Nice Time @ The Local

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Nice Time @ The Local

Postby cubanat » Wed May 30, 2007 10:42 am

Was out wandering around on the square and happened over to the Local Tavern. Looking for food and drinks we found out the kitchen had closed (by 5:30ish) but were thrilled to find out that the owners were serving free food right off the grill! Classic Cook-out stuff...hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, beans, the works. Apparently , they give the kitchen a break to take on the food themselves. Bar was open, beautiful night, good friends....what more can you ask for? They plan on doing it on Labor Day too. My advice is to get there earlier than we did as we missed the deviled eggs that the owner kept bragging about...

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Nice Time @ The Local

Postby Marvell » Wed May 30, 2007 11:36 am

cubanat wrote:They plan on doing it on Labor Day too. My advice is to get there earlier than we did as we missed the deviled eggs that the owner kept bragging about...

What, did Aerosmith eat them all?

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:13 pm

Though I like their selection of taps, and the presence of good local microbrews, I've had terrible luck there with service. Bartenders for me have been seemingly inattentive. My group of friends were also charged different prices for the same drink. This was a few months back, so perhaps they have cycled some new staff in.

I kinda like the atmophere in the place, so it's a shame.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:21 pm

Exact opposite experience for me. Bartenders have been great, chatty and fun. Even when it's been packed, I've never had a problem getting food and/or drink.

I usually sit at the bar there, so I don't have much on the waitstaff, but the Local is turning into one of my favorite stops. The fact that it's about 30 steps from my desk doesn't hurt.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:04 pm

hm, perhaps i just smelled bad?

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:37 pm

The food has definitley gotten better since the chef changed but the service is still touch & go. I think it depends upon the day one is there-it can be great one day and awful the next. I mentioned this to the owner on mem.day and he said he's working on the service issues daily...the fried chicken is just so good I will put up with the lackluster service.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”