Firefly closing...and becoming Tex Tubbs!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:59 pm

I've eaten at Delmonico's a few times over the years and it's been wildly uneven. It's been near-blissful one or two times and pretty poor other times. I can't explain the changes in quality, either.

Tornado tends to get my business as they're pretty solid on everything, all the time. Maybe not the greatest at everything, but I've never had a bad meal there.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:06 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I'll have to try Tornado and the Chophouse.

I have not been to the Chophouse, but have been to the Tornado many, many times over the years. If you want to experience a classic Wisconsin style supper club in a 70-ish retro setting this is it. The service is supreme, the drinks are yummerific and the food is freaking awesome.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:46 am

Tornado def. next on the list for steak places here in Madison, thanks everyone.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:19 pm

Went the other night and really enjoyed it. The filet was a little bland, but thats my fault for not pairing it with a sauce or a rub. The meat itself was excellent, as were the hash browns, salad, shrimp cocktail and oysters. The decor was unparalleled, it looked like a place that wasn't trying to look retro, but undoubtedly had that 50's look. Very much like the Dresden in LA. Nice.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:32 pm

Thus ends a successful and complete threadjacking.

Stay tuned September 9th for Tex Tubb's new location grand opening.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:35 pm

Considering the quality of the food there, threadjacking is probably due justice.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:27 am

boston_jeff wrote:Went the other night and really enjoyed it. The filet was a little bland, but thats my fault for not pairing it with a sauce or a rub. The meat itself was excellent, as were the hash browns, salad, shrimp cocktail and oysters. The decor was unparalleled, it looked like a place that wasn't trying to look retro, but undoubtedly had that 50's look. Very much like the Dresden in LA. Nice.

I ate there once last summer and everything was bland. The decor was the best part of the experience.

Funny thing is, whenever I speak with someone, they talk about how great Tex Tubbs is. Whenever I go into forums like this, I hear about how bad the place sucks. I will agree with the later. I don't know how a second location will make it.

And, how the hell does 2 fish tacos, beans, rice and a Spotted Cow equate to $15? I have no problem spending money on good food, but I could've done better with some Bucky Badger tortillas, a box of fish sticks and some Ortega refried beans.

It seems like some of Food Fight's restaurants are high on design/style and short on food quality.

We've eaten at the Eldorado a number of times. The last time, we had to send a pancake back TWICE and our last one was still liquid inside so we just gave up. How does a cook/chef f-up a pancake?

Anyone care to review Fresco? I have yet to hear anything good about that place.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:57 am

Jesus christ people. I'm not trying to be a humorless jackass, but other people use this forum for a reference. Let's try to maintain some semblance of organization when we're reviewing eateries.

Tornado review thread

Fresco review thread

Bitching about Food Fight thread

And HeyZ, jeff was reviewing Tornado in the comment you quoted, not Tex Tubbs.

Which, as we all know, is the actual topic of this thread.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Simma there ThreadPolice. I didn't realize this playground was yours, buddy.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:31 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a decent Chicago-style hot dog in this town?

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:35 pm

Does Home Depot still have the hot dog stand at the exit? They had a good Chicago dog.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:43 pm

Now see, that's funny. "Simma," HeyZeus? How long has it been since that was funny? 6, 7 years?

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:34 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Now see, that's funny. "Simma," HeyZeus? How long has it been since that was funny? 6, 7 years?

It's a bit more reserved than just telling you to shut the hell up.

So, you're also the TheTrendPolice? Oh girlfriend, talk to the hand. :P

Don't look now, but there are two different Blue Chalk Club threads. You'd better "police" those next.

morriskatze

Postby morriskatze » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:20 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I stand by my review of El D, and it seems like many on this thread would agree. Typically, the best--insert ethnic food here--is cooked by people of that ethnicity or place of origin in my opinion.

By your definition, El Dorado must be serving great Tex-Mex, since Kevin Tubb is from Texas: http://www.kevintubb.com/bio.html.

However, I don't think either El Dorado Grill or Tex Tubb's Taco Palace is very good Tex Mex. Like Tubb, I grew up in Texas. I have the typical Texan fixation about chips and salsa being on the table at a meal - for free - so it really chaps my hide to pay for chips and salsa at both establishments. Also, I think their entrees are bland and their rice is just plain weird. Not at all like Tex-Mex rice in my experience (and not even a tasty alternative imo).

I admit I haven't really tried the margaritas and tequilas at El Dorado, tho they certainly seem to have a great selection. Not a big drinker, so I can't comment.

As a good-service freak, I also hate that Tex Tubb's has terrible service and a very inconvenient so-called system of ordering and serving food.

I know I'll be blasted again for this, but really, IMHO the best Tex-Mex in town is at Abuelo's in Middleton - admittedly a chain-hell restaurant, but one out of Lubbock that is doing a pretty good job.

I suppose I might try the new location of Tex Tubb's - I'm not real confident I'll like it, but at least I'll have evidence for my complaints. :wink:

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:11 pm

Well, every asian place I've eaten at in madison was better than firefly. I'm guessing Tex Tubbs is better than maybe 1/3 of other taco places in madison. Big improvement in my book.

I wonder how Tex Tubbs compares to Burrito Drive though? I've never had the latter. Who wins in the faux tex-mex wrapped up in flour tortillas on the near east side category?

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”