Firefly closing...and becoming Tex Tubbs!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:25 am

ms4denmark wrote:I'd go to Firefly before it closes, but then again, I know it wouldn't be open like the many times I tried going in it's time open.

Stupidest. Hours. Ever.

Hours: Brunch, Sun 9 - 2 pm,
Lunch, Mon - Fri 11 - 5 pm,
Dinner, Sun - Thurs, 5 - 9 pm, Fri and Sat 5 - 10 pm.
Happy Hour M-F, 4:30PM-6:30PM

How are these hours stupid? We're not open for lunch one day of the week. Do you want lunch at 10AM?

*confused*

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:33 am

eurotic wrote:
ms4denmark wrote:Hours: Brunch, Sun 9 - 2 pm,
Lunch, Mon - Fri 11 - 5 pm,
Dinner, Sun - Thurs, 5 - 9 pm, Fri and Sat 5 - 10 pm.
Happy Hour M-F, 4:30PM-6:30PM

How are these hours stupid? We're not open for lunch one day of the week. Do you want lunch at 10AM?

*confused*

No, but I'd like lunch at say, oh, I don't know maybe some ludicrous time like 1pm on a Saturday. Or, when I'm out and about on the Westside on a Sunday, maybe I want to have an early dinner and don't feel like hanging around the area until 5pm for it to open. I must have always hit those magic hours of INoperation.

I'll rephrase my statement. Stupidest. Weekend. Hours. Ever.

eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:55 am

ms4denmark wrote:No, but I'd like lunch at say, oh, I don't know maybe some ludicrous time like 1pm on a Saturday. Or, when I'm out and about on the Westside on a Sunday, maybe I want to have an early dinner and don't feel like hanging around the area until 5pm for it to open. I must have always hit those magic hours of INoperation.

I'll rephrase my statement. Stupidest. Weekend. Hours. Ever.

The majority of the lunch crowd during the week comes from local businesses and the hospital, so financially (and if I recall correctly) it doesn't make sense to have to pay everyone for a small lunch crowd. And we serve people continuously throughout the day, meaning if you come in at 4 or 4:30 you'll of course be sat and served. 5PM is the "official" time (and most restaurants make this known in some way, just so people don't try and order lunch at 7PM), but why the heck would we turn away business if everyone's there? It's not like we don't have the food or something.:)

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:39 am

i heart sarah sushi

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:44 am

eurotic wrote:The majority of the lunch crowd during the week comes from local businesses and the hospital, so financially (and if I recall correctly) it doesn't make sense to have to pay everyone for a small lunch crowd. And we serve people continuously throughout the day, meaning if you come in at 4 or 4:30 you'll of course be sat and served. 5PM is the "official" time (and most restaurants make this known in some way, just so people don't try and order lunch at 7PM), but why the heck would we turn away business if everyone's there? It's not like we don't have the food or something.:)

....uh, weekday service has what to do with my remarks about weekend hours. Statement still stands.

eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:47 am

ms4denmark wrote:
eurotic wrote:The majority of the lunch crowd during the week comes from local businesses and the hospital, so financially (and if I recall correctly) it doesn't make sense to have to pay everyone for a small lunch crowd. And we serve people continuously throughout the day, meaning if you come in at 4 or 4:30 you'll of course be sat and served. 5PM is the "official" time (and most restaurants make this known in some way, just so people don't try and order lunch at 7PM), but why the heck would we turn away business if everyone's there? It's not like we don't have the food or something.:)

....uh, weekday service has what to do with my remarks about weekend hours. Statement still stands.

Well you were talking about Saturday, so I addressed that. Then you mentioned Sunday, where we serve brunch and then dinner. To the best of my knowledge we don't close the restaurant at any point so if you were to come in at 4 on a Sunday I can only assume (knowing the kitchen and staff) that you would be sat and, if the kitchen was ready, allowed to order off the dinner menu.

The weekends are a bit different at Firefly in terms of hours, but there's not that much of a difference.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:04 pm

I will miss the Firefly martini with ginger infused vodka. Will they keep that on the menu in the bar?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:19 pm

This isn't the same restaurant that was there before '03? There used to be a place that served nice pastry and tea, even late evenings. (I don't always feel like having a beer.) I think this was before all the coffee shops.

d2drums

Postby d2drums » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:22 pm

simple dorky little post on a forum...
I wrote this of my own volition, as I wasn't asked by FF to do so.
Anyway, I've invested far too much time amusing myself on this thread.

