so...very...poor (but still hungry)

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:30 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Got me on ignore or something, Chuck?

You say something?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:19 pm

Regarding whether eggs "are good," I wasn't speaking in terms of microbes.
I suppose if I were truly starving, I'd eat a past-date egg, but ordinarily, typically starving? Nah. Into the compost.

So you might say an egg remains fresh for a week or so beyond the harvest date, it will remain legal to sell for as long as five weeks. And it probably won't kill you for as long as seven weeks if kept refrigerated. Some say we eat to live, some say we eat not to be killed. Heh.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:23 pm

fennel wrote:Regarding whether eggs "are good," I wasn't speaking in terms of microbes.
I suppose if I were truly starving, I'd eat a past-date egg, but ordinarily, typically starving? Nah. Into the compost.

There's high standards, and then there's unmitigated waste.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:29 pm

fennel wrote:I suppose if I were truly starving, I'd eat a past-date egg, but ordinarily, typically starving? Nah. Into the compost.

I hope you're just composting the shells, because you really shouldn't be putting whole eggs into your compost.

Good Lord but this is one of the most misunderstood of the simple domestic sciences ...

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:32 pm

I've eaten eggs that were three months and a week past their due date. I didn't really intend to, but I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, three of them, scrambled. Coming out of the shell they seemed a tad more ... gummy? than usual, and that's when I checked the past due date. I keep my fridge at about 32 + epsilon degrees, so stuff tends to keep pretty well in there (milk a month past the due date is routinely still ok), and they smelled fine, so what the hell. I threw a little liquid in there to replace what was lost over the months, and they cooked and tasted fine.

I don't make a habit of this sort of thing, mind you. That episode grosses me out in hindsight, I will not repeat it.

northwoods_babe

Postby northwoods_babe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Quick rotten egg test:

Fill a pot with cold water and gently drop in the eggs. If they pop back to the surface, throw them out.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:44 pm

I've eaten eggs my whole life and never knew there was an expiry date, and have never gotten sick.--except once when I ate out for brekkie in the Dells.
Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:49 pm

northwoods_babe wrote:Quick rotten egg test:

Fill a pot with cold water and gently drop in the eggs. If they pop back to the surface, throw them out.

Seriously - what the fuck?
Was my previous post completely invisible?

Heeeelllllooooooooooooooooo... ?
Can anybody hear me?

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:49 pm

What post?

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:55 pm

Well, you better not drop your remaining slivers of food into the trolley tracks, because you won't be getting /those/ back anytime soon!

(just figured this thread needed some trolley hate.)

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:41 pm

When I was in college I pretty much lived off of cheese sandwiches and ramen noodles..oh yeah and lots of beer (wonder why I didn't have money for food? hmmm....) But once I got to grad school and I was older and realized I couldn't live on a diet like that anymore, I got pretty creative.

A good money-saving tip is to make things like soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, etc in large quantities and then freeze it in individual servings. That way, you are not ony eating pretty cheap, but you are also eating healthier than you would if you were eating pre-made stuff out of cans. For example, a big pot of lentil soup is really cheap to make and will last you a long time.
Also, oatmeal from scratch (not the quick oats packets) is really cheap and really filling at the same time. You can add in some walnuts or brown sugar or raisins or whatever and it is pretty tasty!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:34 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:I hope you're just composting the shells, because you really shouldn't be putting whole eggs into your compost.

Good Lord but this is one of the most misunderstood of the simple domestic sciences ...

Hmm, I don't know what their rationale is, but I find eggs compost fine. But, too, the eggs aren't whole, since I usually take the opportunity to work on my pitching skills. From the back porch to the compost bin is just about regulation distance.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:48 am

fennel wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote:I hope you're just composting the shells, because you really shouldn't be putting whole eggs into your compost.

Hmm, I don't know what their rationale is, but I find eggs compost fine.

Steak tartare might too, but try keeping the critters away from that.

Milk, dairy, meat, and whole eggs attract rodents (or worse, depending on where you live). Egg shells should be washed and crushed before composting.

Bella

Postby Bella » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:10 am

snoqueen wrote:Years 'n years ago, I had the Summer of Potatoes. At the time I think they were the cheapest thing available. What's funny is I cooked them on the bottom of my iron! In those days every girl went off to college with an iron (I'm not sure we IRONED with the iron) and I had mine along. I was living in a rented room with no kitchen facilities, and this was before everyplace had a microwave.

If you turn an iron upside down (you have to build a little support thing with a couple of broken bricks) it works like a hotplate. You can fry an egg on the Wool setting, and if you turn it clear up to Linen it'll boil a small amount of water in a little pan and you can cook a chopped up potato.

Also I knew enough to locate places to pick lambs quarters (a decent edible weed) so I got some greens with my eggs and potatoes. I think this was around the summer of 1967. I was much better at making do than I was at making friends. The real way to get along is have friends.

I love the Summer of Potatoes! I am guessing it was probably similar to the summer of love...Thanks for the advice, although I am a little leary of cooking with an iron!!

Bella

Postby Bella » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:21 am

auntgoodness wrote:Rice and beans ala Goodness (rice from scratch, beans from cans, taco bell taco sauce packets and lots of black pepper and salt) and Peanut butter(on cheap white bread or just a spoon) were standbys in my poorer days.

I once ate for almost a week on "one free burger at Burger King" coupons I happened upon. No big surprise I don't really like Burger King anymore!

My grandma tells stories of beans or even just gravy on toast. Old bread works fine for that. Check the day-old bins when you can round up some change. Call it Bullets and Whistleberries on Toast to make it fun.

Here's hoping for a large pizza soon, Bella!

I love the rice and beans recipe, that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for...I am really craving a pizza from Glass Nickel...The one with the BBQ and Chicken!!

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”