:25 pm

P-but wroteBlaming the construction is silly. How many other businesses have closed along that road?

So far I've noticed Warehouse liquors, several gas stations, a cell phone store and don't get me started on the Union Corners fiasco...

I've taken to refering to it as the "East Washington Stupification Project"

Fyfes was a Classy, Mature kind of place that was refreshingly devoid of gimmicks-A regular guy a work with was particularly impressed that they took care of him and served up a wedge of iceberg-supper club style! instead of a plate of scratchy, exotic lettuce leaves.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”