Oatmeal Recipes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:42 pm

Well, the Target brand frozen steel-cut oats (available at SuperTarget) left quite a bit to be desired. I hope the real deal is better than that.

diva_arcadia

Postby diva_arcadia » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:40 am

Bwis53,
I like to prepare the oatmeal or granola as usual and then add toasted pecans, pinches to taste of clove, cinnamon, and annis (or a bit of pumpkin pie spice mix if you're rushed), craisins, and fresh figs. If calories weren't an issue, I'd add some mascarpone on top, but I usually go with a little skim. It's so good with a cuppa super strong coffee...happy oatmealing.

District 12 Mom

Postby District 12 Mom » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:35 pm

Are you open to trying oatmeal for dinner? My family enjoys oatmeal risotto with butternut squash. VERY filling. We usually spike it with more cheese than the recipe calls for, and we've used various herbs depending on what's in the fridge.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1227913

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:05 pm

Not healthy, but delicious:
Use whole milk instead of water to cook the standard Quaker Oats. They get a much creamier texture cooked that way; you just can't let it boil, though. When done, take off the lid and stir in 1 tablespoon of real butter (keep the margarine in the 'fridge) and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
Slather with honey and half 'n half.
More of a rich decadent desert oatmeal sorta thing.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:53 am

I like the Willy St. thick cut bulk oats...is that the same thing as steel cut? I cook them slowly with half water/half milk, pinch of salt, dash of mace, drop of vanilla, a chopped apple, walnuts; add real maple syrup and/or brown sugar and butter and a little more milk to cool it, before eating...mmmmm oatmeal weather!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

My We Are Feelin' Our Oats!

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:01 am

I did try one recipe, from Quaker.

I like unsweetened apple sauce, a bit of plain yogurt (or kefir), almond chips, cinnamon and a bit of milk for desired consistancy. Very nice flavor, not too sweet, like the box stuff.

The dinner idea intrigues me.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”