Mad City Crab House?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:15 pm

Since Jerry Minnich gave the Crab shack a thumbs up, I decided to try it out.

The service wasn't the best, since there were only two servers for the crowded restaurant. No host, no bussers, and the kicker - no bartender. I felt bad for the servers who were seating people, serving food, making blender drinks, and clearing tables. For a place with this much emphasis on drinks (good assortment of taps, elaborate girly-drinks, large flatscreen tv) you'd think there would be a bartender.

Avoid the appetizers. We had the Malibu coconut shrimp. For $8.95, I kind of expected more than four of them. And they were overcooked.

The crab cake sandwich was tasty. I'd eat it again. The sweet potato fries were good too. I wish I'd gotten more than eight of them. The coleslaw is disgusting, and I'm glad I only got little sauce cup of it.

All in all, not that impressive, but I'm sure they'll do ok, since they've got the crab-based food restaurant niche cornered.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:57 pm

lysander wrote:... large flatscreen tv ...

Eh, don't you think that might be a clue? Tabs of thorazine treats are a little hard to come by these days.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:07 pm

Just noticed that the Cap Times got in on the action:
http://www.madison.com/tct/entertainmen ... ant/250436

Sounds like they're consistently good on the main dishes, consistently stingy with sides and appetizers.

Fennel, I don't follow. I need a clue as to what you're saying. Thorazine's an antipsychotic med, the bar has a tv, and I'm lost.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”