Rhubarb surplus

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
District 12 Mom

Rhubarb surplus

Postby District 12 Mom » Tue May 22, 2007 2:39 pm

The rhubarb plant I added to the yard a couple of years ago has finally hit its stride. So far I've made rhubarb sauce and a couple of kinds of rhubarb cake, but I'm still looking for fun ways to make the most of the bumper crop.

Anyone have any favorite rhubarb recipes they're willing to share?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 22, 2007 4:31 pm

Freeze what you can't eat. Clean and cut into half inch pieces. Seal it in a freezer bag and stick it in the back of the freezer, then rediscover your rhubarb in late winter. A nice January or February treat.

Sorry, no specific rhubarb recipe. That's Ms Vilas' territory.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 pm

Do you have a rhubarb crisp recipe?

If not, try this:

Combine 3 cups diced rhubarb, 1 cup sugar and 3 table spoons flour and mix. Place in a deep, square, greased baking dish (like an 11 or 12 inch square). Next, in your bowl combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup Quaker oats, 1 1/2 cups flour and cut in a cup of butter with a pastry cutter/blender until you have nice, crumbly mixture. Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture in the greased pan and then bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes.

Let cool for a little bit, but then serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and you will have rhubarb orgasms.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”