Is the capital square ready for a grocery store?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Is the capital square ready for a grocery store?

Postby dstol62 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:17 pm

Personally, I think the answer is yes. It would not have to be a huge place, and as long as the produce and meat was satisfactory, I think it would work. The hours during the week could be 7am-8pm.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:04 pm

You know the Willy Street Coop is expanding to a second location at Metropolitan Place, right?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:21 pm

I have been very pleasantly surprised by Cap Foods. Last week I happened to be at the Copps Westgate and was amazed at how rotten produce, such as romaine and cauliflower, was. Enroute back home, I stopped at Cap Foods and it was perfect. Personally, I like to think Willy Coop and Cap Foods could compliment each other. I'm sorry to say, the produce can be disappointing at Willy, and pricy. Also, Willy doesn't carry a lot of the brands that Caps does. So I'm not sure Cap's owner needs to be shaking in his boots.

I unsuccessfully searched for the piece about possible future plans for the Brayton parking lot being turned into a Sentry Foods, which would be great. But I guess we have to have Manhattan like density for that to happen.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:00 pm

It's funny, Madison isn't the only city that has had this problem.
Both Milwaukee and Minneapolis have had similar issues.

I don't know of the course of events that followed in Milw and Mpls since those articles were written, but I do know that back in 2004 Roundy's bought a vacated Kohl's grocery store in downtown Milwaukee and transformed it into an experimental store with more of an urban design naming it Metro Market.
http://www.onmilwaukee.com/market/artic ... romkt.html

If Woodman's was smart they'd try something similar in downtown Madison, even though it'd inevitably take some business away from Woodman's east. Although we all know that "new concepts" and buzz words like "bold, dynamic, and urban excitement" couldn't be farther from Woodman's MO.
And if Roundy's wanted more of a stake in the city of Madison's grocery market, perhaps they'd make a bid as well. Keep in mind things like prices, and variety of off-brands in Roundy's corporate owned stores (the 7 Madison area Pick 'N Save stores) blow.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:43 am

MadMind wrote:I don't know of the course of events that followed in Milw and Mpls since those articles were written, but I do know that back in 2004 Roundy's bought a vacated Kohl's grocery store in downtown Milwaukee and transformed it into an experimental store with more of an urban design naming it Metro Market.
http://www.onmilwaukee.com/market/artic ... romkt.html

If Woodman's was smart they'd try something similar in downtown Madison, even though it'd inevitably take some business away from Woodman's east. Although we all know that "new concepts" and buzz words like "bold, dynamic, and urban excitement" couldn't be farther from Woodman's MO.
And if Roundy's wanted more of a stake in the city of Madison's grocery market, perhaps they'd make a bid as well. Keep in mind things like prices, and variety of off-brands in Roundy's corporate owned stores (the 7 Madison area Pick 'N Save stores) blow.

I blame the lack of super market options downtown on your inability to use quotes and italics.

But maybe I'm just being a "dick."

I kid.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:11 am

MadMind wrote:And if Roundy's wanted more of a stake in the city of Madison's grocery market, perhaps they'd make a bid as well. Keep in mind things like prices, and variety of off-brands in Roundy's corporate owned stores (the 7 Madison area Pick 'N Save stores) blow.

Copp's stores are also owned by the Roundy's corporation. But when they bought out Kohl's, they closed the store in Sherman Plaza and passed on the one that was eventually torned down on E. Wash. They don't seem committed to open stores in central city or less affluent areas.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:16 am

Willy fine.
Cap ok.
All Walgreen's has to do is add some produce and meat.
Done.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:31 am

blunt wrote:All Walgreen's has to do is add some produce and meat.

So it can be a really big Market Basket?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:41 am

snoqueen wrote:You know the Willy Street Coop is expanding to a second location at Metropolitan Place, right?

Not to put too fine a point on it here, but Metropolitan Place is not on the Capital Square. It would be cool to have on the Square itself, right by the intersection of the commuter rail, trolley line, Metro bus thing-y.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:45 am

Cap foods produce can be bad too, despite being all gasified and GMO'd. Plus they often have expired dairy products sit on their shelf for over a week. Though the willy st produce can look pathetic at times, at least it looks pathetic because it's only a "little" old.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:43 pm

blunt wrote:All Walgreen's has to do is add some produce and meat.

They have Jack Links and V-8. Whaddya want?

utopia

Postby utopia » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:55 pm

TAsunder wrote:Cap foods produce can be bad too, despite being all gasified and GMO'd. Plus they often have expired dairy products sit on their shelf for over a week. Though the willy st produce can look pathetic at times, at least it looks pathetic because it's only a "little" old.

I've found jams on the shelves at willy that were months (yes, months) old. I took them to the service desk, they didn't really seem too upset.
I now check everything I buy there for expiration.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:34 pm

I check the dates on yogurts and milk particularly. All stores cut corners and leave stuff on the shelf until the last possible minute and longer.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:45 pm

When I was a stocker/bagger at the local grocery store when I was around 16 and in high school, the management of the store always instructed us to rotate when we stocked and put the oldest product that was on the shelf up front and the newest in the back. I worked with a bunch of other high school guys making $3.25 an hour with a lot of other interests than rotating stock. Sometimes we would rotate, sometimes we wouldn't. It usually depended on if a manager was around.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:46 am

A decent grocery on the square is going to be hampered by a few things: price, space, and parking. I can't think of too many spaces near the sqare that are big enough to hold a decent-sized grocery and the accompanying parking space. Also, if such a lot did become available, it would probably be fabulously expensive to develop due to the rather absurdly high property costs in that area.

What I think would be cool would be something like a Milwaukee Public Market space in the downtown area. Instead of one grocery store, you get a dozen or so specialty food areas run by different people. Milwaukee has a Spice House, a latino foods and produce market, a small indian market, a choclatier, a butcher (that sells kobe beef, no less) and a few others. I think something like that could do rather well in the area. I've been to a similar one in Columbus OH that also seemed rather prosperous.

There'd be plenty of room for it on the square if they just got rid of that big stone domed thing that takes up most of the space in the middle. I bet that'd be a great place for more condos. :)

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”