Too hot to cook?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Forum Addict

Too hot to cook?

Postby Rosemary » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:33 am

Welp, we have just a wall unit in my apartment, and it just isn't the same as central air. By the time I finish errands and get home, I just don't want to stand anywhere near a hot stove. I'm eating a lot of raw veggies and minimal-prep meals these days. It's been so quiet 'round here lately that I thought I'd check in with you all and find out what you're doing if it's too hot to cook in your corner of Madison. Eating out more? Eating less? Sweating it up over your cutting board and stove?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:44 am

We've got central air and still don't like using the stove in this weather. Been grilling, both meat and veggies. Last night we had green and red bell peppers, basted in olive oil and garlic, along with Italian sausages. Fish tonight.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:09 pm

"Oriental" flavored pasta salads w/cut up raw veggies
"Mediteranian"(Feta cheese, oregano)pasta salads...
Pesto pasta salad...

One has to find the time to boil the noodles at some point in the day-but its easy to prepare and even keeps a few days...

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:21 pm

I've been making those chunky salads, Ovens of Brittany used to make. Not much meat, a guilty Wisconsin Beef stick now and then. Yogurts, cheeses, almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts. I did have a craving for crispy chicken wings and ate a pile of those, at Sentry, last week. I'll make tea or coffee at home, but that's all I'll light up the stove top for. When I was doing family cooking, I'd use the grill or go deli or carry out.

Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:26 pm

I've pretty much been living off of fresh fruit, salads, cereal, and flavor ice popsicles. I don't eat dinner till 8 or so when it cools down a little, and then I make quesadillas (they don't require the stove to be really hot).

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”