Firefly closing...and becoming Tex Tubbs!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:51 pm

lukpac wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:Yes. My only complaint is the bad entrees.

What have you had that's bad? I've always liked the chicken fajitas. I've tasted a few other things that seemed pretty good as well.

Sorry, I didn't mean bad, I meant bland. Just about every entree I've had there had little flavor. The beans, the potatos, the pancakes, etc are all flavorless. Like I said, the margaritas, the service, the appetizers are all excellent, I just think the entrees fall flat.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:31 am

That seems to be an overarching problem for foodfight establishments. Like, in the quest for food that everyone will like, they removed any of the flavors that would make things "great" but potentially risky. That's been my beef with Firefly, Luna Cafe, and Ocean Grill. Each time it was conceptually good but tried a little too hard to be friendly to the flavor-averse "average madisonian." Which I'm not sure actually exists.

Which seems like a bad move, since that sort of individual wouldn't try a Firefly in the first place, and it just keeps the people who like interesting food away.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 am

People who eat at a southwest / tex-mex / asian restaurant who can't tolerate spice should be flogged and dropped off at the nearest taco bell.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:16 am

I agree on the El Dorado assessments. Good margs, decent apps, bland entrees. Its a bit overrated by many Madisonians, because when they find out where I live everyone I know recommends it as a "really good restaurant." Not to be repetitive, but I think its difficult for a Gringo-run joint to do really good authentic Mexican or SWestern. It comes off as a bit nicer version of ChiChis with high end tequilas. I'll go for the drinks and the convenience, but I'm still looking for really good burritos and mex/SW in this town (and TTs is not the answer).

On the other hand, two FF establishments do stand out: Delmonicos and Ocean Grill. Delmonicos was up to par with your average high end steakhouse (think Flemings or Mortons). And as an East coast fish lover, I was actually very impressed with the oysters, scallops, and ahi I had at Ocean Grill, fresh, excellent and no bland flavors at all. We probably paid at least 2/3 of what we would pay back home for both of these checks with tip (and you know that Ocean Grill is having all that fresh seafood shipped regularly). Fine dining in Madison is very inexpensive compared to what we are used to...its actually been great eating out here. Obviously you don't have the variety, but the "high end" restos are typically very good, and much cheaper.

For the wife's b-day we did the tasting menu with wine pairings for 85 each at Harvest, a fucking steal!!! Amuse bouche, six courses (1 cheese and 2 dessert) with six wine pairings, and cookies with the check. Seriously, thats an excellent deal. Only in Madison...I'm just bummed that we will run out of restaurants to try.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:35 am

At this point, dude, I am deeply unimpressed by your idee fixe that Boston is some kind of culinary mecca and that living there somehow lends you authority in podunk Madison.

Your bizarre "review" above bears this out. Delmonicos? Ocean Grill? You found these places inexpensive and think that they "stand out"?

As far as the comment that "its [sic] difficult for a Gringo-run joint to do really good authentic Mexican or SWestern," I don't even know where to start with that.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:49 am

Boston has excellent Italian food.
But $85 is a steal? :?

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:55 am

I never said that anyplace was a mecca or anything about Boston, you just want to hate on me for my point of origin. A recurring theme with people on this forum. I said that the seafood at Ocean Grill was up to snuff by East coast standards and that in general, the fine dining here is very good, and a lot cheaper than what I am used to. So I like the experience so far, and in fact, am trying to relate that Madison is by no means a "podunk" place.

Yes, those two restos are very inexpensive for their caliber (compared to what I am used to). High end steak and seafood establishments in most towns are much steeper in price. I'm not saying they are inexpensive in general, I'm saying that in comparison. They "stand out" as FF establishments as compared to the other FF places I have tried (many that were disappointing). I did not mean that they "stand out" in the sense that they are entirely original or the top places in town. For what I paid, and what I got, I was very happy and would return. Not the case for other FF places.

I stand by my review of El D, and it seems like many on this thread would agree. Typically, the best--insert ethnic food here--is cooked by people of that ethnicity or place of origin in my opinion.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:06 am

85 yup, for a multicourse with wine pairings, its a great deal. A few examples of what I was dealing with back home. All three great restaurants mind you, but thats almost double compared to Harvest or the meal I had at L'Etoile.

No. 9 Park: Chef's Tasting, Dinner
Seven Course 90, Paired with Wine 150

Radius: Market Tasting
- 4 courses, 75. per person
Vegetable Tasting
- 4 courses, 60. per person
Deluxe Chef's Tasting
- 7 courses, 105. per person
We will happily match wines with your tasting menu for 40pp/70pp, respectively

L'Espalier:
6 COURSE PRIX FIXE: NINETY-FOUR DOLLARS
VINTNER’S TASTING (FOUR GLASSES): ADD FIFTY-FIVE DOLLARS
GRAND VINTNER’S TASTING (SIX GLASSES): ADD SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS
SUMMER JUICE TASTING: ADD THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS

35 bucks for juice pairings, I love dining here in Madison. Btw, Michael Schlow, Barbara Lynch, and Ming Tsai are some of the top chefs in the world, so don't sell my hometown short (I know everyone is sick of Todd Englsih by now)...

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:33 am

Uh, the problem here is not with Boston....

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:09 pm

Maybe if Tex Tubb spent more time in the kitchen of either of these places, and less time crooning alt country ballads, (and marketing his shit like crazy in the restaurants) quality control might improve. Eldorado is so hit or miss it makes me wonder if half the staff is constantly high.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:22 pm

Pogoagogo wrote:Eldorado is so hit or miss it makes me wonder if half the staff is constantly high.

Clearly you've never worked in a restaurant.

Otherwise you wouldn't need to wonder.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:40 pm

Delmonico's is garbage. They do not even approach Capitol Chophouse, are more expensive and lower quality than Tornado by a wide margin, and just flat out suck overall. I've not been to fleming's, but I have a really hard time believing delmonico's is as good.

Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:50 pm

Once again Pelayos on Stoughton Rd. get's overlooked unfairly. Best/most authentic Mexican food in town...hands down! Blows any of these other wannabe's out of the water, prices are totally reasonable and the service is much better. Forget the rest, Pelayos is the best!

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:59 pm

Maybe you missed the glowing Pelayos thread a while back.

Anyway, this thread wasn't ever really about genuine Mexican.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:22 pm

I'll have to try Tornado and the Chophouse. The porterhouse for two at Delmonicos was actually excellent and not a bad value (35oz steak, two sides and two salads for like $55).

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”