so...very...poor (but still hungry)

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Bella

so...very...poor (but still hungry)

Postby Bella » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:45 pm

So...I am as poor as can be but still starving, so I have had to scrounge around the kitchen in search of sustenence...I have been forced to eat things that have been hanging around for quite some time (why did I buy this stuff?) many past their "Best By Date". Tonight it's Beef Rice O' Roni with some questionable frozen mushrooms that have been in the freezer for over a year...I am going to have to improvise for almost a week yet, until payday, so I have to ask..

Does anyone have any stories about what they had to eat in a poverty pinch? Also...how long are eggs good after their expiration date? any chance it's two months?

JohnnyBlood

RE: Hunger

Postby JohnnyBlood » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:12 pm

In college I ate a lot of Ramen noodles, day-old bread, whatever was on sale, and clipped coupons. I also learned it was easier to ask everyone on my dorm floor to 'borrow' 25 cents than it was to ask one person for $10.00. I also invited myself to dinner at a different sorority house each week. That way I was guaranteed a nice home cooked meal every week. Since then I haven't had to worry about it.

If you're really that hungery I would suggest getting a part-time job, perhaps at a restaurant.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:28 pm

I remember being given a half bushel of Delicata squash when I was broke. Salvation! I have yet to taste better squash. (Home-grown in rich compost.)
Served with short-grain brown rice, I've never had a meal more satisfying.

Old eggs are to be avoided like the plague. Sell-by dates for eggs are absurdly extended. I say into the compost with 'em if the date is less than 10 days off. I look for a 3-week margin when purchasing.

Dry beans, purchased in bulk, are nearly as cheap as dirt. (Certainly cheaper than potting soil.) Soak overnight and rinse thoroughly, cook 'em in a crockpot with seasoning, and serve with rice â€â€
Last edited by fennel on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:53 pm

"Say, can I have some of your purple berries?"

"Yes, I've been eating them for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once."

"Probably keep us both alive."

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:34 pm

Is this a long term problem or a short term problem?

If it's long term, you might want to investigate food stamps or food banks.

If it's a short term problem, you may still want to do that, and repay later.

Learn to budget.

I once knew a very frugal student who brought home left-overs, from working at the student union.

I'll never forget, many years ago, I was between jobs, and only had a few dollars to last about two weeks. I had instant breakfast, egg and bread at lunch, and one-pot meal for dinner. A friend,foreign student, from India, called me up to say hi. Upon hearing of my slim means, he lent me some of his dad's money. Mifflin Coop had potatoes and rutabagas for a few cents.

Or also, consider barter. You got some time or skill? Trade for food! No need to stand on the corner with a tin, er foam cup.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:46 pm

fennel wrote:Old eggs are to be avoided like the plague. Sell-by dates for eggs are absurdly extended. I say into the compost with 'em if the date is less than 10 days off. I look for a 3-week margin when purchasing.

BZZZT. You can go well past a carton of eggs' sell-by date, if they've been stored properly. So says my food microbiologist SO. Maybe even up to a month, but past that gets sketchy. Two months is downright dicey.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:37 am

Years 'n years ago, I had the Summer of Potatoes. At the time I think they were the cheapest thing available. What's funny is I cooked them on the bottom of my iron! In those days every girl went off to college with an iron (I'm not sure we IRONED with the iron) and I had mine along. I was living in a rented room with no kitchen facilities, and this was before everyplace had a microwave.

If you turn an iron upside down (you have to build a little support thing with a couple of broken bricks) it works like a hotplate. You can fry an egg on the Wool setting, and if you turn it clear up to Linen it'll boil a small amount of water in a little pan and you can cook a chopped up potato.

Also I knew enough to locate places to pick lambs quarters (a decent edible weed) so I got some greens with my eggs and potatoes. I think this was around the summer of 1967. I was much better at making do than I was at making friends. The real way to get along is have friends.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:04 am

TheBookPolice wrote:You can go well past a carton of eggs' sell-by date, if they've been stored properly.
You mean in an egg carton in your refrigerator? 'Cause that's how I store'em and I've eaten them loooooong past their sell-by date (much to the disgust of my wife.)

Regardless of how long they last, there are two very simple methods of testing them for rottenness.

Test #1:Gently lower the egg into a glass of water. A rotten egg will float (and I mean float - standing on one end but still resting on the bottom just means it ain't the freshest -- but it's still fine.)
Test #2: Crack it open and take a whiff. Rotten eggs stink something fierce and unless you have an olfactory disorder, the idea that anyone could accidentally eat one is pretty hard to swallow (if you'll forgive the pun.)

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:29 am

i was making cookies or something once. I had everything in there, took an egg, split it on the side of the bowl. It just fell right in, totally bad. I can't remember the stink, but the consistency of the egg gave it away right away. No doubt it was bad. it had no consistency, the white part lost it's stickiness.

not the time for it, but soup goes a long way and is cheap. I make up bean burritos and freeze them. a 2 pound bag of them, some cheese, shells, salsa....for $6 you can get 10 burritos.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:38 am

TheBookPolice wrote:BZZZT. You can go well past a carton of eggs' sell-by date, if they've been stored properly. So says my food microbiologist SO. Maybe even up to a month, but past that gets sketchy. Two months is downright dicey.

Word. Unless you're olfactory-impaired, you'll know when a carton of eggs is bad. At least, you will once you crack one of them.

I agree though, two months is stretching it.

Speaking of eggs, back when I was at the end of my budget and days away from a paycheck it was a cracked egg in a pot of Ramen for my protein fix.

Sorry to hear things are so tight for you, Bella. Here's hoping things start looking up very soon.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:49 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:
Unless you're olfactory-impaired, you'll know when a carton of eggs is bad. At least, you will once you crack one of them.

In other words, what I said.
Got me on ignore or something, Chuck?
It won't work - I still want my prize.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:19 pm

Rice and beans ala Goodness (rice from scratch, beans from cans, taco bell taco sauce packets and lots of black pepper and salt) and Peanut butter(on cheap white bread or just a spoon) were standbys in my poorer days.

I once ate for almost a week on "one free burger at Burger King" coupons I happened upon. No big surprise I don't really like Burger King anymore!

My grandma tells stories of beans or even just gravy on toast. Old bread works fine for that. Check the day-old bins when you can round up some change. Call it Bullets and Whistleberries on Toast to make it fun.

Here's hoping for a large pizza soon, Bella!

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:45 pm

During tight times I've been amazed at how far $10 bucks can go buying staples at Aldi's.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:09 pm

I bet those staples went down a little rough though, hey? Must be a lot of iron in them?

JohnnyBlood

Ketchup?

Postby JohnnyBlood » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:22 pm

I've also heard you can make a nice tomato soup out of free ketchup packets from fast food joints and some hot water.

Also, you should check out FatWallet.com. There you can find a lot of free opportunities for food. For example:

* Free custard at Culver's on June 21
* Free BBQ sauce: http://www.countrybobs.com/pages/signup.asp
* Free popcorn http://walmart.triaddigital.com/enhance ... 14990.aspx
* Free health drinks http://naturesbestway.healthy-living.or ... ntials.php
* Free Ensure drink https://ensure.com/registration.aspx?s=sample
* And free Beano from the gas you're bound to get from the irregular diet http://www.beanogas.com/Default.aspx

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”