A gang of host/esses!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

A gang of host/esses!

Postby jjoyce » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:26 pm

In reading the Paisan's thread, it occurred to me that a trend in restaurateuring that annoys is having like four or five people working the hostess stand. This doesn't lead to more efficiency as much as it leads to little side conversations and other situations that detract from customer service.

And how much money can these kids make?

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:42 pm

I agree that a gaggle is too many, but having two can be helpful when they are busy and it's a large restaurant.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:53 pm

I've noticed this too, mostly at corporate places. Seems like a bit much, but I imagine someone at HQ decided that the phone must be answered on the third ring and also that guests should not approach an empty host stand ever EVER or they might go elsewhere.

Even though it seems that having a group of hosts makes for less efficient service, I doubt anyone will complain as long as most of them are perky teenage girls. Oh, and from what I can tell, they make like $7/hr, so I really don't mind if they don't go crazy on the hard work.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”