Wish You Were (Still) Here

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wish You Were (Still) Here

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 am

bmasel wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Josie's: One rung below horrible.

I'd give the food one rung above horrible, but the atmosphere more than made up for it.

You should check out the stamm house then. Equally bad food and similarly dust-soaked wood atmosphere.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:57 am

Atlas Pasta/Atlas Deli, whatever the hell it was called, was the place on Monroe Street that had, easily, the best and biggest sandwiches this town has ever seen. Ultimately, this was probably their downfall; their food cost had to have been through the roof. I was a fan of Radical Rye, too, but I don't put it quite on the same level. Could someone(especially all you Josie haters) point me in the direction of a restaurant that serves Italian sausage/gravy comparable to Josie's(that's all I ever ate there)

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:00 am

Good call on Deb & Lola's, Meow, I had somehow forgotten about that place.

skippy
Forum Addict

Postby skippy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:10 am

The Chicago dog joint on State Street. It's where The Saz is/was. Chicago dog & basket of cheese fries given several liberal splashes of malt vinegar...mmm...

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:26 am

skippy wrote:The Saz

Now that you mention it, yeah, it's only been gone a short time, but I already miss the artichoke chimichangas from the Saz. :(

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:28 am

Rumor mill had it that atlas closed due to workers not being treated fairly and quitting. Not sure if that is true.

Their costs had to be high, yeah. They told me the roasted a turkey each day for their turkey sandwiches.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:33 am

A friend of mine used to cook @ Atlas and mentioned that management there was a bit sketchy, but I don't think to the extent that they would lose their whole staff.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Golden City in Shorewood now Noodles.
Savory Thymes
Cayote Capers
Upstairs Downstairs (the early years)
Hoffman House
Dog Eat Dog on King St.
Luigi's
Opera House on Pickney St

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:38 pm

There's a sign outside the place next to cosi and four star that has been empty for a while now. Seems to be some sort of hot dog place that will be opening soon - the sign is for job opportunities. Maybe this will fill the gap left by dog eat dog. I think there's a decent hot dog place out by fraboni's on monona, somewhere in that area.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

TAsunder wrote:There's a sign outside the place next to cosi and four star that has been empty for a while now. Seems to be some sort of hot dog place that will be opening soon - the sign is for job opportunities. Maybe this will fill the gap left by dog eat dog.

Yeppers.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:51 pm

Mercury Deli weekly delivery--they came right to my desk every Tuesday with that huge pastrami on thick rye. That is, until that mysterious day when all the sandwiches suddenly got smaller and stayed that way.

Tacqueria Gila Monster--El Burro, indeed. And that cheese!

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:17 pm

TAsunder wrote:There's a sign outside the place next to cosi and four star that has been empty for a while now. Seems to be some sort of hot dog place that will be opening soon - the sign is for job opportunities. Maybe this will fill the gap left by dog eat dog. I think there's a decent hot dog place out by fraboni's on monona, somewhere in that area.

Whenever hot dogs come up around here I wonder why Poppa Coronofoulos never gets any love. It's on Buckeye just east of Stoughton Rd., next to PDQ. Best hot dogs I've had in Madison, even when Dog Eat Dog was still around. I wouldn't eat much else there, but the hot dogs are true to the Chicago dog tradition. Yep, neon relish and everything. Good stuff, and I am definitely picky about Chicago dogs.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:25 pm

wack wack wrote:Whenever hot dogs come up around here I wonder why Poppa Coronofoulos never gets any love.

'Cause their hours suck my butt.

I do want to give them a try, but I'm disinclined (nevermind stymied) due to the butt-sucking hours.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Taqueria Gila Monster (love them nachos)

and definitely

Dog Eat Dog

I know the dog replaced the gila, but they both rocked.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:42 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Big Mama & Uncle Fats

and Little Village Cafe.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”