Cheap outdoor eating

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
BillyO

Cheap outdoor eating

Postby BillyO » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:12 pm

Does anybody know of a restaurant/pub that matches these criteria? - outdoor seating, inexpensive, not downtown. Recommendations for places outside of Madison are welcome and encouraged. Thanks in advance!

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:14 pm

They have a couple of outdoor tables at the McDonald's on Park Street, you can buy a $.99 double cheeseburger and eat it outside. No table-side service, but you have a nice view of the south-side Metro transfer station.

BillyO

Postby BillyO » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:17 pm

white_rabbit wrote:They have a couple of outdoor tables at the McDonald's on Park Street, you can buy a $.99 double cheeseburger and eat it outside. No table-side service, but you have a nice view of the south-side Metro transfer station.

ha... not exactly what I intended, but it does meet the criteria. :)

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:29 pm

Two words: Weber grill.

Two more: Memorial Union.

Three more: Get a clue.

BillyO

Postby BillyO » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:21 am

spanky wrote:Two words: Weber grill.

It'd be nice if people could reply to posts without providing snide answers. What do you expect to gain from this.. me saying "ah yes, get a clue ha ha, touché, you have me there! "? I have a grill; that's not the point. I'm looking for a bar/grill type place with outdoor seating that comes with recommendations. I could just go to every towny bar around until I find something good, but really, that's not the best use of time with this forum is available.

BillyO

Postby BillyO » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:22 am

spanky wrote:Two words: Weber grill.

It'd be nice if people could reply to posts without providing snide answers. What do you expect to gain from this.. me saying "ah yes, get a clue ha ha, touché, you have me there! "? I have a grill; that's not the point. I'm looking for a bar/grill type place with outdoor seating that comes with recommendations. I could just go to every towny bar around until I find something good, but really, that's not the best use of time with this forum is available.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:04 am

All right, not a snide answer, Great Dane, both downtown or in Fitchburg. Good Food, outdoor seating, good beer and it will not cost you an arm and a leg.

d2drums

Postby d2drums » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Billy has a point... and I'm as guilty as the next person of the "smart assed comment". This page does have a rep for the beat down one gets when posting questions or comments.

My wife and I are about to leave for lunch at an as of yet unknown location. Were were also trying to drum up ideas of outdoor locations, but not in the downtown area. Kind of tough... It's too bad The Bourbon Street Grill is so god awful, or I'd suggest that.

AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:44 pm

We like Nau-Ti-Gal in Westport. They have good beer on tap (only 3 days until I can have one again!), the food is good and you get cookie dough with salads. I don't think we've ever had a bad experience there, and considering the lack of restaurants on my side of town, we've had plenty of meals there.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:05 pm

AmyW wrote:(only 3 days until I can have one again!),

Good luck and best wishes with offspring #2!!

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:40 am

I like nau-ti-gal too but it isn't cheap.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:16 am

TAsunder wrote:I like nau-ti-gal too but it isn't cheap.

How cheap is cheap?

Osterio Papavera has a small outdoor seating space, but the entrees are more than reasonable and the drink prices are average.

Food is great, service is great.

Basically, entree prices are $9 to $20. The bulk of the entree menu seems to be around 9-12. Well worth it.

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:46 am

Towny bar?

Cookie dough with a salad?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:26 pm

You've got yer food carts.

Paisan's patio is pretty nice and reasonable. My office went there recently and I paid under $10. for lunch. (around $7)

The Parthenon is O.K. But I don't see the point of some of the out-door sidewalk cafe, that seem pretty much like eating on the curb, with a gate, and carbon monoxide, oh, and noise.

You could also go to Scott's, on the Square, and carry out one of their yummy hard salami, sour dough, onion, mustard,tomato,lettuce sandwiches. At least you're not paying Brocach prices and the benches around the Square are just as comfortable. Unless you're one of the hoity-toity that needs to be seen behind a velvet gate.

BillyO

Postby BillyO » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:42 pm

Bwis53 wrote:You've got yer food carts.

Paisan's patio is pretty nice and reasonable. My office went there recently and I paid under $10. for lunch. (around $7)

The Parthenon is O.K. But I don't see the point of some of the out-door sidewalk cafe, that seem pretty much like eating on the curb, with a gate, and carbon monoxide, oh, and noise.

You could also go to Scott's, on the Square, and carry out one of their yummy hard salami, sour dough, onion, mustard,tomato,lettuce sandwiches. At least you're not paying Brocach prices and the benches around the Square are just as comfortable. Unless you're one of the hoity-toity that needs to be seen behind a velvet gate.

Fantastic, these are excellent. I know I said I preferred restaurants not downtown, but Scott's sounds like a hell of an option. Thanks!

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”