...Yet, here you are, again somehow defending "your" place of employment. What gives, dude? Are you a company whore, or just a Dudley Do-right out to help us common folk find bigger and better Foodfighttm establishments? You're the one stepping up to the plate now, not I. If this is such a waste of your time, why bother? I suppose.... gotta keep that "second income" in good standing. :twisted:

eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:27 am

d2drums wrote:
simple dorky little post on a forum...
I wrote this of my own volition, as I wasn't asked by FF to do so.
Anyway, I've invested far too much time amusing myself on this thread.

...Yet, here you are, again somehow defending "your" place of employment. What gives, dude? Are you a company whore, or just a Dudley Do-right out to help us common folk find bigger and better Foodfighttm establishments? You're the one stepping up to the plate now, not I. If this is such a waste of your time, why bother? I suppose.... gotta keep that "second income" in good standing. :twisted:

Well a few questions were asked and I figured I might clear up some misconceptions. That's not a waste of time to me at all. I'd actually consider it being somewhat polite.

And considering you've never been there, I find it odd that you're still judging "my" place of employment (and what's with the ""s by the way? It IS a place that employs me). I happen to really enjoy working there and was asked to get the word out. Sure, it's a second job and of course I need to keep my second income in good standing-- um, I have bills to pay and not many people (maybe you?) work because they LOVE to work, but I also know a good many people whose ONLY income is working there so if that helps them all the better. So yeah, I am a Dudley Do-Right I guess. I care about my coworkers. Go me.

And I'm hardly a company whore (maybe a part time one? j/k.), but I do really respect all the people I work with at the restaurant and we're all pretty close, so if posting on a forum to tell people what's going on and dealing with a few small-minded, anti-company (and as we all know, Food Fight is MASSIVE...wait, no it isn't. It's not Exxon or Haliburton, y'know. Heck, it's not even Charter.) people who haven't even got the common decency to comment on something from experience, rather "what you heard," then so be it.

You can throw whatever names you want at me, but the fact is you're just a troll with no basis for judgment and have been called on it by several people not having anything to do with the restaurant. I'd tell you to come out to Firefly and check it out yourself but since you've already condemned it (and it seems the same with all of the restaurants that Food Fight owns, probably without trying them either) there's really not much point as you've set yourself up for disappointment. I'm not saying the place is perfect-- heck, there are definitely some reasons that we're closing-- but I think that there's definitely a lot of great things about the place too, so there ya go.

When you have some basis for a realistic argument based on actual facts let me know, as until then you're just spewing unfounded opinions because you're an anonymous face on the internet and anyone with half a brain can see that.

Again though, thanks for coming back and tossing some names my way. It not only gives me a chance to counter your inane arguments but bumps the thread back onto the main page. Thanks for the free publicity.:)

Silly troll...

rryan

El Dorado consistently good, in my book

Postby rryan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:18 pm

I find El Dorado overblown, overpriced, and generally not worth the trip.

True, El Dorado is not for the faint of wallet, but I think the value is good. There's no other place in Madison with the variety of Mascal tequilas featured at El Dorado - and no other bar staff (that I know of) who squeezes all those limes (for their margaritas) by hand each night.

As for food, I've had dinner there once every couple of months for a year, and their house entrees are consistently delicious.

I'm sure you can find more 'authentic' Mexican food at other places - and for less money - but I don't think that's what El Dorado had in mind.

From my perch, El Dorado is best enjoyed by the sip, not the gulp. If you want to enjoy a great margarita (or two) with solid service and unique, tasty entrees that you can't find anyplace else, El Dorado is a good bet.

Now, who serves the best mole in Madison?

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:03 pm

I have some friends/work colleagues from out West who love El Dorado and come to town two or three times a year. I've been there about 8 times in the past two years. Here is my very brief analysis of El Darado: The servers are friendly, the margaritas are splendid, the appitizers are yummy, the entrees are bland.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:20 pm

white_rabbit wrote:The servers are friendly, ...

But are they good? Friendly service I can find just about anywhere, and that's dandy. But what I'm looking for is competent, efficient service. Warm is good, but when I hear friendly, warning bells go off — as if it's a stand-in for good service. (By the way, this comment isn't specific to this thread and isn't meant to unfairly construe WR's comments.)

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:31 pm

fennel wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:The servers are friendly, ...

But are they good?

Yes. My only complaint is the bad entrees.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:42 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Yes. My only complaint is the bad entrees.

What have you had that's bad? I've always liked the chicken fajitas. I've tasted a few other things that seemed pretty good as well.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”