Eyetalian

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:50 am

La Rocca is good, but I wouldn't really call it a restaurant. More a cafe or "pizza place." Pizza isn't really what I was wondering about, more authentic Italian restaurants. Papavero is the real deal if a little spendy, excellent pasta bolognese, eggplant parm, porkchop, figs with prosciutto, real mozzarella with fresh green tomatoes, and a nice seafood plate with prawns, calamari and ahi tuna. All the pasta, veg, meats and cheeses tasted great. Lombardino's is next.

I agree, anyplace that sells hummus is not an Italian restaurant. Thats the problem Cube, when you ask for recs from people, you get such a wide set of responses. Many people think good Italian is a Vinny Testa's/Olive Garden chain or facsimile thereof that serves heaping bowls of pasta with red sauce, or they suggest pizza places. I love pizza, but I'm looking for veal saltimbocca or frutti de mare with good wines and maybe some limoncello, not breadsticks or by the slice. Thanks for the suggestions.

And radtek, pizza comes in many shapes, sizes, and styles. Over in Italy its amazing, but not so much obsessed with "Wisconsin" levels of cheese. My bet is you would still like it.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:57 am

Can I just say that I have an irrational hatred for the abbreviation of "parmigiana" to "parm"? "Veg" for "vegetables" is a close second.

Nothing against you personally, b_j. Heh.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:19 am

Book, FYI you should look into that, it could be a problem for you in the world of internet message boards IMO.

LMAO,
-BJ

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:54 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Can I just say that I have an irrational hatred for the abbreviation of "parmigiana" to "parm"? "Veg" for "vegetables" is a close second.

Nothing against you personally, b_j. Heh.

Yeah, "Sammie" for sandwich irks me...but then Rachel Ray sez "Sammie" and she's just so...(Sigh)persuasive-that I can't hold it against her.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:11 pm

NOTHING comes close to the puke that is za for pizza.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:35 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I agree, anyplace that sells hummus is not an Italian restaurant. Thats the problem Cube, when you ask for recs from people, you get such a wide set of responses. Many people think good Italian is a Vinny Testa's/Olive Garden chain or facsimile thereof that serves heaping bowls of pasta with red sauce, or they suggest pizza places. I love pizza, but I'm looking for veal saltimbocca or frutti de mare with good wines and maybe some limoncello, not breadsticks or by the slice. Thanks for the suggestions.

Um, the wife owner is Italian, the husband is from over there in Mediterranean land.

Do some research on the Greenbush neighborhood and the Capadona family. Here, I'll help you start.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:29 pm

So what if they are Italian. The people that own Lombardino's are Irish for foacks sake! That argument is dumb. Bunky's would fall into the "eclectic earthy almost mid-eastern" genre of restaurant land--regardless of nationality of the person that runs it.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:14 am

cubanat wrote:So what if they are Italian. The people that own Lombardino's are Irish for foacks sake! That argument is dumb. Bunky's would fall into the "eclectic earthy almost mid-eastern" genre of restaurant land--regardless of nationality of the person that runs it.

Oh blow me you fucking snob. I kid.

Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby Rachelz » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:33 pm

Ugh - I tried dining at La Rocca's AGAIN (this is the fourth time). The Daily Page lists that the restaurant is open on Sunday, only to drive over there and see that the sign says that they are closed all day on Sunday.

So next we tried Gaston's, also listed as open on Sundays, but that was closed and finally made our way over to Cafe La Bellitalia - OPEN, yea! Had delicious pizza, great service, and got to shake hands with Senator Russ Feingold, who also happened to be dining there.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Rachelz wrote: and got to shake hands with Senator Russ Feingold, who also happened to be dining there.

Whom I'm sure was gracious about having his dinner interrupted. Did you make sure to take some pictures with your camera phone?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:02 pm

Rachelz wrote:Ugh - I tried dining at La Rocca's AGAIN (this is the fourth time). The Daily Page lists that the restaurant is open on Sunday, only to drive over there and see that the sign says that they are closed all day on Sunday.

Not worth the effort, really, unless your idea of good food is a step above microwave cuisine. Which is to say, I don't doubt some folks think this place is swell. I had the Eggplant Florentine, which was two-thirds warmed through and chilled in the center. I didn't bother sending it back, since the flavors offered little hope. (The accompanying red sauce had a simple, pleasing tanginess, though.)

For dessert, I had the cannoli. I know: who would be so foolish as to order cannoli in small-city midwestern America. Maxima me culpa, but still, I was saddened by the glutinous, cloying sweet paste injected in an otherwise reasonable shell â€â€

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:53 pm

fennel wrote:For dessert, I had the cannoli. I know: who would be so foolish as to order cannoli in small-city midwestern America.

Only a big-city blowhard would order cannoli in small-city midwestern America, clearly.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:18 pm

Frank Booth wrote:
fennel wrote:For dessert, I had the cannoli. I know: who would be so foolish as to order cannoli in small-city midwestern America.

Only a big-city blowhard would order cannoli in small-city midwestern America, clearly.

Or perhaps someone who's eaten in more than two Italian restaurants in a lifetime. Hope springs eternal.

Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby Rachelz » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:58 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Rachelz wrote: and got to shake hands with Senator Russ Feingold, who also happened to be dining there.

Whom I'm sure was gracious about having his dinner interrupted. Did you make sure to take some pictures with your camera phone?

Shame on you - never presume. We would never have interrupted his dinner. He was out in the parking lot of the restaurant with the owner getting his picture taken with the owner and his daughter.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:41 pm

fennel wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

Or perhaps someone who's eaten in more than two Italian restaurants in a lifetime. Hope springs eternal.

"Waaaaa!!" cried Goldilocks "I'm adrift in the Midwest and the Cannoli is TOO SWEET!"

"Listen Goily" said the Wolf "Thats what it tastes like the moment you set foot in Newwark N.J. and its gonna be like that until hit SanFrancisco CA!"

Then the wolf ate Goldilocks; he found her suprisingly sweet in the middle!...not what he had suspected at all in the way of sophisticated east coast types..."Ehh! All pretense." said the wolf.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”